Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 06:48 AM

305 posts, read 1,807,767 times

Advertisements

In two weeks from yesterday, we'll be moved into our new home in Statesville.

I'm scared and excited all at the same time.

We've never lived in NC before. But with our grandkids living outside Raleigh, and another on the way in May, it was time we moved closer.

I just hope I can find some reputable (and good) folks to tend to the grass mowing and help me with the housecleaning (we're both disabled).

And I really, really hope that we are not shunned just because we're not native North Carolinians.

Oh, and I've studied how to tell whether or not a snake is poisonous. It's all in the shape of the head.

We're good people. Love to go fishing and putter around a garden.

Gosh, I have so much to do (even though I've been packing for months!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 08:11 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,154,826 times
Welcome to NC, teebo! I'm confident you'll love it here. I live right down the road from you in Clemmons (just outside Winston-Salem), and I think it's a great area. Easy access to the mountains, the beach isn't too far away, and several large lakes are nearby. Since you love fishing, you'll have the opportunity to do lots of it, from fly fishing the mountain streams, bass fishing in the lakes and ponds, and deep sea fishing at the coast.

I'm sure you'll find the people here to be extremely friendly. You will not be shunned because of where you're from. I think the only reason one would be shunned is if you act like a jerk, or whine constantly about things (and you don't seem like that type).

Sorry I can't help with the grass mowing, but I'm sure you can find a teenage kid who needs the money. Best of luck to you, and if you have questions about anything at all, feel free to ask!

Old 04-29-2009, 03:27 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,854,040 times
I agree with arbyunc, you don't seem the type to expound at length on how things were done back where-ever. If you are open and friendly you will be accepted in the same manner, I think it is part and parcel of ....and I am not really the religious type, but, in this case the saying is appropriate.." uh,.... " as ye sow, so shall ye reap " and you are quite right, it is the shape of the head that determines "poisonous" v "non" And.... you will be in Statesville which is above 650 ft. elevation, so..... no water mocassins, a lot of people around here assume any snake in the water is a mocassin and more banded water snakes, eastern watersnakes, and common watersnakes get killed because people assume they are mocassins. Don't know where you're from so can't tell which garden veggies will work better here than there. But..... Tomato sandwichs are considered a necessary life staple for three months out of the year, it is not quite as important as basketball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point