Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 01:33 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
^ Google says 40 minutes if you take the US 158/US 601 route, but I think you could do it in less time. From the south side of Clemmons, you could also take the back roads (Hampton Rd. to NC 150 to I-85). Takes roughly the same amount of time.
From Clemmons? 158 to 801 (Hillsdale/Bermuda Run). 801 across 64 and down to Cherry Hill. Cherry Hill to 601 and on down to Salisbury. (If you miss Cherry Hill you continue down to the intersection of 801/601 - called by its fond name: Greasy Corners.) It's the route for several people I know who live as far out as Lewisville and work in Salisbury.

Quote:
Arbyunc -For good barbecue, you'll have to drive at least two hours towards the eastern part of the state.
Uh oh. Them's fightin' words. I never developed a taste for NC BBQ, but you don't have to go that far to find the stuff people rave about. 'Little Richard's' in Clemmons has a big fan base, as well as the BBQ place on 64 (name escapes me) in Lexington. That eatery has been featured on the Travel Channel "World's Best BBQ" - or something like that. Then there are the little BBQ shacks that spring up in some of the back areas. There was one on 64 - a totally run down shack that you'd think would violate all the health codes - that had a full parking lot whenever people saw smoke coming from the chimney. Even truckers passed the word; you'd find them pulled off the side of the road whenever they saw the pit smoking.

Last edited by silverwing; 03-26-2010 at 01:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 05:34 AM

72 posts, read 184,829 times
Wow thank you to all of you have replied. I love insight from people who live there or have lived there. Glad to hear about the plans for the high school. I always thought I might have time before I need it (my kids are elementary aged) and now hopefully that rings true.

rsa - When we come up for our visit we would be staying in Huntersville with family. That town is way to busy for us. Plus I don't think we could afford 10+ acres in Mecklenburg county. Also I am pretty sure I looked on line in the city of Davidson and loved what I saw, but again the land was a bit too pricey.

If anyone can think of any other counties within the 30 to 45 minute driving range to Salisbury, has great schools, cheap land (less than 10,000 per acre), and cheap taxes shout em' out!

Old 03-26-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasparker View Post
If anyone can think of any other counties within the 30 to 45 minute driving range to Salisbury, has great schools, cheap land (less than 10,000 per acre), and cheap taxes shout em' out!
Taxes in Davie are, IIRC, about $60/$1000 - meaning that property with a valuation of 100k would be $600/year.

It's not so much the price per acre, but the availability of land in large lots. We have our 8 acres, purchased in '97. I doubt that we'd find it as easily today as we did back then. Davie County caught the eye of developers and has more or less been ruined for people looking for a large spread. All I can suggest is to check realtor dot com. I was very surprised to find this
Calahan Road, Mocksville, NC, 27028 - MLS #570884 - Land real estate - REALTOR.com®

Normally, land like that would be snapped up quickly, though it has been on the market for only 28 days. Calahan is an historic area of sorts; very pretty and with a quick shot down I-40 to hwy 70, wouldn't take that long to get to Salisbury. A large section of 70 is now 4-lanes due to the increase in 18-wheel traffic.

There are other large plots of land available. It could be that the sluggish housing market has made developers a little leery. Taking a good look at the land is a must. What realtors describe as "rolling" often means a straight drop off the side of the road. And make sure any offer is on the contingency that the land perks for a septic tank. You might want to look into the costs of those sorts of things for developing the land. It's not cheap.

Forgot to add: Davie County has an excellent GIS system Starting Davie County GoMAPS... (http://maps.co.davie.nc.us/GoMaps/ - broken link) Takes a bit of tinkering to figure it out, but I like maps anyway and sometimes fritter away a few hours snooping on properties

Old 03-26-2010, 06:17 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,154,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
From Clemmons? 158 to 801 (Hillsdale/Bermuda Run). 801 across 64 and down to Cherry Hill. Cherry Hill to 601 and on down to Salisbury. (If you miss Cherry Hill you continue down to the intersection of 801/601 - called by its fond name: Greasy Corners.) It's the route for several people I know who live as far out as Lewisville and work in Salisbury.
silverwing, the backroad route I'm talking about (Hampton Rd. to NC 150) would be shorter for anyone who lives on the south side of Clemmons (Salem Glen, Frye Bridge Rd, etc). From my house in Clemmons West, I can get to I-85 at the Yadkin River in 30-35 minutes. From there it's another 8 miles or so to Salisbury. Of course, there is the risk of getting stuck behind slow-moving vehicles, but there are plenty of straight sections where you can pass. Anyone living in the middle to northern side of Clemmons (including Lewisville) would be better off using your route. It just depends on where you're starting from.

And about the barbecue around Lexington, well, you're just talking about people who don't know any better. Eastern NC barbecue is the original, the real thing, and the only thing that can rightfully be called barbecue. Now I'll admit, some of that western style stuff is edible if you're really hungry (I go to Little Richard's quite often myself), but it's not the same thing. And the Travel Channel? What do they know? The restaurant they featured as the world's best isn't even the best barbecue in Lexington--any local will tell you that. One should never rely on some New York City TV station for barbecue advice!

