Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 07:11 PM

39 posts, read 102,394 times

Advertisements

Hello. I stumbled across this forum by dumb luck and have been checking various city forums for all kinds of information for a possible relocation. I have found just about everything I've wanted to learn about the area from other threads, except for one thing.

Can anyone tell about the golf in and around Greensboro, Winston Salem, and High Point? What are some of the better public courses, semi-private courses, and private courses? As far as private, I am looking for a couple's membership.... however, my wife and I just graduated college last year and both played on the golf teams, so we could care less about going to social events (most wive's don't golf and just want the "chatty cathy" social deal, haha). We are looking for top notch course conditions, public or private. However, I don't want to pay more than a $2,000-$5,000 initiation fee and I'm not sure how that would effect my search for a private club.

Would you suggest going public over private? or vice versa?

Thanks a ton!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 07:39 PM

273 posts, read 949,952 times
Around WS, a very good public course is Tanglewood out in clemmons. Used to be a tour stop for the senior "champions" tour. Great layout, they have 36 holes and every time I've played there it has been in very good condition. I also played in college, wish I could get out more, that's about the only quality course I've played since moving here. Pinehurst, Southern Pines and the rest are a nice daytrip.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:25 AM

138 posts, read 418,828 times
There are some very good and inexpensive public courses in the Triad. I'm originally from the DC area where a $50-$60 round meant a garbage course. My favorites are Oak Hollow & Jamestown in High Point which are very inexpensive ($30-$35), but I'd say are the quality of a $75-$100 course in DC. Bryan Park in Greensboro has two courses, Tanglewood in Winston-Salem has two, and Stoney Creek in Greensboro are all a step up from Oak Hollow and Jamestown and run about $50-$70 a round but are usually in a bit better shape and are overall a little nicer course.

The private clubs I can't comment on directly since I've never played them, and I don't know the cost. Sedgefield is where the PGA plays in the fall. I'm told that is a great course. Also, I understand they have some sort of shared membership program that allows you to visit the other clubs in the area, but you'd have to call them for details on that.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:28 PM

Thanks a lot guys. I think I played practiced or played at Bryan Park when I visted a high school teammate who played at Greensboro College and I was taking a look at their school. The coach was Robert Linville at the time, and he had his own teaching school set up at the course..... can't remember if it was Bryan Park or not, but wherever it was seemed nice.

Who did you play for akwebb81?

Old 03-17-2009, 02:24 PM

I played 2 years at OSU, best time of my life!

Old 03-17-2009, 04:55 PM

THE Ohio State University? If so, that's awsome. I played against a kid in high school that is a senior there this year on the team.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:38 PM

Yes, THE Ohio State University. I played 1 year for the "real" team, and then the next year helped revive one of the branches team. I think the main reason I haven't played as much since leaving school was that I actually had to PAY to play Where did you play?

Old 04-28-2010, 05:56 PM

4 posts, read 18,639 times
Default Try out Grandover...

I've been in the area for about 4 years now and have played a handful of the public courses. In my opinion Grandover is one of the better public courses. Prices right now due to the economy are $55 on the weekend. When things were good prices were in the $70 range. You also have Meadowlands and Greensboro National. I have played Greensboro National and think it is an ok course, but I have heard the owner is having trouble paying the bills and it's going up for auction. My last two experiences there were not that great so I think I will stay away until I hear some better news. I played in high school on The Outer Banks at some top notch championship courses for free so paying $50-$60 for a mediocre course is tough. I do enjoy Oak Hollow. For a quick 9 holes after work, that Pete Dye course isn't too challenging, but is well kept for a muni.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:41 PM

3 posts, read 25,112 times
As already mentioned, both Tanglewood and Bryan Park are great public facilities. The Championship course at Tanglewood also hosted the 1974 PGA Championship in addition to being a Champions Tour stop for a few years.

The purely private courses in the Triad are probably not going to be within your desired initiation fee. Forsyth CC and Old Town Club in Winston are the two in-town private clubs and each of their initiation fees are $20,000+. Pine Brook is the third option and even though they designate themselves as private I would classify it as more semi-private. I know they have been struggling the past few years and are trying to get more members. In fact I think they are waiving the initiation fee right now so the only payments you'd have to make would be monthly dues.

There is also Bermuda Run, which is basically beside Tanglewood, and has two courses. It's interesting because it's an incorporated town and is fully gated. The second course, (Bermuda Run West) is located across highway 801 and has a separate clubhouse. I think they are under new management but I do not know the initiation fee.

In Greensboro there is Sedgefield, Starmount Forest, Greensboro CC (2 courses but at different locations), Forest Oaks, and Cardinal Golf and CC. I know Sedgefield is pretty pricey but I am unsure about the others. My guess is that they are all above $10,000.

Another option is Willow Creek. It's technically in High Point but is actually more out in a rural part between Winston and High Point. I think it's classified as High Point Country Club because the same group who owns it also owns a small executive course in the middle of High Point so membership gets you use of both facilities. I'm not sure about the initiation fee.

However there are some great courses that are semi-private. Both Oak Valley (in Advance, west of Winston and next door to Bermuda Run West) and Salem Glen (in Clemmons) are easily in your range. I've played both those courses numerous times and like both of them. However they are both part of larger housing developments so that might be an issue if you don't like courses with houses lining (most) of the holes.

Meadowlands to the SE of Winston is also another course that is in a housing development but, for the most part, the houses aren't "on top" of the golf course. I didn't like it at first but now I love it. Initiation fee similar to Oak Valley and Salem Glen.

Also, I believe the same group owns Oak Valley, Salem Glen, Bryan Park, and Stoney Creek in Burlington so you would most likely get reciprocal privileges at those others course if you joined one of those clubs.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:27 AM

628 posts, read 2,069,623 times
I don't golf, but I have heard good things about the Gillespie course in Greensboro (http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/departments/Parks/Facilities/gillespie/ - broken link). Plus, Twilight Walking Special
Monday - Sunday...Walk and play after 3 pm daily for only $8 per golfer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point