U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2010, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,576 times

Advertisements

My husand and I and two small children are moving to Greensboro from Jacksonville, FL next month! He has a job there and I will be looking for part-time work once we settle down. we will be renting first and then later buying a home. I would like to know what are the best places to live for young families. I have a child who just started going to school so I would like info on the school system. Thank you for any info you can provide. I'm starting to get excited!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 01:09 PM

525 posts, read 1,946,029 times
you can check the school report cards here for Guilford County-http://www.ncreportcards.org/src/
just check the appropriate county and you're in business.

So many good neighborhoods for kids in the area- just depends on how old they are and what school you want them to be in. And whether you want to be in the country or the city, and what type of house you like. Personally, I prefer older neighborhoods with sidewalks and trees, like Lindley Park, Sunset Hills, Westerwood, etc. Close to downtown and UNCG.

Your best resource for info on things to do with the kids is the Piedmont Parent site- Family Activities, Preschools, Day Camps, Kids Eat Free Deals, and Resources for parents in Greensboro, High Point, Winston-Salem and the Piedmont Triad. So much to do, so many places to go!

Good luck!

Old 02-23-2010, 02:44 PM

627 posts, read 1,889,582 times
I hope you guys have a lead on a job because they are few and far between around here now-a-days.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:06 AM

59 posts, read 140,257 times
Erikag15,
Greensboro is a great area to live and raise kids. Both of my children attended public schools here and did very well.
Here is a link to the Guilford County Schools. GCS Online this is a link to a site that rates schools. GreatSchools.net
The job market is not as bleak as d_Random makes it sound.
There are many areas you would probably like to live. Althogh the houing market here is making somewhat of a comeback, many bargains can be found. Rentals are available everywhere. Are you thinking about an apartment or a house to rent?
Here are some links that might help you decide on an area. Also, your price point on a new home will help you determine a neighborhood.
Greensboro Crime Statistics
City of Greensboro
Home Page : News-Record.com : Greensboro & the Triad's most trusted source for local news and analysis

Old 02-24-2010, 10:35 AM

627 posts, read 1,889,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgso View Post
The job market is not as bleak as d_Random makes it sound.
The unemployment rate in Guilford County is 11.2% (http://www.news-record.com/content/2010/01/29/article/guilford_unemployment_rate_up_in_december - broken link).

Old 02-24-2010, 10:48 AM

59 posts, read 140,257 times
That still leaves 88.8% employed.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:58 PM

53 posts, read 253,474 times
Most of the elementary schools are fine, but the middle and high schools are a problem in the Guilford School District. If you want great schools once your child is older, consider private schools or living further out from the city & going to county schools.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:34 PM

21 posts, read 60,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgso View Post
That still leaves 88.8% employed.
Not really. The unemployment rate only includes people that are actively seeking a job and collecting unemployment benefits. It doesn't include people who gave up looking or people who are underemployed. Seeing as Greensboro is one of the top 5 emptiest cities in America, I'm guessing there's not a lot of work to be found at the moment.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:57 AM

69 posts, read 146,841 times
Knowing where you want to keep your monthly payments for housing and whether you are looking for a single family home with a yard vs. an apartment to rent will help you narrow down your search. There are plenty of each to choose from - just sign a 6 month lease in case your plans change once you get here - you might see some real estate deals you want to move on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point