Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2007, 08:52 PM

5 posts, read 11,281 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone...I've been reading and lurking on this forum for a month or so- and can't believe how helpful it has been! We've just received confirmation that we are indeed moving to NC- and we're thrilled!! I lived there when I was very little, and can't wait to come back as an adult with my own family(hubby, 7 and 10yr olds).
My question is about schools in Winston and/or Greensboro. We are coming out in a few weeks to scout out areas where we want to live- but would love to know where to start. School is #1 priority...because there seem to be fantastic people everywhere But, we are going to buy a house, so I want to try to pick the right school right away (no pressure or anything!). The middle school in gbo that looks good on paper is Kernodle---?? But, I know paper can be deceiving...Winston is still a mystery to me.

Any suggestions- schools, neighborhoods, zip codes to start searches in?

We're arty-types, so we'd like to stay away from the too 'plastic-fantastic'

THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 08:57 PM

Default Ps

As for schools (public), NC has a big problem here in most counties. Well-off parents tend to send their children to private schools. This is not meant to condemn all NC schools--my wife works in the school system. The problem is each community has good to excellent schools, all the way down to schools that are more like correctional facilities. It just depends upon where you live and the school district you're in.
This is why I'm worried??!!

Last edited by mightbemovin; 04-13-2007 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: i forgot

Old 04-14-2007, 01:19 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,271,122 times
The best schools in Greensboro are in the northwest. Zip codes 27455, 27410, 27408. This isn't to say that all other Greensboro schools are terrible, but schools in those zip codes do have the best reputations, as well as good scores for education and safety.

The Guilford County Schools website has grades and results for each school. You should check it out.

I wish you all the best.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:32 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks niki- this seems consistent from what I've heard...

But, I've heard nothing about Winston?? Anyone??

Old 04-14-2007, 11:16 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightbemovin View Post
As for schools (public), NC has a big problem here in most counties. Well-off parents tend to send their children to private schools. This is not meant to condemn all NC schools--my wife works in the school system. The problem is each community has good to excellent schools, all the way down to schools that are more like correctional facilities. It just depends upon where you live and the school district you're in.
This is why I'm worried??!!
I don't know about this area specifically...but really...who ever posted that was full of...well...hey weren't telling the full story.

Your best bet....do some online research and narrow down it down to a few areas where you like the housing options....the GO VISIT the schools in those areas.

Only you are going to know what will be best for your family....and no, in many areas well-off parents do not send their children to private school even if they could afford it, unless they it is for religous reasons. There are some GREAT schools down here....just do your research and ignore the fear mongers.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,450 times
Default Forsyth Co. Winston Area

Hello,
Just checking in for Forsyth Co. Schools. I moved my family out of Northern Va. almost 10 years ago. My daughter started First grade in Meadowlard the year it opened and I became involved assisting at the school with computer systems. There are a lot of good teachers, school programs and opportunities for both students and parents. If you would like detailed information for schools in the area there are good websites. For Meadowlark Elem and Middle, Regan HS, Lewisville, NC (10 min from Winston) ... even our neighborhood here in Lewisville; Saddlebrook http://saddlebrook.us/ . Private schools are also an option. Forsyth Country Day, located in Lewisville is outstanding and also has a website.
Regards, Bryan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point