Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 03:57 PM

36 posts, read 74,208 times

Advertisements

As we are relocating to the area and will most likely be settling in Clemmons / Lewisville we are really hoping that we find the following -
- Quality schools with quality teachers and a passion for education
- Safe schools
- Well rounded schools with good student/teacher/parent involvement and a well rounded extra curricular format from sports to theater to Drama to debate team, to Math club. Is PTA/PTO strong in the south and at the schools in these towns?

Is this what we will find? Please say yes. Recent posts have made us a bit weary.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 06:50 AM

5 posts, read 7,840 times
Good Luck! I am hoping to hear the same thing about the schools my children will be going to. I just found out that there are 376 high schools in NC and the one my child will be attending is 317 on the list and a 1 star rating. I am highly disappointed. I am not even sure what to do.You can go to website www.schooldigger.com t see the schools you are looking for.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:59 AM

Default ????

what school is that in what town?

Old 04-02-2009, 07:40 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,557,706 times
Can't be West Forsyth High in Clemmons....not sure how accurate it is...but I heard that West Forsyth was like the #18 best high school in NC....Davie County was in the high 200's or low 300's out of 300 something.

I wouldn't send my cat to Davie High.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:34 AM

Well W Forsyth ranks 50 out of 370 which is not bad and the ES's are in the 100 rankings out of 1,000 + schools. So that is good. But the MS doesn't rank to swell.....hmmmm?

Old 04-02-2009, 12:21 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,456,364 times
Quote:
But the MS doesn't rank to swell.....hmmmm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Paper and others, just wanted to add an update to this thread. A new middle school, Flat Rock Middle, is set to open this fall. This school will take many of the Parkland High-bound students from Clemmons Middle, leaving CM with mostly Clemmons students bound for West Forsyth High. I would think this will result in higher test scores for Clemmons Middle in the future, for those of you who are hung up about such things.

I want to be careful about this issue, though. There are plenty of great kids in the Parkland district, but it's a fact that the socio-economic mix is much different than West Forsyth. In a perfect world,I wish we had better ways to tackle the inequities in test scores such that kids in all schools performed better. While I know the powers that be are trying to improve things everywhere, unfortunately the "lesser" schools often don't get the resources they need to overcome some of the challenges they face. At any rate, I don't mean to disparage Parkland at all with my comments, but simply to inform. I just wish we didn't have to worry about finding "good" school districts in our society--ideally all schools would be great, no matter where they are located. Pipe dream, I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4
1st of all...Clemmons Middle School is NOT even in Clemmons. It is in Winston-Salem off of Fraternity Church Rd...which draws in some kids from Southside W-S...I am sure that is where the hispanics are coming from....Schools in Clemmons "proper" are Excellent. Clemmons is the nicest suburb in Forsyth County. Watch out for Davie County Schools...the High School is horrible and over crowded. They put more emphasis on sports than education. My brother & family live in Bermuda Run West (Advance - Davie County)...but choose to send their kids to West Forsyth High School in Clemmons...due to being 10 times better.

Good Luck!
From another thread - Clemmons Middle

Old 04-10-2009, 12:20 AM

4 posts, read 8,117 times
West Forsyth is fine. Reagan is good. Reynolds is good, but closer into town. I went to Reynolds, and we had an excellent principal that left to go to Reagan when it opened a few years ago. He took a lot of our best teachers, so I can vouch that the staff at Reagan at least is probably top notch. I would imagine that parents and students take a lot of pride in that new fancy school too.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:47 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,035,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
I wouldn't send my cat to Davie High.
Well, if the PTB would just get that damned issue of building a new high school settled ...

It's clear that the issue of building a second high school on the eastern side of the county isn't going to fly. Currently, architects are being consulted on building one large centralized high school.

There are a lot of fine young minds in this county. They are being caused a disadvantage because of the squabbling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point