Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 4,484 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to NC this summer. My job is in Lexington, but to my understanding it is not prime location for a 20-something young woman looking to have a social life outside of work. I am torn between Winston-Salem and Concord for a few reasons.

WS: Closer to work and I know someone else who will be living there
Concord: Proximity to Charlotte and to work

Any suggestions or thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 05:38 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,134,732 times
If I were a 20-something young woman, I might consider that Winston-Salem has both a med school and a law school, making it a good place to work on your MRS degree.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:31 AM

7 posts, read 14,008 times
Default W-S vs. Concord

Go to WS, it's not even close. WS has a lot more amenities than most cities its size, great restaurants (other than fast food and fried seafood and barbecue), and fairly stable economy due to RJR, WS State, and Wake Forest.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:35 AM

254 posts, read 922,672 times
I don't think her choice is really between Winston and Concord itself. She's really choosing between either living in a nearby small city and a slightly more distant and smaller town with more convenience to a large metro area.

We'd need to know more about what she's looking for. Future plans, types of entertainment she prefers, etc.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:07 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,494,389 times
For what it's worth, the stretch of I-85 between Concord and Lexington can be awful at times. Your commute from W-S would be a lot easier, depending where you might live in W-S.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:09 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,494,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
If I were a 20-something young woman, I might consider that Winston-Salem has both a med school and a law school, making it a good place to work on your MRS degree.
How OLD are you??? That's such an out-dated way of thinking.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:13 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,428,530 times
MRS degree. Is it 2009 or 1959?.....

stepho852004 - I would chose W-S. It has a lot going on. While Concord has a lot of amenities as well, it's a longer commute from Lexington. It's pretty self sustaining in terms of restaurants, shopping etc. so you wouldn't really need to go to Charlotte. W-S is only about 1.5 hours from Charlotte so you could still take an easy day or weekend trip if you're itching to come down.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:38 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,428,182 times
Winston Salem - hands down.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:22 PM

254 posts, read 922,672 times
Well, because some others seem to think you're asking them to identify which city they prefer without providing reasons, I'll try to elaborate -
If this applies you, then you might prefer Concord:
-Don't mind traffic, longer commutes.
-Quick drive to big city (more choices for entertainment, shopping, etc.) at night/week ends more important than quick drive to work every day.

Chances are, you'll prefer Winston.
-Entertainment, shopping, amenities, etc. aren't quite as cosmopolitan, diverse and ubiquitous, but for the most part, the Charlotte area is just more of what Winston and Greensboro already have in smaller quantity.
-The commutes from Concord to Lexington and from Concord to Charlotte are enjoyed by few. A small number of people commute from Winston to Lexington so, depending on where you would live/work, traffic will be tolerable for most and your morning commute should be 20 min or less.
Concord to Lexington is a hassle, and will be much worse when the state begins construction on the new Yadkin River bridge.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:51 PM

109 posts, read 388,329 times
I agree Winston-Salem is your best option. I just recently moved to downtown and love it. Check out the Nissen Apartments downtown. Lexington is about a 20 to 25 minute commute and from downtown you have easy access to 52.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point