Old 03-26-2010, 07:33 AM

72 posts, read 184,829 times
So I guess Sonny's isn't real BBQ!! Can't wait to find a hometown BBQ joint. Lexington is a town I wanted to check out too so maybe we will find something there. We did eat in Mocksville last time in a BBQ place that looks like a cabin sort of in the back of a parking lot downtown. Weird to get to, but it was pretty good. They chopped the meal real fine and served it dry with "red" slaw I think they called it.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:35 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times
Be glad your choosing Davie & Davidson County to be the quality of
life was better in Davidson County than it is here in Huntersville
where I am currently living.
Huntersville was great when I first moved here about 8 years ago
dont get me wrong it was crowded then but I was enjoying the
extra amenities but now I miss the big backyards, the tree lots,
the friendly get to know you kind of people you will only find in
Davie & Davidson County. I miss being able to run about 4 errands
in a hour then get back home. Now in Huntersville it one errand per 30 minutes all the freakin stop lights & I miss not having to
watch my back.
Your making a good choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasparker View Post
Wow thank you to all of you have replied. I love insight from people who live there or have lived there. Glad to hear about the plans for the high school. I always thought I might have time before I need it (my kids are elementary aged) and now hopefully that rings true.

rsa - When we come up for our visit we would be staying in Huntersville with family. That town is way to busy for us. Plus I don't think we could afford 10+ acres in Mecklenburg county. Also I am pretty sure I looked on line in the city of Davidson and loved what I saw, but again the land was a bit too pricey.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
ME - Taxes in Davie are, IIRC, about $60/$1000 - meaning that property with a valuation of 100k would be $600/year
Aaargh! BAD MATH! $6/$1000 = $600/$100,000 ::gets out ruler - smacks self up the side of the head::

Quote:
arbyunc silverwing, the backroad route I'm talking about (Hampton Rd. to NC 150) would be shorter for anyone who lives on the south side of Clemmons (Salem Glen, Frye Bridge Rd, etc). ... It just depends on where you're starting from.
Noting that. If I ever moved, I'd probably get out my topo maps to find the different ways around. Though I-85 will not be the fun way to get to Salisbury in the future. Looks like NCDOT has finally found a way to scrape together enough $$ to replace the Yadkin River Bridge. I hope things won't be the snarl that it was to the south. Whenever I wanted to go down to Concord, I took 29 to bypass all that freakin' construction.

Quote:
And about the barbecue around Lexington, well, you're just talking about people who don't know any better. Eastern NC barbecue is the original, the real thing, and the only thing that can rightfully be called barbecue.
*shrug* We'll have to agree to disagree. Like hot wings and Chinese food, there are subtleties that make people favor one place over another. Discussing BBQ in this state can evolve into hours long discussions dissecting the various recipes.

I, personally, was never able to make the transition from western-style to eastern-style. Whenever we make trips back to the Midwest to visit, we bring a dozen bottles of our native sauces back with us.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Be glad your choosing Davie & Davidson County to be the quality of
life was better in Davidson County than it is here in Huntersville where I am currently living.
When I tell people I live in Davie County, I get head scratches from people who don't know where that is, and a lot of wrinkled noses from people who do. The opinionators will ask what's there, to which I reply "nuthin' ". Which is what some people like. Just a small, "nuthin' " area. The opinionators then state that it must be difficult living without a lot of conveniences and diversions, which raises nothing but a *shrug* from me. What? People have to go to Walmart every day? They have to live a hop 'n skip from the mall? They want to eat out every night?

I remember when the area up around Lake Norman wasn't the hell it is today. Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson were just small towns. It might seem bizarre to people, but Sam Furr Rd did not have an exit to I-77 at one time. I'm glad that the area where I live doesn't have much to recommend it except the lower taxes for those who work in W-S, or better schools for those who work in Rowan County and have kids. The eastern side of Davie is getting kind of snarly, but I seriously doubt it will ever be as bad as where you live. I do fine without the conveniences by simply making a day trip over to W-S. I appreciate it more, in fact, because we usually have a list made up of stuff to buy, decide beforehand which restaurant we want to try, and then return home to our quiet acres.

Some people thrive on the fast pace and like that area around the lake, which is cool beans for them. We are glad to live in an area that will hopefully never have a reason to explode.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:40 PM

254 posts, read 924,846 times
Don't expect Davie to be "nuthin" for long. You're in the minority in your views about proximity to goods/services compared to others leaving the city for Advance, Bermuda Run & Mocksville. They want a Walgreens and McCafé or Starbucks at every crossroads. Makes me wonder why they leave the closer suburbs at all.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohaagen View Post
Don't expect Davie to be "nuthin" for long. You're in the minority in your views about proximity to goods/services compared to others leaving the city for Advance, Bermuda Run & Mocksville. They want a Walgreens and McCafé or Starbucks at every crossroads. Makes me wonder why they leave the closer suburbs at all.
Really? You think Cooleemee** will one day become a chi-chi area like Bermuda Run? Only if run down mill houses become all the rage. Or people take a sudden fancy to living near the Bull Hole.

Not to mention than when people find out that Duke Power owns 1800 acres off 801, which they once wanted to turn into Nuclear Plantville and still have ambitions should federal funds come their way, potential buyers tend to find other parts of the county more attractive.

**disclaimer - Cooleemee was, at one time, a prosperous mill town; those still living there are fine people. I've driven by and wished that someone would get a wild hair to turn the old mill into condos, much like other towns have rehabbed theirs. However, money seems to stay on the east side of the county, which is fine by me. Though I do sympathize with the Farmington folks and applaud their efforts to keep the developers from turning their community into a sprawl.

Last edited by silverwing; 03-26-2010 at 04:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point