Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 10:01 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,474,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I'm well aware of that.

It's one of the factors in wanting to leave.

And going to a much smaller city won't bother me at all. I've spent almost 30 years packed in with 6.5 million other people. Being somewhere I can breathe will be a huge relief. My wife and I are the type to be perfectly happy walking our dogs in the park for a couple hours, then coming home and reading a bit before watching a movie or two. When we go out, we usually go to dinner, a movie, maybe catch a concert if it is in town.

Really, if we need to do something exciting, we'll drive to D.C. and spend a few days, or something like that.

Besides, I highly doubt I will have much time for anything, being a first-year law student. To be honest, W-S wouldn't be my first choice. I'd prefer New England, but Wake is such a good school, I do enjoy the little bit of North Carolina I've seen, my wife likes it in NC, and Wake was also nice enough to bless me with a sizable scholarship.

So right now, a lot is pointing us in that direction.
Wake Law is a good second tier law school. 1L and 2L will keep you very busy and 3L will be a breeze in comparison, but you'll think graduation will never arrive. What type of law do you plan on practicing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 10:49 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Actually, it's a first tier school.

And I don't know yet. Probably criminal, but haven't made up my mind.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:21 AM

I'm curious - why did you choose Wake over any of the other law schools that accepted you?

Old 01-24-2010, 11:54 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
I haven't accepted yet, still waiting on some other responses.

But it's an excellent school, well-respected, and they offered me a very generous scholarship.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:45 PM

Good luck with your other applications.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:49 PM

Don't forget to watch The History Channel tonight at 9:00 CST (10:00 EST) for the next in a series about Winston-Salem's "Madhouse" Bowman Gray Stadium car racing - right on the outskirts of downtown Winston-Salem.

Even though the people you'll see on this weekly series may not represent the majority of people living in and around Winston-Salem it does give you a flavor because there's usually close to 20,000 people that go to these races each Saturday night during the spring and summer. The people who attend the races are almost exclusively white, which represents a large percentage of the population in the area.

It's worth an hour of your time to watch it. It's really pretty funny how The History Channel portrays Winston-Salem and the immediate area. Even Winston-Salem's popular local radio station WSJS, the largest and most well known AM radio station in the area, is used (accurately I might add) in the weekly series.

Tonight - 9:00 Central - The History Channel - Watch it!!! You'll get a kick out of it.

Last edited by highcotton; 01-24-2010 at 06:59 PM..

Old 01-25-2010, 07:50 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Even though the people you'll see on this weekly series may not represent the majority of people living in and around Winston-Salem it does give you a flavor because there's usually close to 20,000 people that go to these races each Saturday night during the spring and summer. The people who attend the races are almost exclusively white, which represents a large percentage of the population in the area.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Are you suggesting that this race is indicative of what it's like to live in Winston-Salem? Or that the race is racist? Or that there are too many white people in Winston-Salem? I can't seem to follow your innuendo.

Though I wonder, if you compared this to say, 20,000 people at a hip-hop concert at the Joel (most attendees might be black, which represents a large percentage of our population too), or 20,000 people at a Wake Forest football game (they're mostly white, but probably not the car-racing type), or 20,000 people attending the Dixie Classic Fair (where you'll find all types of people from all walks of life), would any of them alone give a prospective new resident the proper flavor of living here? No, I think it's all these things (and much more) that together make this a great place to live.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Are you suggesting that this race is indicative of what it's like to live in Winston-Salem? Or that the race is racist? Or that there are too many white people in Winston-Salem? I can't seem to follow your innuendo.

Though I wonder, if you compared this to say, 20,000 people at a hip-hop concert at the Joel (most attendees might be black, which represents a large percentage of our population too), or 20,000 people at a Wake Forest football game (they're mostly white, but probably not the car-racing type), or 20,000 people attending the Dixie Classic Fair (where you'll find all types of people from all walks of life), would any of them alone give a prospective new resident the proper flavor of living here? No, I think it's all these things (and much more) that together make this a great place to live.
It's my opinion that the majority of people living in and around Winston-Salem lean heavily toward the type/class/kind/habits of people you see at the Bowman Gray Stadium car races. Pointing out that the car race attendees are almost exclusively white is meaningful only because 52% of Winston-Salem's population is white non-Hispanic, therefore the car race attendees naturally represents a very large percentage of the [white] population in the area. The reference to whites had no other significance. (The type/class/kind/habits of non-white people in the Winston-Salem area is not being discussed by me - as that is an entirely different topic in and of itself.) That clarified, there are two other socioeconomic class groups that do not attend the car races - the upper middle class and upper class, which represents only a small portion of the area's population. Thus, I feel it accurate to say; "Even though the people you'll see on this weekly History Channel series may not represent the majority of people living in and around Winston-Salem it does give you a flavor because there's usually close to 20,000 people that go to these races each Saturday night during the spring and summer."

