Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2009, 05:09 PM

3 posts, read 9,054 times

Advertisements

Hi:
Hoping to move to Winston Salem area. Looking for large protestant church over 600, that a 52 year old widow, no children, that I would fit in.

If anyone knows of some, please let me know.

Thanks.

Sarah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 06:24 PM

881 posts, read 2,252,795 times
I used to attend Calvary Baptist for 4yrs before I moved. They are large and have several Bible Fellowship (AKA Sunday school classes) that appeal to a variety of people. For instance the young professionals class I was in was extremely active. Usually went to lunch on Sundays and would get together during the week and weekends to do various things.
http://calvarynow.com

Old 09-08-2009, 02:44 PM

109 posts, read 389,130 times
First Assembly of God is an awesome church with probably 5000 or more in attendance on Sunday Mornings. winstonsalemfirst - Home

Old 09-09-2009, 09:14 AM

4,587 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Are there any larger progressive or liberal churches in Winston?

Old 09-09-2009, 12:20 PM

109 posts, read 389,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Are there any larger progressive or liberal churches in Winston?
I don't think you can get much more larger and progressive than Calvary or First Assembly. I have heard that the church (Wait Chapel) at the Wake Forest University campus is pretty liberal.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:36 PM

Calvary or First Assembly though large, are the exact opposite of progressive/liberal. By liberal, I mean liberal theology and socially liberal, such as Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, United Church of Christ, Quaker, Episcopalian, liberal Methodists. The type of church I am looking for is pro-gay, pro-women pastors, ecumenical.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:25 AM

628 posts, read 2,069,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Calvary or First Assembly though large, are the exact opposite of progressive/liberal. By liberal, I mean liberal theology and socially liberal, such as Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, United Church of Christ, Quaker, Episcopalian, liberal Methodists. The type of church I am looking for is pro-gay, pro-women pastors, ecumenical.
Can you find anything like that besides at a Unitarian church?

Old 09-11-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_Random View Post
Can you find anything like that besides at a Unitarian church?
Yeah, you can find that at many churches, especially in large cities, university towns, and the Pacific and Northeast regions. In fact, most Lutheran, Presbyterian, Disciples of Christ, Episcopal, United Church of Christ, and many Methodist Churches in that area are very liberal. Just wondering if Winston has the same offerings. I heard Wait Chapel is very gay-friendly.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:05 PM

101 posts, read 357,108 times
Not sure of the specific churches you mentioned, but I wouldn't use the words "liberal" or "progressive" to describe much of ANYTHING here in the piedmont triad area.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:55 PM

322 posts, read 666,476 times
Wake Forest Baptist actually performed the first commitment ceremony in NC that I now of several years back...I can't remember the year...I consider that pretty liberal for North Carolina, not to mention it being a Baptist congregation. Even above places like Durham or Asheville that get constantly tagged as being 'progressive' or gay-friendly cities, Winston-Salem is consistently underrated as a progressive place...aside from the fact that it is home to UNC School of the Arts, numerous museums and galleries that have in years past pushed artistic buttons (I'm thinking of the controversy over Serrano's "**** Christ" art at SECCA which caused NC Senator Jesse Helms to butt heads with the NEA).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point