Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2009, 10:54 PM

24 posts, read 49,866 times

Advertisements

My Hubby and I are looking to retire in the next couple of years. We have lived most all our lives in San Diego. Currently live in Temecula (60 miles north of SD). Would like to expeience something different- a real change of pace. Employment and schools will not be an issue for us which makes our needs somewhat different from some others. So, here is my list:
1) Most important- Climate. Lower humidity is an absolute must. A small amount of snow is ok since we won't have to drive to work but don't want to have to shovel out. A limited number of days of 90 degrees would be ok.
2) Lower cost of living. Home or condo under 2K. Low taxes, and utilities would be a plus.
3) Things to do- bookstores, used and new, and libraries, historical sites and museums where I could volunteer. My H and I like live theatre and performances and would like to do volunteer ushering. My H would like a place to play poker.
4) A lively downtown- am considering loft living where we could walk out the front door of the building and walk to restaurants and attractions.
5) A "preatty" place that makes me smile when I look out the window or walk outside. The town or city could be any size between 20,000 and 200,000.
6) Good medical care afterall as my doctor always seems to be saying "well, you are getting to be that age"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 09:55 AM

628 posts, read 2,069,931 times
1) During the summer the humidity is pretty bad in Greensboro.
2) Yes, under 200K is not a problem.
3) Greensboro has all that.
4) Downtown is nothing to get excited about. You would quickly get bored.
5) Greensboro has some very pretty areas.
6) Wake Forest baptist hospital in Winson-Salem is a better hospital than Mosed Cone or Westley Long Hospitals in Greensboro. But it's a short drive.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:16 AM

39 posts, read 107,748 times
Mount Airy N.C. great small town loads of restaurants great view of the Blue Ridge only about 5 miles from the parkway. weather is great all 4 seasons not too much snow, just enough to say it snowed then it's gone. cheap housing, low utilities. About 30 miles from Winston_Salem great shopping and very good health facilities.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:20 PM

4 posts, read 10,294 times
HI! My husband and I are looking to come up tomorrow from FL to see the area as we are thinking of retiring somewhere in NC. ANy sugggetions on the best places to look in the area. We have relatives in Mt. Airy however, we would like to be a bit closer to more restaurants and shopping and events and possible part time employment.
Any advice would be appreciated!

Old 03-23-2009, 04:02 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helene11 View Post
HI! My husband and I are looking to come up tomorrow from FL to see the area as we are thinking of retiring somewhere in NC. ANy sugggetions on the best places to look in the area. We have relatives in Mt. Airy however, we would like to be a bit closer to more restaurants and shopping and events and possible part time employment.
Any advice would be appreciated!
You should check out Clemmons and Winston Salem

Old 03-25-2009, 08:26 AM

525 posts, read 2,123,113 times
Greensboro has everything you need- tons of restaurants and shopping, cheap housing prices, within 1.5 hours of Charlotte and Raleigh. Greensboro also has restaurants and shopping downtown, mostly locally owned.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:29 AM

525 posts, read 2,123,113 times
oh and gomarciago, look for the Carolina Theater, the Greensboro Historical Museum, Triad Stage, and the Broach Theater in downtown Greensboro. Plus galleries, antique shops, restaurants, etc. There are bars and nightclubs downtown as well, but you'll probably not be interested in hanging with that crowd- lord knows, I'm too old for it myself.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:16 PM

109 posts, read 389,184 times
Winston-Salem has everything Greensboro has plus tons of character and history and is closer to Mt. Airy than Greensboro.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:50 AM

273 posts, read 950,090 times
I'm just shocked someone wants to move from San Diego 8) I have an aunt who lives in Carlsbad and if I could afford the lifestyle, put up with the politics and taxes, I would be there in a minute. If you're used to the 75 and sunny year round, you will be surprised. Summer here can be a bit of a bear and can/will get to 100. Humidity is bad, but not like say Orlando, Houston, New Orleans (insert favorite city built on a swamp). One place to consider might be Asheville. Much smaller community, but cooler and is more scenic without the drive (in the mountains). Winston Salem and Greensboro are very similar, Greensboro being larger. I think WS has more character, but Greensboro is a little ahead of WS and has a bit livelier downtown (diverse in things to do).

Old 03-27-2009, 08:46 AM

254 posts, read 925,175 times
No offense, but what "character and history" does Winston have that Greensboro, or even Raleigh, Charlotte, and Asheville don't have?
(and Winston's only 15 minutes closer to Mt. Airy than G'boro)

My opinion (not recommending based on the OP's wants) is that if you like "mountains" (if we can really call them that), then there are plenty of towns in western NC that are fantastic, if you like the beach, we have some of the best beach communities in which to live (not just vacation), and if you want something in-between, we've got just about everything else. And relative to the west coast, we have it at a deep discount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point