Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 12:05 PM

16 posts, read 100,061 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My partner and I are interested in moving to NC and have been looking into the WS area. I'm hoping some locals or those familiar with the city can provide some recommendations on neighborhoods which might be of interest to us. We are a gay male couple in our late thirties, looking for a diverse area that is convenient to downtown, close to shopping, nightlife, and a farmers market. We would also like a yard with a private setting, mature trees, and possible views (we prefer mountain views to skyline). As for housing, we are not looking for cookie cutter or mcmansions. I do like mid-century modern homes, those with some character and a custom feel, rather than just your typical brick ranch that is somewhat common. Our price range is up to 400K.

We appreciate any suggustions the posters can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 12:23 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
I live in Raleigh so I don't know the Triad area so well, but there is a thriving Community there. I found this website as a starting point for GLBT resources in the Triad. They can probably at least get you started.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:58 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
New Bern, a long way from where you posted, has a number of gay couples living in the historic districts. I am not aware of any trouble, and you can get an awesome, historic home in the $400K's down here. I live in the 2nd tier historic district (better homes $250K - $350K, and two couples are active in the historic association. A non-issue.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:58 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Look into Jamestown it a sophisticated area with low crime south of Greensboro but only 20 minutes

or Walburg. It a part of Davidson County with much lower propery taxes
it an up and coming area with very low crime
Its only 37 minutes but that is base on the city center
you will be on south west side of PTI airport

Davidson County the County Walburg is in .54 per 100 property taxes
Guilford County the county Greensboro and Jamestown is in .74 per 100 property taxes
you will also be in the middle and close to Winston Salem
34 minutes from Greensboro

ed to look for work in Winston
http://www.dornc.com/publications/5yr_tax_rates.pdf

Good luck

Old 01-17-2010, 03:26 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked into both, but I think we would like to be in Winston Salem rather than in a small community outside of town.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:32 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Almost anywhere in downtown W-S will work for you... West End is a great historic district with beautifully restored homes. Buena Vista is "the" establishment older neighborhood with mostly traditional architecture, but there are a few mid-century modern homes hidden here and there. Even though most folks think of Buena Vista as a "country club, family" area, there are also single professionals, empty-nester couples there too.

Washington Park (south of downtown) is comprised of older homes (I can't think of any m-c mod), but has old established landscape. With your budget, you could pick the cream of the available crop in Washoington Park. Proximity to UNC School of the Arts is a real plus (in my opinion).

"Views" in W-S with all your criteria may be a bit hard to come by. If you didn't have to have a yard, there are a lot of fantastic lofts in downtown, including the Art District.

Leonard-Ryden-Burr would be a good real estate firm to consider using as your buyer's agent. lrbrealestate.com

We lived near Old Salem & Brookstown Inn for 10 years (until we had to move to SC in 2008) and loved the diversity and vibrancy of our part of town.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:43 PM

322 posts, read 666,476 times
Your neighborhoods would most definately be the West End, Ardmore, Washington Park, Buena Vista, or downtown lofts, which have great views looking north toward Pilot Mtn, Sauratown mtns, and the Blue Ridge. Good luck, Winston-Salem is a friendly city.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:11 PM

Thanks wsnc62! You're response is very helpful!

Old 01-23-2010, 03:37 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroshawn View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I looked into both, but I think we would like to be in Winston Salem rather than in a small community outside of town.
lol, of course we all have our preferences, but, this is a fairly well educated part of N.C. you probably would not have much trouble in the same general area. Ignorance and bigotry is more prevalent in the under-educated sections of the state. I would avoid Smithfield.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:58 AM

23 posts, read 54,313 times
my husband and i moved to ardmore (WS) from new york city 4 months ago and adore it. the homes are charming and have large back yards with century old trees. there are no real scaping vistas, but if you get a home near miller street, which is the highest point in ardmore (i believe) you can see the sunset like we do at our home. good luck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point