Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 07:41 AM

4 posts, read 16,294 times

Advertisements

I have a mile limit from my son when I move to NC. I cannot be within a "drop-in" range. Like 50 to 100 miles away. I know it stinks. But it is what it is. I know going east toward the shore would be a mistake. So actually not just west but probably south too. Maybe close to a main highway. I'm directionly imparied. Thanks. I should probably add my son lives in Kernersville.

Last edited by alone again naturally; 01-07-2010 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: forgot to add son's town
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 09:23 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
I don't quite understand what you're asking. You want somewhere more than 50 miles from Kernersville but it still has to be in NC? Why? I'd say find a place you like (that's not in "range" of him) and don't worry what state it happens to be in. Do you want mountains? Urban area? Rural area? You need to describe more what you ARE looking for other than "not within 50 miles".

BTW, in NC we do not call it "the shore", we say "the beach".

Old 01-07-2010, 09:26 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
Yeah, and why would going toward the shore be a mistake?

Old 01-07-2010, 10:25 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alone again naturally View Post
I have a mile limit from my son when I move to NC. I cannot be within a "drop-in" range. Like 50 to 100 miles away. I know it stinks. But it is what it is.
You might want to take that part of the issue over to the Relationships forum to discuss why your son doesn't want you too close

Quote:
I know going east toward the shore would be a mistake. So actually not just west but probably south too. Maybe close to a main highway. I'm directionly imparied. Thanks. I should probably add my son lives in Kernersville.
As noted, a little more detail would help: job status, how close you want to be to amenities, price range ....

Old 01-07-2010, 12:24 PM

273 posts, read 950,199 times
Also, maybe a trip to Google Maps

You can go, what 250-300 miles West of Kernersville and still be in NC.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:07 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
How far west can I go from Greensboro before I leave NC?

Somewhere around W. Jefferson would be my best guess.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:46 PM

201 posts, read 594,211 times
Mt. Airy is to the north, W. Jefferson or Boone to the west, south maybe Asheboro? If you are retired, you would probably prefer to the north or west, not as many people, cooler temperatures, beautiful country views.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:05 PM

583 posts, read 2,803,031 times
When thinking "west of Kernersville" you might want to consider the weather. This year's snow is not the norm, but definitely something to consider if you're not comfortable navigating in the snow, etc.

You could also go south... Charlotte, etc.?

Old 01-12-2010, 05:11 PM

201 posts, read 594,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erineieio View Post
When thinking "west of Kernersville" you might want to consider the weather. This year's snow is not the norm, but definitely something to consider if you're not comfortable navigating in the snow, etc.

You could also go south... Charlotte, etc.?
Snow doesn't last long around here though.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:17 PM

676 posts, read 3,076,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alone again naturally View Post
I have a mile limit from my son when I move to NC. I cannot be within a "drop-in" range. Like 50 to 100 miles away. I know it stinks. But it is what it is. I know going east toward the shore would be a mistake. So actually not just west but probably south too. Maybe close to a main highway. I'm directionly imparied. Thanks. I should probably add my son lives in Kernersville.
Your question makes me so sad! Do you really want to move even 100 miles from someone who has made such cruel restrictions? Anyway, what I would recommend if you are certain you want to come out here is find a place with things to do to give you some kind of activities and opportunities to meet people who may want drop in visits! I am thinking Charlotte would be a good choice. Many people from Winston-Salem and Kernersville like to go to Charlotte for Ikea, mall, sporting events, museums, etc. and it may help get your son headed in your direction from time to time. Good luck and I am sorry you have such a crummy situation.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point