Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 06:22 PM

3 posts, read 7,868 times

Advertisements

My husband was just offered a position at the Baptist Medical Center (with some of his time spent at WakeForest U) We would be moving there in september, with a newborn.
We're coming from a large city and love our current environment (downtown, busy, lively, we can walk everywhere...) We would like to keep our commute to a minimum, and would like to be near grocery stores and such. Schools are not so much of an issue as the position is for 2 years only.
Is downtown a safe place to live? What other neighborhoods would you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 06:58 PM

109 posts, read 389,184 times
I have been living downtown for about 3 months, and I have not had any problems. I would say it is probably one of the safest places in Winston. Downtown has a long way to go, but it has come a long way too. I am not sure if downtown would be the place for you with a newborn, but maybe the West End Historic Neighborhood which is within walking distance to downtown. Also Ardmore Historic Neighborhood and if you want to spend upwards of half a million or more Buena Vista is always a good choice. There are some new condos downtown that are nice, large rooms, convered pourches but they too are around a half mill. Winston-Salem is a very unique city. Please check out Old Salem on your next visit. Also the Brookstown neighborhoodand West Salem Historic Neighborhood is close to downtown and there are an abundance of new townhomes there called Salem Place. It is a very nice area and adjacent to Old Salem. Downtown is more busy and lively on weekends as opposed to weekdays. NC is a slower paced life style compared to a large city.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:10 AM

881 posts, read 2,253,443 times
I agree a lot of Elm&McGee wrote however I assuming since it's only a two year deal you won't be buying just renting?

While Winston isn't a large city I think our downtown is close as you are going to get in to what you are looking for. Luckily traffic isn't bad at all and Baptist is basically on the fringe of downtown. The area has been built up in the last few years with new housing options. You'll probably have better luck checking on CL or in the Winston Salem journal to find a place to live rather than something like a typical "apartment guide".

There are several restaurants you can walk to and the School of the Arts has several events. IIRC find a grocery store within walking distance may be more of an issue but there a a few that are just a short drive a way.

Downtown Winston-Salem Partnership

now I'll sit back and wait for the obligatory "you should live in Clemmons" post

Old 04-21-2009, 06:24 AM

Clemmons is another boring suburb something we have enough off in NC.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:44 AM

3 posts, read 7,868 times
Indeed, we are looking at renting rather than buying since we'll only be there for a short time.Forgive my ignorance, what is CL?

Old 04-21-2009, 07:03 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,157,676 times
Clemmons is boring? Guess it depends on what you like to do. All of the downtown WS activities are only 10 minutes away, so it's not like we're out in the boondocks. Tanglewood Park is a top-notch facility, with bike trails, swimming, golf, horseback riding, fishing, concerts, and more. Plus we have these things called yards, which some of you may not remember, but they provide lots of space for kids, dogs, gardens, parties, etc.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:07 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,042 times
CL = Craigslist

We used to live at Tanner's Run... one of the original "new" townhome developments built 20+ years ago near downtown and Old Salem. We loved it. It was walking distance to plenty of restaurants (RIP South by Southwest) AND Ollie's Bakery.

I would imagine that WFUBMC has a housing bureau that could be helpful to you?

A lot of the transient medical community lives in Ardmore because of its proximity to the medical center. There are also some terrific downtown condos/apts for rent. The only downside to downtown is lack of drug store and supermarket within walking distance, though a small grocery store did open last year in downtown. And you've got the seasonal downtown farmer's market and Ronnie's Country Store on Cherry Street.

Good luck with your move. We moved out of state last year due to hubby's transfer. I really miss W-S.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:09 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Plus we have these things called yards, which some of you may not remember, but they provide lots of space for kids, dogs, gardens, parties, etc.
But that's not what the OP was asking about.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:23 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,157,676 times
^True, and I didn't mean to hijack the thread. Just wanted to point out that the 'burbs are viable options for many. I don't consider it "boring" at all, but maybe that's just me.

And I have to echo the shout-out to Ronnie's Country Store...that is a really cool place, and their country ham can't be beat.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
CL = Craigslist

We used to live at Tanner's Run... one of the original "new" townhome developments built 20+ years ago near downtown and Old Salem. We loved it. It was walking distance to plenty of restaurants (RIP South by Southwest) AND Ollie's Bakery.

I would imagine that WFUBMC has a housing bureau that could be helpful to you?

A lot of the transient medical community lives in Ardmore because of its proximity to the medical center. There are also some terrific downtown condos/apts for rent. The only downside to downtown is lack of drug store and supermarket within walking distance, though a small grocery store did open last year in downtown. And you've got the seasonal downtown farmer's market and Ronnie's Country Store on Cherry Street.

Good luck with your move. We moved out of state last year due to hubby's transfer. I really miss W-S.
What do you mean lack of a drug store. There is a CVS on the corner of 4th and Trade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point