Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 07:56 AM

58 posts, read 191,472 times

Advertisements

I am not trying to hurt any feelings with this post, however since moving here from up North, I've noticed that one in every 3-4 people is obsese here in the Triad area. (I am 5'10 and 155 lbs.) On my job we all love to eat but I very rarely hear the word "diet" or "I'm watching what I eat" coming from the mouths of those who are morbidly obese. I must admit the food taste alot better here in the south and I have also never seen so many unhealthy places to eat in one small area. I am concerned for my daughters and my husband who want to eat out all the time ( I am a good cook- they told me so). Why is this an accepted way to live, two females on my job have had heart attacks, (ages 35 & 50) in the one year that I've been working there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 08:17 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,734,458 times
It is only an issue if you eat more than you work off.

I think an issue in the South is that for hundreds of years, folks worked really hard farming and stuff. They could eat a lot and burn it all off in a days work. As we got away from the manual work on the farm, eating habits were passed down.

We love bbq and such and that ain't healthy.

I am way overweight, but I take responsibility for getting that way. Working hard to get it off.

I would think if you have the background of eating right, then you are ok. If you succumb to the temptation to go out frequently, "and tie on the feedbag" that is not a problem with NC, that is a problem with YOU.

Good luck.

lln

Old 03-07-2009, 08:41 AM

I think what I'm getting at is that the folks I'm around who are obese don't seem to be self-conscious about it...........and that terrifies me. I work the night shift and most eat all night long without hesistation. If Krispy Keme doughnuts are brought in to work ....they are gone instantly, if a veggie platter is brought in ....it is almost untouched.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:31 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,659,477 times
We do seem to be up there:

Fattest States 2008: The CalorieLab United States of Obesity Rankings (Obesity by State)

Old 03-07-2009, 05:02 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,981 times
I must say that when I lived in South Florida, I saw many more overweight and obese people there than I do here in NC. And the worst part of that was there were so many children overweight there. I worked at a school's after care program and to get most of these kids outside to play was a problem. They just wanted to stay inside and play. I also saw many health issues developing with many of the kids and that is what scares me. Also there is the social issue. Kids can be very nasty with the overweight kids.

I just wish all of us, including myself, would exercise better judgment when it comes to food and exercise.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:10 PM

I agree Catrick!

Old 03-07-2009, 08:40 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,006,052 times
Added link from Superk's link for those who don't like to read.

http://calorielab.com/news/wp-images...s-2008-big.gif

Old 03-07-2009, 11:21 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,691,053 times
only if you eat at TACO BELL

(hehe...just a joke here )

Old 03-08-2009, 08:55 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,691,053 times
seriously,while you can't change anyone else,all you *can do is to try and serve to be a good example to them.refuse the doughnuts,bring or eat healthy snacks and lunch/dinner..go out for walks during breaks...etc.it speaks volumes more than anything you could ever say.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:42 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,567,603 times
This is not just a southern issue, its a national issue. I agree with SC122's comment. Stay on course and don't worry about other people and if you do go out to eat reasearch the restaurant's website so you can make as wise as choice as possible.

As for the issue at hand there are many mitigating factors for obesity in this region, though not restricted to it:
Advertising; we are constantly bombarded with commercials, coupons, and specials to entice one to eat out.

Work envrionment; the place my wife works has rampant obesity due the sedentary nature of the job as well as the swarm of restuarants that deliver. Most employers don't condone or encourage healthy habits.

Retail enviroment; due to urban sprawl we drive everywhere.

Medical; Due to medical advances over the last two decades people unknowingly or knowingly have the false sense of security that doctors can cure it all. OTC medicine ads actually tell you its ok to abuse your body. Have you ever seen a heartburn ad featuring someone who got it from eating a nice healthy meal?

Social: Many feel its a part of aging. The most common and idiotic phrase uttered is "you're going to die anyway, may as well enjoy it." Anyone out there enjoy having a heart attack, diabetes, open heart surgery? Being 'big' is almost revered as a sign of strength where as being short and/or thin is regarded as a weakness (mostly with men).

Financial & convenience misconceptions; People believe that it is cheaper & more convenient to eat out. Not always the case.

Just my .02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point