Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 12:46 PM

18 posts, read 36,990 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My partner and I and our two young kids just moved to Winston from a bigger, more liberal city for a job. We're enjoying the slower pace but wondering if Greensboro may have more of "our people." We have family in the RDU area and would love to live in a place like Carrboro for its vegetarian-friendliness and all around liberal and crunchy vibe but my partner doesn't want an hour-long commute. Are there any neighborhoods in the Triad that are similar? I've googled quite a bit but haven't found anything.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 06:40 PM

11 posts, read 21,343 times
In Winston-Salem itself I'd say your safest bet would be Downtown itself. Very new and up-and-coming. West-End is very artsy but not really counter-culture. The thing about the city of Winston is that it's not very neighborhood oriented, you're never going to be able to find a 'neighborhood' and just live there like in New York or Chicago or some place bigger like that. There is a significant community in the area of vegetarians, 'progressives', LGBTs etc. throughout the whole city.

If you want to go as far as Greensboro, the whole W. Friendly Avenue area around Guilford College has a very nice, open aura to it, mostly because of the Quaker influence in the area and the usual progressiveness of them.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:47 PM

Thank you for the info! Winston's downtown does have a cool vibe and we visit often. But between the dogs and kids, we can't do loft living. We'll definitely check out the Friendly Ave area in Greensboro. I have heard about an excellent (though out of our price range) Friends school there.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:53 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,157,676 times
I agree with 72 about Winston-Salem. You might consider one of the neighborhoods surrounding downtown, such as West End, Ardmore, and especially Washington Park with its proximity to UNCSA.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:20 AM

85 posts, read 185,104 times
Surely a liberal would have the conscience to not pollute or encourage the consumption of fuel.

Live near your work. This madness must end!

Old 12-04-2011, 08:28 AM

Well, we obsessively recycle, eat vegetarian, use eco-friendly cleaning and other kinds products, hardly buy any plastic crap, buy organic and local as much as possible, and engage in many other pro-Earth behaviors. But if finding my boys a safe and welcoming place to grow up means adding a bit more carbon to the environment, I will acknowledge that and increase my mitigation efforts.

The Man From Utopia, you seem awfully preoccupied with yelling at people on this forum for commuting. Maybe a better use of your time would be to examine other areas of your life where you could consume less and get to it.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:04 PM

479 posts, read 835,572 times
Ok, wstransplant...here's the "crunchy" guide to Greensboro.

Tate St. near UNC-G. Boba House Vegetarian Restaurant The best if not the only Vegitarian resturant in the Triad. Next door is the Tate Street Coffee House. They have live music sometimes and open mic. There are many elements to Tate St. that will give you that "crunchy" feel.

Jack's Corner is another vegan friendly resturant around the corner on Spring Garden. Tara Thai and Rearn Thai, Tandoor Indian Cuisine are also recommended.

Want a bicycle? Cycles de Oro or even better Welcome to Re:cycles Bike shop - Greensboro, NC

Also recommended Europa Bar & Cafe, especially the outdoor patio at night during the summer time.

Europa Bar & Cafe

For groceries? EarthFare is where you'll find "your people" in mass. It's off of Battleground Avenue. www.earthfare.com

Deep Root's is a co-op for foodie's Deep Roots Market - Greensboro's Only Natural Foods Cooperative

Going down Elm St in downtown, there are several interesting shops, etc. that have a liberal feel.

Quaker Village area as another poster stated is kind of liberal feeling. Guilford College is right across the street, so indeed that's a very liberal school.

Moose Cafe, at the Triad Farmer's Market is also nice in that they use all local ingrediants. They have just "veg" plates if that's a preference. But it's more "mainstream" in that everybody loves fresh food.

Indeed Carrboro, Asheville, and Greensboro are the most Liberal areas of NC I can think of.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:32 AM

479 posts, read 835,572 times
Vegan/Vegetarian Restaurants Greensboro, NC, Healthy, Organic, North Carolina -HappyCow

Found a link that list most of the places I mentioned, and a few others... Complete with better descriptions and addresses.

Looks like there are even some possibilities for W-S.

Vegan/Vegetarian Restaurants Winston-salem, NC, Healthy, Organic, North Carolina -HappyCow

There are many recycling drop off stations in Greensboro:

http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/index.aspx?page=3001

Winston Salem has some too.

http://www.cityofws.org/Home/Departm...cyclingCenters

Greensboro Parks & Recreation - Parks are located throughout and around the city.

http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/index.aspx?page=1042

Winston Salem/Forsyth Parks - Parks are located outside of the city and around the county.

http://www.co.forsyth.nc.us/parks/locations.aspx

Last edited by tegota; 12-05-2011 at 01:52 AM..

Old 12-06-2011, 03:42 PM

Thank you, Tegota for so much great information. I can't wait to dive in to all those thinks!

Old 12-09-2011, 02:29 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
The neighborhood in Winston right near School of the Arts is a great place and of course there is lots of Arts going on near there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point