Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 07:08 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,474 times

Advertisements

Greensboro ranked #3 behind Las Vegas and Detroit.

America's Emptiest Cities - Yahoo! Real Estate

America's Emptiest Cities

Last edited by mm34b; 02-20-2009 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: Copyright issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 11:27 AM

254 posts, read 924,971 times
The Forbes articles present one way of viewing this, but are little more than an indicator of the need to address these issues. They are, by no means, an adequate "rankning" of cities, as they present only a small set of important data about vacancy. What's more troubling, however, is the way that the News & Record presented the data. I believe the article was titled something like "Greensboro 4th Emptiest City". At a bare minimum, the article should've been titled "Greensboro-High Point 4th Emptiest Large MSA". Not that anyone should be surprised by the N&R's sophomoric journalism.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:10 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,558,546 times
My Dad was was telling me about this today, but seeing how the economy is I take it with a grain of salt. If it remains the same after things turn around then I might get concerned.
A friend of mine who handles all the VA appraisals in Guilford county can back that data as he tells me the VA is running him ragged with all the VA foreclosures.
I don't blame N&R for not mentioning High Point, even the media based in High Point doesn't like to mention High Point. lol

Last edited by WFW&P; 02-18-2009 at 07:21 PM..

Old 02-19-2009, 10:07 AM

525 posts, read 2,122,828 times
I have seen two different stories on this on two different local news channels and both had Guilford County folks asking where Forbes got their information because it doesn't seem to match the numbers that GuilCo has. I know there are many foreclosures- are they including all the rental stuff that is going up that isn't finished for student housing? Are they including every rental vacancy in every apartment complex? Seriously, it doesn't make sense to me. If less folks are buying houses and more folks are losing their houses, then they are renting, no?

Old 02-27-2009, 07:14 PM

453 posts, read 2,100,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourhometriad View Post
If less folks are buying houses and more folks are losing their houses, then they are renting, no?
That's what I thought, but maybe people are leaving the city? I wonder if they have data showing other cities growing

Old 03-11-2009, 08:49 PM

33 posts, read 114,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Greensboro ranked #3 behind Las Vegas and Detroit.

America's Emptiest Cities - Yahoo! Real Estate

America's Emptiest Cities
lol i dont see how greensboro got a population of 258,000 how is that empty

Old 03-11-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
My Dad was was telling me about this today, but seeing how the economy is I take it with a grain of salt. If it remains the same after things turn around then I might get concerned.
A friend of mine who handles all the VA appraisals in Guilford county can back that data as he tells me the VA is running him ragged with all the VA foreclosures.
I don't blame N&R for not mentioning High Point, even the media based in High Point doesn't like to mention High Point. lol
yeah high point is over shadowed by greensboro

Old 03-11-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
That's what I thought, but maybe people are leaving the city? I wonder if they have data showing other cities growing
well hp and gboro are both getting bigger with hp over 100,000 and gboro over 250,000 little bigger than the 2000 cenus numbers

Old 03-12-2009, 10:36 AM

525 posts, read 2,122,828 times
According to the folks at Guilford County planning, they have no idea how Forbes came up with the statistics for their article. Plus, I am totally miffed at the word "abandoned" as if this area is a ghost town. Are they including commercial and rental vacancies? New apartments? There are no tumbleweeds blowing thru town.

Grrrrrr.

People from up north are moving here in greater numbers than ever- stable housing prices (yep we weren't on the bubble so we haven't dropped as much as the rest of the country), good schools, better weather, lower taxes, cheaper real estate, and did I mention Cheaper Real Estate?

Forbes... bleh.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:12 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,558,546 times
The article does explain how Forbes came up with this figure, but like many 'research' stories it leaves a lot of unanswered questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point