Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 10:35 AM

254 posts, read 922,757 times

Advertisements

Looking for feedback regarding length of morning commute, in minutes.
For people who start their workday at 8 and work in downtown W-S, please tell me how long it takes you to drive from the following areas to the workplace. Also tell me what route you take to work.

-Reynolda Road area, near Shattalon and Yadkinville Road.
-Robinhood Road area, near Meadowlark.
-Country Club area, near Peace Haven.
-Stratford area, near Kinnamon.
-Darwick Road area.
-Kingstree area, between 150 and Main St.
-Skeet Club area, off 311.
-Sedge Garden area in Kernersville.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 11:00 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,135,845 times
Cohaagen, commute times in Winston are measured in mere minutes. I live in Clemmons, and at most it takes me 15 minutes to get downtown. All the places you listed are closer in (except maybe Sedge Garden), so your'e talking less than 15 minutes.

I joke with people that we don't have a rush hour, we have rush 5 minutes.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:27 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,291,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohaagen View Post
Looking for feedback regarding length of morning commute, in minutes.
For people who start their workday at 8 and work in downtown W-S, please tell me how long it takes you to drive from the following areas to the workplace. Also tell me what route you take to work.

-Darwick Road area.

Thanks.
(Reynolda Rd to Northwest Blvd to 4th St) = 15/20 minutes
(Robinhood Rd to Reynolda Rd to Northwest Blvd to 4th St) = 15/20 Minutes
(Country Club Rd to 1st St to 4th St) = 12/15 minutes
Assume you mean Stratford Rd which turns into Hwy 158 in Clemmons. (If so, Hwy 158/Startford Rd to 1st St to 4th St) = 20/25 minutes
-Darwick Road area.
(Not familiar)
(Not familiar)
(Not familiar)
(Sedge Garden Rd to Linville Rd to Business I-40) 20/25 minutes

Old 02-24-2009, 12:10 PM

254 posts, read 922,757 times
Thanks. We're about to begin research comparing the MPO's traffic counts to actual travel times, leading up to the 2010 Census. Traffic counts alone are seldom reliable to accurately paint a picture of morning commute conditions. For example, look at the Linville Road exit at Business 40, which only gets a few thousand cars per day. The reality is that nearly all of those vehicles are counted there between 7-9 a.m. and 4:30-6 p.m, unlike a road like Reynolda, where there is a steady stream of traffic throughout the day, resulting in an easier (though not entirely free of stress) commute.

Personally, I've worked in Winston on and off for several years. My current morning commute from near Lake Thom-a-Lex takes 40 minutes to drive just 18 miles, thanks to awful conditions on 52 (that's compared to an off-peak commute that takes just 12 minutes).

It's certainly different living closer to town. I worked in downtown Greensboro for several years. From my first home, on the west end of Lindley Park, the morning commute took an average of 6 minutes. From my second home, near Fleming and Old Oak Ridge, it took about 10-12. From my last home, off of Skeet Club, near 311, it took about 18 minutes.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:46 PM

138 posts, read 417,669 times
Here's my commute time and route if it helps:
From High Point Kivett Drive near bus 85 to Winston-Salem Rte 158 (Tyco)
Kivett to 311 to 40W to 52N to B-40E to 158N about 30 minutes

Old 02-24-2009, 05:30 PM

273 posts, read 947,934 times
(Reynolda Rd to Northwest Blvd to 4th St) = 15/20 minutes
(Robinhood Rd to Reynolda Rd to Northwest Blvd to 4th St) = 15/20 Minutes
(Country Club Rd to 1st St to 4th St) = 12/15...I second 15 mins
Assume you mean Stratford Rd which turns into Hwy 158 in Clemmons. (If so, Hwy 158/Startford Rd to 1st St to 4th St) = 20/25 minutes
-Darwick Road area.
(Not familiar)
I live here and drove to downtown for 1.5 yrs... You have two/three options, easiest for me was take Main St all the way into downtown. 10 mins tops. It's only 5 miles so pretty easy. You can also take Peters Creek in (turns into Second St downtown), or US-52/Bus-40, but the traffic/lights on both these roads makes Main St a relaxing option.
Guessing here, but 20/30 mins...
(Sedge Garden Rd to Linville Rd to Business I-40) 20/25 minutes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point