Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2009, 11:05 AM

6 posts, read 13,318 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, this is my situation. I got accepted into Grad school at NCA&T and I will be moving to Greensboro from Cincinnati, Ohio in January. I have an 8 year old daughter that's in 3rd grade who is coming with me. I need to know where can I find affordable housing for us in a neighborhood that is safe with decent school(s) to send my child. I am going to be on a TIGHT budget so I want to keep it under $500/month (if possible). Also, if you have any referals to any apartments, landlords etc, please let me know. I need ALL the help/advice I can get!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 06:57 AM

628 posts, read 2,070,248 times
How many bedrooms?
You might be able to find a one bedroom for under $500. 2 bedrooms in a decent area is usually over $500. But since you are moving in January there might be a desperate landlords that has lowered the rent in the winter. Greensboro is at 14% vacancy, which is one of the highest rates in the U.S.. This will be to your benefit.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:19 AM

6 posts, read 13,318 times
Thanks for replying d_Random. I would like a 2 bedroom, but I can make it work with a 1 bedroom with some creative decorating. Do you know what areas I should be looking in?

Old 10-08-2009, 12:02 PM

I am only really familiar with neighborhoods near uncg. Latham Park might be a good option. It's about 3 miles from A&T.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:36 PM

123 posts, read 355,170 times
I would check the newspaper, and craigs list!!!

Also have you checked with the school sometimes apt are posted on bulletin boards, and in the main office. It would be worth a phone call.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:54 PM

74 posts, read 205,104 times
That's a tough order, under 500. You might find something for 550. Most of the areas by A&T aren't any place for a 3rd grader. If you hop over to the other side of downtown and look off West Market down near Spring Garden you'll find a mix, some good and some bad. The closer you go towards High Point Rd the rougher it gets. The closer towards Battleground and Friendly the better (and probably more expensive) it gets.

There's an apt complex off Dolly Madison Rd (runs from West Market to West Friendly), can't think of the name of it off hand. I think it's Madison Woods. It's cheap, fairly safe and in a good school district (guilford middle) and probably 10/15 min from A&T (hit Friendly or Market and straight to A&T). The tenants might make you wonder, but it is in a decent neighborhood and most the people there mind their own business.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:46 AM

There is another recent post about Chestnut Street (Which is very near A&T). That area is pretty nice. I would stay on that side of Yanceyville Street.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:53 AM

254 posts, read 925,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoAZ View Post
Most of the areas by A&T aren't any place for a 3rd grader.
This is based on what?
I grew up not far from A&T and Bennett and find it no worse for a 3rd grader than many other areas of town; certainly better than areas near Four Seasons.
How exactly is this area bad for a 3rd grader?

Old 10-12-2009, 03:12 PM

74 posts, read 205,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohaagen View Post
This is based on what?
I grew up not far from A&T and Bennett and find it no worse for a 3rd grader than many other areas of town; certainly better than areas near Four Seasons.
How exactly is this area bad for a 3rd grader?
Based off what can be found a mile the other way.

In addition, you're probably right the areas around NC A&T and Bennett are better than the areas off High Point Rd, around Four Seasons.

Last edited by NCtoAZ; 10-12-2009 at 03:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point