Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 07:36 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,517,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
Wow! roadpony, from what you posted, folks in the Triad area sure have changed since we lived there! Either that, or things are VERY different in Winston Salem than the greater Greensboro area.

We moved to Guilford County back in 1992, and finally moved back north (to DE) about 1-1/2 years ago. In all that time, we were pretty much those "damn yankees" (oh no, not MORE of them!). Even our kids had trouble being accepted, as they were not born and bred there.

Perhaps things would have been different if we'd lived in Greensboro, not in the country. But IMHO, the "natives" may turn on the southern charm, but behind the scenes, most would really rather we outsiders NOT continue flocking to their state.

Mary
I was speaking from the perspective of living IN Winston-Salem. The OP did not specify country vs. city living. Obviously, transplants can be viewed differently in a rural setting vs. urban or suburban. Also, the "Triad" is a diverse region. It's difficult, if not impossible, to make generalizations that will apply to all parts of the region when speaking of the natives' attitudes.

Your experience would likely have been different if you'd lived IN Greensboro, rather than in the country.

Cruikshl has good advice for any transplant, wherever you are from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 03:05 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,205,537 times
I know this is an old post, but if anyone has any new info on this info, I'd love to hear. I'm an expat living in Asia and in the coming years need to move back to the U.S. Originally from Jersey, I have had employment experience with a company in Greensboro (in their Asia company though) where I felt there was always this group that I was never apart of because I was a Yank and they we're all from the south (Mostly local Greensboro guys and other NC/SC guys). Has anyone experienced this as a northerner recently moving to NC? Is it better in larger cities like Charlotte and Raleigh?

Old 07-07-2013, 07:56 AM

60 posts, read 131,213 times
JakinChina - I can speak to Winston Salem...we just moved here from Syracuse NY and I haven't experienced any "us vs them" mentality at all. In fact, people have generally been nicer than upstate NYers (not meant as a criticism of upstate NY, which we quite enjoyed, but people seem to have a sunnier disposition here). I suspect this won't be an issue for you in Gboro.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:57 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,205,537 times
Thanks CNY....I think if your friendly and nice to people, they'll be the same back to you no matter where you're from. My main concern is with employment. I think were planning on Charlotte, but I'd be open to settling down in other NC cities as well.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:46 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,372,032 times
North Carolina, as a whole, is very transplant-friendly. There are exceptions, of course, but the Triad isn't one of them. Lots of transplants in both Winston and Greensboro. At least half of the people I know there aren't from NC. There are over a million people in the combined Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point area, with nationally recognized hospitals, several good-sized universities, major companies (Hanes, RJ Reynolds, Lorillard, VF, BB&T and more all hq-ed in the Triad, with major presence there from Volvo, Honda(jet), etc.) and other draws for people from all over. So no, I don't think you'll have a problem as a transplant. Now, having said that, it's tough to recommend that anyone move anywhere without employment prospects lined up. So no matter what the area, caveat emptor.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:54 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,799,180 times
It really comes down to attitude more than where you are from. I'm sure you know the NY/NJ stereotype of loud, rude, in-your-face types who complain about everything and say how much better things were where they came from. Unfortunately, while most from the North are not like that, natives have had enough encounters with some who are, to have a tendency to judge someone from that area, especially if they have the telltale NYC area accent, as an "obnoxious New Yorker/Joisey type". Make sure right off the bat that you dispel that stereotype and you should do fine, and you might even teach people about stereotypes by example. Urban areas in NC are used to transplants from everywhere, but again, it's not the "where" but the (presumed) attitude, so just be the exception to the stereotype and you'll have no problem.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:51 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,549,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Thanks CNY....I think if your friendly and nice to people, they'll be the same back to you no matter where you're from. My main concern is with employment. I think were planning on Charlotte, but I'd be open to settling down in other NC cities as well.
If you move here and an have attitude like the poster below, you indeed will have a difficult time adjusting:
Quote:
Originally Posted by emily724 View Post
I have found Greensboro to be exurban Jesusland. In other words, yes, very boring--and more. Like many parts of the SE, it's INSULAR. A Bible Belt city with a stagnant economy. Italians are considered exotic outsiders. If you don't belong to a "faith group" of some sort or are an atheist, it's that much harder to find work, make friends, feel at home. People here definitely "hang" and hire within their faith groups.

The public schools are mediocre at best. Primary and secondary education is not up to par with other parts of the country. They set lower standards here, have lower expectations for students and have dropout rates. The spending per pupil is pitiful. The area also has a low proportion of college graduates.

If you have children and send them to private schools here, you'll find the teacher quality wanting. Teachers are not paid well in this "right to work" state and it is not a sought after profession.

There is little culture to speak of and no major city within easy driving distance.

Sure, you can pay to dine well at one of a handful of fine restaurants, but the city's overall food culture is bleh at best. Good, affordable takeout and moderately priced dining doesn't exist. Of course, there are plenty of corporate dining chains.

Sure, it's quite green where they haven't blacktopped it for another Walmart, but still very difficult to escape to the natural world and go for a hike without getting in your car and driving a distance. There is no topography and no natural bodies of water or flowing rivers. We drink our storm runoff.

The city is not convenient to the beach and the mountains--4+ hours to the beach.

The far right wing now controls the state legislature, which is in the midst of slashing education spending and further ruining what was once the best part of this state--it's university system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point