Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2009, 05:14 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times

Advertisements

We have all heard stories about how crazy people drive in large metro areas such as; DC, CHI, ATL, NJ, running 20mph over the posted limit, passing on the shoulder, one shot 6 lane change and so on and I, as I'm sure many of you, have witnessed these astounding moments of stupidity in these areas. So, the question I have is why is it when these people visit this state they drive 5-10mph under the posted limit and as if they have never driven on a interstate before?
Do these travelers prep for their trip by watching "The Andy Griffith Show" and assume that's how we drive?
I'm not talking about driving in the city limits where an out of state driver may be looking for the right street to turn on, I'm talking a clearly marked interstate.
What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 05:27 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,657,526 times
Who cares what the other drivers are doing? As long as it's not dangerous, which it clearly isn't, why do you care?

My guess is, they're probably wary, as they should be, of all of the speed traps we have on a regular basis. I'm sure they can't afford an insurance rate increase.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:55 PM

273 posts, read 950,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Who cares what the other drivers are doing? As long as it's not dangerous, which it clearly isn't, why do you care?
When the flow of traffic is driving 5-10 mph over the speed limit and someone pulls into the left lane doing 5-10 under the speed limit, it can certainly be dangerous. I've seen too many accidents happen when this situation happens, and it usually involves more than two vehicles.

I drive all the time between WS and RDU, and have been in lines of traffic moving 75 mph and have passed "speed traps" and have never had an officer pull out. Typically they are looking for the lone dangerous driver who is driving recklessly. There are two lanes for a reason, if you're driving and not passing someone, get your butt in the right lane!

Old 10-27-2009, 06:46 AM

254 posts, read 925,292 times
The left lane is for passing ONLY. If there is no one in the lane directly to your right, then YOU are driving poorly. If you pass someone to their right without giving them adequate time to move over, then YOU are driving poorly. If you are in the leftmost lane with no one to your right and traffic behind you is moving faster than you, then YOU are driving poorly, even if you're doing 120.

Last edited by cohaagen; 10-27-2009 at 07:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point