Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:43 PM

108 posts, read 375,024 times

Advertisements

Is High Point a bad place to live? You know crime and stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 11:50 PM

799 posts, read 3,226,585 times
I can't speak for anyone else, but I really hate High Point. Sorry guys! I do. It's weird, disoriented, and feels kinda sad in a way. The older part of town is on its way to the grave. Emerywood is a gorgeous neighborhood filled with older, beautiful homes. Some very, expensive. The northern end of HP, near Skeet Club Rd is much newer and that's an area most people are moving to. It's at the southern tip of Wendover Ave., which is a successful main artery into, and through, Greensboro. It's also close to 311, which is a highway, well built, leading to Winston-Salem. HP has a couple furniture convention type thingies every year, but that part of town for the year os strangely deserted, day and night. It's....just .....odd.

Plus, everytime I drive through HP (and I go there from time to time for one reason or another) I always come out of there angry. I dont' know why. I think it may be the traffic patterns??? *shrug* But there are some that really do like it, my husband included.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:33 AM

109 posts, read 389,170 times
ibeg4sushi, I have to agree with you. High Point is my least favorite Triad town. I have lived in all 3 Triad cities and I would not consider moving back to High Point. High Point has no middle class. You can tell it was a town of the haves and have nots. I agree that it is a depressing place. As long as you stay on Main Street or 311 it seems like an ok place, but if you venture off of Main Street you can see how run down and poor this town is.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:37 AM

628 posts, read 2,069,827 times
In high point last week a friend of mine that does home counseling for low income families was held up at gunpoint in the house by robbers looking for drugs.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:20 PM

108 posts, read 375,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_Random View Post
In high point last week a friend of mine that does home counseling for low income families was held up at gunpoint in the house by robbers looking for drugs.
wow! these answers really help me eliminate high point for my house shopping lists! thanx guys!

Old 12-14-2008, 09:17 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,559,929 times
Wow! I'm rich and didn't know it! I've lived in and around High Point all but 5 years on this planet and there is plenty of middle class here. The northeast area ibeg4sushi descirbes is mostly middle-class. How do I know? I happen to live in that area. However, it is a town with two faces. If you are the family type that is totally engrossed with your kid's activities High Point is a viable option as it has many nice parks and the city seems to gear its activities toward kids/ families. High Point is what Mayberry would be if Mayberry had a population of 100k. This is also High Point's downside; if you are single, dinks (dual income no kids), or want grown up type of fun, forget it. While High Point has many places to eat the majority are chain owned. Nightlife is non-existent as well as adult type activities. The dowtown area is off limits to citizens, so unless are in the furniture market there is no downtown nightlife at all. What makes matters worse is Piedmont cities everywhere are engaging in some sort of downtown resurrection and High Point is just talking about it with a projected 30+ year investment. The most embarrassing part is the city/ people won't support the mall here, which is why we are looking to move to Greensboro.

Last edited by WFW&P; 12-14-2008 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: Add more comment

Old 12-15-2008, 01:25 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,689,746 times
the nicest thing about high point anymore is Oak Hollow mall (and surrounding businesses).

Old 12-15-2008, 08:45 AM

799 posts, read 3,226,585 times
Yeah, I was wondering about Oak Hollow Mall in High Point. I saw some discussions about it and that many shops were closing? Can anyone who has been there recently verify this?
My husband works for Barnes & Noble. There is a single B&N shop right next to Oak Hollow Mall, but if it were to close, business in that store would take a serious nosedive. The area there seemed like it was pretty nice once, and still could be, but the trend doesn't speak of it unfortunately. I would still consider some areas, like WFW&P was mentioning, that area up there towards Skeet Club. I tend to think the Triad doesn't have any nightlife at all, but only because I lived in Germany, Philadelphia, DC, and similar...my Dad was in the Navy! The bases tend to be near major hubs.

I guess for many here, High Point is the low point of the Triad. So what if HP were to just completely ghost town itself away? What would the Triad be then? The Bi-Towns? Duplex metro? LOL Seriously, though, High Point CAN be a great town again, if some major investments were there and a serious plan implemented. What the town needs is a total makeover on the furniture scene, and a new angle in addition to that....like TRAINS? Trolleys? Totally solar powered city? Something to really put it on the map, and then BAM in 12 years that place would be the hottest place in North Carolina, or perhaps the entire east coast. But that's just me, thinking too big for my britches again.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:46 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,689,746 times
good points,I tend to think high point might be better off if it were just absorbed by gso.what would they call it...no idea.maybe a hyphen between it,like raleigh-durham does?

Old 12-16-2008, 10:27 PM

247 posts, read 997,763 times
High Point to me has always been a rather depressing city.

As for the mall, I heard that they are planning to sell it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point