Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 10:31 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
Me Too!! Love the laid back,casual Florida lifestyle! Hate cold weather!
To each is own Isn't it great to have options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 02:33 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,214,223 times
dawn, it actually feels like fla in the summertime in that area of nc. it's really hot there in the summer. it gets cold in the winter, so you have more of a change, but very little snow. i might be going out on a limb here, but i might even suggest that fla has better weather yr-round than nc.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:39 PM

930 posts, read 717,849 times
Thanks for everyones help. The weather here in winter is ok, but I'd prefer the cold over our summer heat anyday. We haven't really looked into any areas yet. We've never been there but will be visiting sometime next winter and during spring break next year. Are there any mountain views in any of Greensboro's surrounding neighborhoods? I'm trying to get as much info as I can by searching the forum. I'll try to read up on Chapel Hill. Is there a good school system there? How far is Rockingham from Greensboro? He wouldn't mind the commute. We're used to it. We're looking forward to the new scenery and the more we are learning about all the wonderful things to see and do there, the more excited we are becoming. We'll be close enough to Tennessee and Virginia to go on vacation there too. I want my kids to see that there are other places out there besides Florida and Georgia. There's so much out there to enjoy, but we never can seem to get very far now. Change is good. I appreciate everyones help. I will keep on researching.
Thanks again. I love all the help! YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!!

Old 04-18-2007, 07:49 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobotta View Post
Well if you had been in the area recently you could have seen some Va. mountain snows. There was snow in the New River Valley which is southwest of Roanoke. Actually there was snow in Roanoke about 1 hour in 45 minutes two weekend ago. My blog has a picture of my newly cut grass with snow on it..

What beautiful shots in my favorite place..Roanoke...although I lurk in the NC forum a lot (mainly due to the fact I'm losing family to that state left and right lol), our master plan includes a move to Roanoke in 2011 after the youngest graduates from HS.....I left my heart there 14 years ago when in-laws lived there. Hope our dreams pan out and we return soon soon soon .....as for white Christmas', we don't even have them in NY anymore.....and this year, it was White Easter!!!!!

Old 04-18-2007, 09:03 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,214,223 times
mtn views in that area of nc? i cant remember, but i'd say no. pretty flat if i remember correctly. and as far as preferring the cold over the hot, to each is own i guess. i prefer the heat over the cold, b/c i just love the beach, pools, etc... i'm not one to bundle up just to take the dog to pee. i'd rather have shorts and flip-flops on. although, here it is the middle of april, and it's down in the low 50's at night here in orlando area. go figure.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:54 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Topography of NC

http://www.geology.enr.state.nc.us/p...phy_600dpi.pdf

High points for each county

http://www.geology.enr.state.nc.us/c...gh_points.html

Old 04-30-2007, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,784 times
Default we love it here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn4261 View Post
Hi, I just love this forum, everyone has such great info. My husband and I and our 2 girls(8 & 4) will moving from Fl next summer. My husband will be relocating to greensboro. I'd like to live somewhere NW of greensboro in a good school district in a family friendly community. We're an active family and like our kids to be involved in everything(Karate, dance classes, going to the theater ect.) I've been reading alot about the greensboro area. We would like to be about 30 miles outside of the city. Can anyone please tell me how far it is by miles and by driving time, Greensboro is from the Virginia border? Thanks everyone.
My husband and I have lived in Greensboro for 20 years. A few years ago, we moved to a neighborhood just north of the city, which is perfect for young families. There is a neighborhood pool and tennis club, most of the families are young (ish) with kids ... We have a committee called the Ridgewood acts of kindness - we each put down what we are able to do to help, and then when a family needs help we are called to action.. preparing dinners, mowing grass, whatever needs to be done. It truly is special.

We can get to the state line in 30 mins.

We have a brand new - top of line middle and high school about 5 minutes from our neighborhood .. you should go online and look up Northern Guilford Middle .. it is being used by the EPA as a study of how schools should be built.
I am a mortgage broker so I know lots of the Realtors in town, if you need a name of someone good, let me know. There is a local real estate listing service that is great to use (Listingbook) you need to have a Realtor activate it for you.

what else do you need to know?

the only "bad" thing I can think of about living here is that the ice skating rink is 45 mins away, and so is Costco.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:01 PM

930 posts, read 717,849 times
Thanks for all the replies, I have done some research on Kernersville and it seems like a great place to raise a family. I need some help deciding on an elementary school. Can anyone tell me anything about Piney Grove elem and it's surrounding neighborhoods? We're not sure if we will be moving this summer or next. I love that I can get all sorts of info on this forum and whenever we do leave, I feel we will be somewhat prepared. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,715 times
Piney Grove is a great school. Live close, best area in k'ville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point