Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 02:38 PM

450 posts, read 2,320,919 times

Advertisements

I'd try Kernersville, Lewisville, or Clemmons. (Lewisville is right there with Clemmons and I think I'd just go on to Lewisville).

As far as not too rednecky with people liking to "shoot stuff", good luck..heh heh. As a native to NC.......you;ll find these everywhere - it's better to find people who like to "shoot stuff" in the rural areas than the cities!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 03:16 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanetti2102 View Post
I have nothing against hunting...just don't like hearing it from my own yard like I do now.
Heh. If you have a significant amount of acreage or woods around you, and the landowners allow, you'll most likely hear it

We've lived adjacent to forest leased to an organized hunting club for the last 10 years. We don't go walking back there during deer season, but otherwise the hunting activities have never been a bother..... well, except for the trash they leave around the area where they park. Jerks

Old 01-10-2009, 07:20 AM

4 posts, read 10,854 times
Smile Outskirts of Winston Salem Area

Pinnacle and Pilot Mountain are also an option. Depending on how close you are to Hwy 52 you can get to Winston in 20 - 25 minutes. The Pinnacle area is right outside of King and is not as developed, you would have to drive to King or Pilot to go to the Grocery Store etc... The outskirts of King near the Danbury area is a great location too, the Dan river is in located in Danbury and you have Hanging Rock and the Saura Town Mountain Chain.
Good luck with your move!

Last edited by mm34b; 01-10-2009 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: Edited to comply with Terms of Service.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:10 AM

145 posts, read 849,393 times
Quote:
Hi,
Just curious if anyone out there knows what Walnut Cove, Germantown, King, or Rural Hall is like? My wife and I are looking for a quiet town with basic amenities and less than 20 minutes from Winston-Salem. We are more interested in being close to hiking, lakes, and outdoorsy stuff than the city. Do any of the towns surrounding Winston have nice scenery/topography? For example, rolling hills, or nice views? Any suggstions? Nothing too "rednecky" where everyone has straight pipes and likes shootin' stuff but you know what I mean. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
My vote would be for Clemmons or Lewisville.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:47 AM

112 posts, read 290,210 times
look west of WS on 421. Lewisville, West Bend, Enon, East Bend, into Yadkin county.

or the Farmington area off I-40 and 801

Old 01-16-2009, 10:47 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Texan View Post
look west of WS on 421. Lewisville, West Bend, Enon, East Bend, into Yadkin county.

or the Farmington area off I-40 and 801
While I enjoy the topography and rural nature of the area, I'm kind of "eh" about the people who have governed Yadkin county. I hope that attitudes have changed, but in the past they've displayed a vindictive nature toward people who are critical of or don't do things their way. In 2003, Alice Singh, head of the area humane society, went to Raleigh and testified in an effort to improve that county's treatment of abandoned pets. Thereafter, county manager Cecil Wood barred her group from the use of a room in the county building for their monthly meetings.
[Ms Singh has gone on to a position of animal advocacy at the state level. Wood is now town manager of .... Lewisville ]

Aside from that, Yadkin County property tax rates are even higher that Forsyth's I'm not sure what you get for that kind of money. Certainly not much in the way of services
NCACC (http://www.ncacc.org/taxrates09.html - broken link)

Farmington is cool. I like taking a slow troll thru that area and looking at the old buildings. I forget what road it's on, but there is the remnant of an old plantation. Sitting next to the remains of a stately house is a single wide trailer. Makes me wonder about the story behind that. But it is more an "area" than "town" - which is what the OP asked about. I'm not even sure if the gas station near the x-roads of Farmington Rd and 801 is still open It is a neat area to check out in terms of viewing antique buildings left over from 19th century farm life. So much of that has been lost to development. And I think it's awesome that the people in that area have become pro-active about determining the direction their community takes
Farmington fending off developers (http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2008/apr/09/farmington-fending-off-developers/ - broken link)

Old 01-17-2009, 05:10 AM

381 posts, read 798,602 times
need to consider farmington or mocksville, 15 and 25 miles west of winston. next to clemmons. low taxes, good deals

Old 03-29-2009, 09:06 PM

10 posts, read 25,112 times
kernersville is nice too. you just have to get a realtor who knows where to look. it's 20 mins to winston and 15 mins to greensboro.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:38 PM

583 posts, read 2,802,392 times
Quote:
I have nothing against hunting...just don't like hearing it from my own yard like I do now.
Are you looking for a house on some land or to live in a neighborhood? The more land you and your neighbors have, the more likely you're going to hear rifles and shotguns during hunting season...just something to think about.

Walnut Cove/Rural Hall/Germanton are all nice areas and are within decent driving distance to WS. What else are you looking for in a town? What part of WS are you wanting to be close to? If you can let us know that we might be able to give you some better feedback/suggestions.

By the way, it's spelled "Germanton" (my parents have a farm there).

Old 12-07-2015, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,318 times
Does anyone know where "Athens" is located? I know it's a township and only 10 minutes away from downtown Winston Salem but can't find any actual record of it. I've been "invited" to move there and to a beautiful big new house with two acres but a lady has to be safe!
Thanks for any help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point