Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 09:10 PM

52 posts, read 193,929 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am going to be teaching in Davidson County this coming Fall. A transplant from Michigan and I am very excited about the move and all, but I have no idea of where to look for living. Not sure if an apartment or condo or house at the moment, just would like anyone at familiar with the county to give me input on it - whatever you want to tell me or think I should know is very much appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 10:09 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Hi, do you know where in the county you will be teaching? It a really large rural county and even though there isnt much far as traffic I would hate for you to commute from one end to the other to share your knowledge of such a noble posistion. I think ideally a house would be best you can find nice size houses on acre of land at relative great price less than 150k for 3 bedrooms around most of the county.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:51 AM

5 posts, read 17,354 times
Sunny is right... Davidson County is a fairly large place. Let us know where you are moving and we can help you better. I live outside lexington, and the this area is nice and very affordable.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:57 AM

Question areas

I should probably rephrase my question. I haven't gotten the job yet but I am focusing on that county, and just wondering what the areas are like. I am thinking that I will have a job either in the schools in northern Davidson outside of Winston-Salem as of now. I will know soon, very soon where though!

So any info and insight of places right now I would appreciate it especially from someone who lives there. Also, I will be on my own so places where a single female would feel safe and easy to get around.

Hope that helps!

Old 04-27-2007, 02:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
If apartment is a option maybe get a short term lease on an apartment or house til you find a home that suits you. It definite a buyer's market in this county.
If not knowing where in county you will be teaching I think any good home in city limits of Lexington would be ok to get to any school in the county. They all will be within 15 minutes to 20 minutes. The tax rate for the county is .54 cents

I saw realtor website some gorgeous historic 1920's large homes in downtown lexington on the market if they are in your budget. I know one of them on 5th avenue is owned by a retired teacher. I been in two of them and detail and room sizes are very nice.

If teaching in North Davidson I would focus on Welcome NC 27374 or Midway nc 27320 these areas are Winston Salem bedroom communities but still rural.

In my opinion the rough areas are very minimal Im not a fan of Thomasville area for living, but Thomasville schools are easy to get to from Lexington

Old 04-27-2007, 09:34 PM

Smile Thanks!

Thank you Sunnykayak! That helps a lot. I'm not a fan of the city and I've heard mixed reviews of Thomasville itself. From what you tell me, gives me some good options and ideas. Now just have to get the job and go from there.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:17 PM

676 posts, read 3,075,810 times
Also try the 27295 zip code.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:50 PM

222 posts, read 936,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colormegreen View Post
I should probably rephrase my question. I haven't gotten the job yet but I am focusing on that county, and just wondering what the areas are like. I am thinking that I will have a job either in the schools in northern Davidson outside of Winston-Salem as of now. I will know soon, very soon where though!

So any info and insight of places right now I would appreciate it especially from someone who lives there. Also, I will be on my own so places where a single female would feel safe and easy to get around.

Hope that helps!
Hi there! I live in North Davidson county and would be happy to help with any questions about the area. Good luck with your job prospect. This part of the county has great schools and teachers.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipster View Post
Hi there! I live in North Davidson county and would be happy to help with any questions about the area. Good luck with your job prospect. This part of the county has great schools and teachers.

Thank you so much, that part of the county is where I am focusing my search on. I enjoyed my visit down there and the area is great along with the schools. Soon as I know what school I will be teaching in I will be able to let everyone here know so I can get more feedback. Thanks!

Old 05-27-2007, 02:51 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,730,778 times
I am also interested in this area. Also in Michigan, I have a job interview for the Lexington City Schools. How big of a city is Lexington? The "city schools" throws me off a bit. It's not like inner-city type stuff, right? I don't think I could handle high-risk, being 800 miles away from my family AND being a 1st year teacher! I would appreciate any help as well!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point