Last edited by highcotton; 01-25-2010 at 10:49 AM..

Old 01-26-2010, 06:11 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
It's my opinion that the majority of people living in and around Winston-Salem lean heavily toward the type/class/kind/habits of people you see at the Bowman Gray Stadium car races. Pointing out that the car race attendees are almost exclusively white is meaningful only because 52% of Winston-Salem's population is white non-Hispanic, therefore the car race attendees naturally represents a very large percentage of the [white] population in the area. The reference to whites had no other significance. (The type/class/kind/habits of non-white people in the Winston-Salem area is not being discussed by me - as that is an entirely different topic in and of itself.) That clarified, there are two other socioeconomic class groups that do not attend the car races - the upper middle class and upper class, which represents only a small portion of the area's population. Thus, I feel it accurate to say; "Even though the people you'll see on this weekly History Channel series may not represent the majority of people living in and around Winston-Salem it does give you a flavor because there's usually close to 20,000 people that go to these races each Saturday night during the spring and summer."

There are a couple of significant statistical flaws in your reasoning. First, the Bowman Gray races draw attendees from all over the Triad and beyond, not just Winston-Salem. With a population of around 1.6 million, and roughly half of them white, there are roughly 800,000 white people in the Triad. So only 2.5% of them (20,000) attend races, yet you're inferring that it represents the entire population. Secondly, you state that the only people who don't attend races are the upper middle and upper class. Not true. There are plenty of middle and lower class residents who aren't race fans.

I must say that I'm not sure what your point is. If you're trying to say there are a lot of redneck race fans in the area, I'd say yes, you're probably right. That would be true just about anywhere in NC, and increasingly all over the nation. But there are also "a lot" of many other lifestyles represented here, and fortunately none of them dominates the area. If you don't like race fans, you don't have to hang out with them and you'd probably rarely see them. If you do like race fans (or are one), you can go to Bowman Gray and have a great time. Everybody wins!

Old 01-26-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
There are a couple of significant statistical flaws in your reasoning. First, the Bowman Gray races draw attendees from all over the Triad and beyond, not just Winston-Salem. With a population of around 1.6 million, and roughly half of them white, there are roughly 800,000 white people in the Triad. So only 2.5% of them (20,000) attend races, yet you're inferring that it represents the entire population. Secondly, you state that the only people who don't attend races are the upper middle and upper class. Not true. There are plenty of middle and lower class residents who aren't race fans.

I must say that I'm not sure what your point is. If you're trying to say there are a lot of redneck race fans in the area, I'd say yes, you're probably right. That would be true just about anywhere in NC, and increasingly all over the nation. But there are also "a lot" of many other lifestyles represented here, and fortunately none of them dominates the area. If you don't like race fans, you don't have to hang out with them and you'd probably rarely see them. If you do like race fans (or are one), you can go to Bowman Gray and have a great time. Everybody wins!

There are a couple of significant statistical flaws in your reasoning. First, the Bowman Gray races draw attendees from all over the Triad and beyond, not just Winston-Salem. (Agree, that is why I have said; "people living in and around Winston-Salem" or I used the word "area".) With a population of around 1.6 million, and roughly half of them white, there are roughly 800,000 white people in the Triad. So only 2.5% of them (20,000) attend races, yet you're inferring that it represents the entire population. (Whether the middle or lower class people are race fans or not - it is representative of the type or kind of the majority of people in the area.) Secondly, you state that the only people who don't attend races are the upper middle and upper class. Not true. There are plenty of middle and lower class residents who aren't race fans. (Okay!)

I must say that I'm not sure what your point is. (Just offering educated advice the OP requested.) If you're trying to say there are a lot of redneck race fans in the area, I'd say yes, you're probably right. (Without a doubt!) That would be true just about anywhere in NC, and increasingly all over the nation. But there are also "a lot" of many other lifestyles represented here, and fortunately none of them dominates the area. (True, I'm sure there are many other redneck things they find to do.) If you don't like race fans, you don't have to hang out with them and you'd probably rarely see them. If you do like race fans (or are one), you can go to Bowman Gray and have a great time. Everybody wins! (Race fan or not, there are so many rednecks of all kinds they are hard to avoid.)

Last edited by highcotton; 01-26-2010 at 07:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point