Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 06:34 PM

38 posts, read 130,167 times

Advertisements

Hey X-Greensboro - I have been looking into moving to Indy -- what is your take on the city? Is it a safe place?

Any info would be appreciated....

Going to find my shotgun now in case I see some of them there gangbangers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 03:39 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times
Hey tchick, Indy is pretty nice, I like it but it's a whole lot different than the east coast and the winters are harsh. I'll PM you detail information.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:08 PM

4 posts, read 56,544 times
What is so horrible about comparing LA to Greensboro? The Triad prides itself on having interesting events and for being diverse. Greensboro is a large area ( whether you want to acknowledge it or not ). It can easily be compared to a section of LA ( In case you haven't recognized that LA is first a county, encompassing LA the city. Secondly, its has several subcommunities or towns. Get with it people! ).

I am 20 and desperately searching for something to do, outside of the library and the pool. Can someone help me out? I think not

One example. I attended Triad Idol. I was deeply upset to see very little diversity in the song list, the audience and the hosts bored me 2 near death.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:01 AM

Yeah, I guess you are 20, have you ever even been to LA?

Old 07-06-2007, 09:36 PM

32 posts, read 246,685 times
Question Well, we've got the pizza covered now, so how about eastern barbecue?

Since we're onto the pointers for eateries, how about some recs on:

1. Eastern barbecue.
2. Cheap, tasty, Thai.
3. The best Vietnamese restaurant.

Any suggs?

Old 07-07-2007, 12:35 PM

Well, it's been a few years but there used to be a hole in the wall on W. Market street past Spring Garden, called Rearn Thai (mid to late 90s) which was good and cheap but they may have gone "fancy", I'm not sure. Also, in the same vicinity, on Spring Garden heading towards W. Market street (past Wendover but before W. Market), there is a Vietnamese place which is excellent and cheap, not sure what it's called though, sorry. Also, on High Point road, there used to be another Vietnamese joint called Saigon which was excellent but a bit pricey. Also, there used to be a Thai place on Tate street (UNCG campus area) called Thai Garden which was great. I almost forgot, there is a place on Elm street downtown called West Wind cafe which is either Laotian or Cambodian which is excellent, I hope it's still there. This is all old information, so hopefully some of these places still exist as I haven't lived in Greensboro since 2003. Let me know what you find out.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:49 PM

2 posts, read 10,492 times
I'm a former Greensboro Resident. I now live in the WestSide of LA and though I like to hear you say that Gboro is green and pretty - I disagree with it being dull like a slightly quieted West Los Angeles. I'm actually looking to move back there asap to get back to the qualities that LA lacks.

Let me list the things that I will do to make life in Greensboro the opposite of dull for me:

- NY Pizza on Tate Street - LA doesn't have good pizza, but Greensboro does and I'm gonna eat it
- Thai Garden on Tate Street - you can't beat the $5 lunch special, I love the pineapple/coconut curry dish, but I remember the duck being mentionable.
- Downtown's Cultural Center, some great little galleries and fun classes for children's art
- Downtown is really shaping up and I can't wait to have nights with locally brewed beer after a day of antique shopping or maybe an evening show at the Carolina Theater on Greene Street
- Afternoons at the Arboreteum Park or the Bog Garden, both very beautiful parks
- The Weatherspoon Art Museum - this place has an amazing permanent collection and I've seen some great exhibitions pass through
- Evenings on a front porch with interesting people - i miss the academia, the art, the culture that I enjoyed in Greensboro. I had conversations on porches there that I haven't encountered in West Los Angeles.

Greensboro is a great place. Its diverse, its interesting, the history is intriguing. There is nothing poorly executed about it to me.

To each his own. I just wanted to give my thumbs up!

Old 07-10-2007, 12:22 AM

5 posts, read 17,660 times
WOW!!! I'm amazed tchick has been in Greensboro for 20 years and never seen a gang banger. I've been here since 1991 and that's all I see!!! It's a horrible city with MANY issues. Not a place to raise children. School system is barely mediocre. Nearly impossibe to know good from bad areas unless born and raised here. Crime rate increasing, city officials crooked. However, smaller towns outside of Greensboro aren't too bad.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:27 AM

27 posts, read 133,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessykat View Post
WOW!!! I'm amazed tchick has been in Greensboro for 20 years and never seen a gang banger. I've been here since 1991 and that's all I see!!! It's a horrible city with MANY issues. Not a place to raise children. School system is barely mediocre. Nearly impossibe to know good from bad areas unless born and raised here. Crime rate increasing, city officials crooked. However, smaller towns outside of Greensboro aren't too bad.
I think it's certainly possible to tell which areas are better than others, even only being here a short time. I do agree the city could do more to improve it's perception. One thing would be to ban panhandling and better fund the homeless shelters and drug treatment facilities. As far as "crooked city officials" I have great news. The mayor and entire city council are up for election in November. Here's our chance to address that issue!

Old 07-14-2007, 09:12 AM

38 posts, read 130,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessykat View Post
Can there be two Greensboros? NO, I have never seen gang activity in Greensboro. I was shocked to hear about the gangs on the local news this week. Maybe I don't hang out in the right areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point