Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 02:27 PM

9 posts, read 24,298 times

Advertisements

We are moving to W-S in a month and I have been trying to decide on phone/internet/TV services. I use cable for all 3 where we live now in the NE but it is cheaper. If you sign up for all three, each one is only $29.95 and a second phone line for a fax is $14.95. Plus we get discounts on movies and other things and free movies on Tuesday.

What I am seeing online for Winston is $124.95 with second line costing either $30 or $40. That is sending me looking...but I have only found Windstream as another possible provider. Any information on Windstream or options I haven't found would be helpful. Our house is in Forsyth County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 03:00 PM

628 posts, read 2,069,931 times
I looked up Windstream Communications Residential and Business: Phone, DSL Broadband, Digital TV for Winston-Salem and it said that it does not provide service in that area.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:06 PM

9 posts, read 24,298 times
Default Windstream is in area code 27106

I have talked to them twice on the phone...they are my local phone provider...I believe the only one if I want phone landline access. They use Dish out of Old Town. The other option for everything is cable.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:00 AM

273 posts, read 950,090 times
I have Time Warner for tv and internet. If you don't have the special rates, you end up paying a fortune for service so watchout. I hate signing longterm contracts for stuff, but they will let you "lock in" your rates at a lower price if you sign a 2yr term. That's why I never went with satellite. But your choices for tv are Time Warner, Dish or DirectTV here. For Internet you have Time Warner, At&t or Windstream (depends on where you are), or a wireless service called Clearwire (not as fast only up to 1.5/2mbs download). For phone At&t or Windstream, but I use MagicJack. I hardly use my home line at all and before I had MagicJack I only used my cell. I've used it for about 1.5 years and it works great.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:16 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,689,922 times
what is magicjack? thx.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:18 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,689,922 times
I wish Embarq would get here! I keep getting ads in the mail n newppr,although they don't have service in my area yet.Sounds like a good deal though...tv,net and phone for $99/mo.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:44 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
what is magicjack? thx.
VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol)

magicJack

Old 02-04-2009, 10:56 AM

653 posts, read 2,705,259 times
The Windstream DSL in Tryon (southeast of Asheville and Hendersonville) is horrible. Perhaps they have faster speeds in your area, or I'm just a little farther out than the DSL should probably be running to, but it's slower than molasses on a winter morning.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:37 PM

273 posts, read 950,090 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122
what is magicjack? thx.
VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol)

magicJack

Exactly, they are doing the corny infomercial stuff, but it is a really good product, especially for the money. You just have to have your computer running for it to work.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,264 times
I see I am too late to warn you about Windstream. The price is just what you quoted, the service is absolutely horrible. I am in Winston Salem, and get on a good day, one meg per second download, and .3 meg upload. I have had three techs out here, and no improvement. THEY say,,,,,,Improvements are forthcoming, but not this year and maybe not next year. I had to cancel Netflix, because the internet is too slow to stream a movie. My spouse downloads books from the library, and went from 18 seconds per book on Road Runner, to 18 minutes, with many freeze ups on Windstream. Our Merge package was grossly over stated by the reps, and I wish I had never changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point