Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 07:51 AM

563 posts, read 1,030,169 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Durham, and I'm originally from Miami, FL, as you can guess from my screen name. I've lived here for seven years, having come here to Durham to work on a Duke University Continuing Education certificate in teaching ESL to adults. I have been teaching ESL since I've been here, both in the community college setting and privately also. In 2006, I took the PRAXIS II in ESL and passed it successfully. DPI told me I was eligible for a lateral entry teaching position in the K-12 system. Thus, I contacted schools around this area - Wake, Chapel Hill, and some in Durham also. I got doors slammed in my face saying they do not accept lateral entry teachers. So, why then did DPI tell me I was eligible, when in reality it is not true?

My B.A. is in Communications, and with the tremendous experience I have in ESL, is it an impossibility to secure a teaching position, and then begin the necessary coursework to get certified? I realize my Duke certificate doesn't apply to teaching kids, but still, I have heard of stories where people have landed positions teaching in a K-12 system, and been given time to work on their certificates in the K-12 system. I'm not a native North Carolinian, so perhaps this is problem number one...?

I'm posting on this site because I have heard that Alamance and perhaps other counties in the Greensboro area might allow me a chance. I will be happy to start my coursework in the fall if someone would hire me in ESL, but I do not have the financial luxury to take time out of my life to go back and pay for all my courses beforehand and then apply for a position. I'm looking for a position for the fall of this year, or before.

Any light someone can shed for me on this matter would be most appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,011 times
Hi,

I am not a teacher in either of these counties but I am kind of in the same position and I can tell you that Greensboro and Alamance counties DO allow lateral entry teaching. Greensboro DEFINITELY. You should go to the Greensboro County Schools website and look up more information about it. (Guaranteed Supply Company - for the best in building materials!) I am going thru the process right now of trying to start lateral entry teaching. I have to take the Praxis and I am doing so in June. Alamance County has some jobs available right now that you can apply for through the NC Public Schools website (https://schooljobs.dpi.state.nc.us/hrms/HRMSHome.Nsf/VacantPosition?openform (broken link)). However, Greensboro has a hold on hiring right now while they do fix their budget, so they don't have many jobs posted right now. I don't know why you got the door slammed in your face in Durham because my friend who is helping me thru all the whole process (because she's been thru it too) currently works in Durham. She used to work in Greensboro. But she got her start thru lateral entry...So I don't know why they told you that in Durham. Or maybe she works there now because she has been teaching for a while. But I know she doesn't have her license yet.

I hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point