U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 09:07 PM

12,576 posts, read 14,410,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
^ No offense, wfw&p, but "not bothering with a permit" could be a costly, and very dangerous mistake. I'm not intimately familiar with Forsyth County permit rules regarding decks, but in places I've lived before a permit may not be needed if the deck meets certain requirements--like not attached to the house, or below a certain size. However, if your deck is required to have a permit, you should get one. The trouble comes if something happens, like someone falls off of the deck because the rail didn't meet code, or if the deck is attached to the house improperly and falls down. If you don't have a permit, your insurance company won't cover the costs, which could be significant if someone is hurt or if it damages your home. So the small amount of money you save by not getting a permit could cost you lots more. That's not a risk I'd be willing to take.

But as I said, you may not need a permit depending on the design, but you should find out for sure. Better safe than sorry, I'd say.
I agree, generally speaking, but when it comes to small projects such as this I do the research and have the knowledge to do the job right, beyond what code requires. All must understand that 'code' is nothing more than the minimum. So when someone says "it meets code" well, all they did was meet the minimum; big deal.
My dad had a workshop built in his backyard and did it by book, inspections, code, blah, blah. Inspector 1 says wall studs spaced 24" apart for the sq footage (300 sq ft) is sufficient, inspector 2 says studs must be 12" apart causing the carpenter to have to add studs after the fact. Walls in freaking houses are only 16" apart.
I had a 200 sq ft storage shed built in my backyard, no permit, no inspection, no hassle, and its still standing. That's just my POV.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 10:41 PM

37 posts, read 207,332 times
BTW: Your brother, the chosen builder- He should know all this. Hate to call a brother out- He must not be too eager to build! He probably offered thinking you would never figure out the plan submittal process. Call that boy out and make him help you. :-)

Seriously though, happy to help.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:56 AM

66 posts, read 138,032 times
Oh he lives in Virginia, or I WOULD have made him do it. He is doing everything else. I would MUCH rather hire someone, but he insists and money is kind of tight so I am gonna take him up on it! Thanks SO much again!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point