Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2010, 06:48 PM

41 posts, read 110,972 times

Advertisements

We are coinsidering relocating to Greensboro and will be coming down to visit to do research on the area and also visit the zoo in Ashboro(?). Can anyone recommend a good, family oriented hotel in a safe area...and possibly tell us where to avoid? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 08:25 AM

59 posts, read 162,319 times
There are two very nice hotels, very close to each other and centrally loacted in Greensboro. The first is The O'Henry Ohenry Hotel, and the other is The Proximity Proximity Hotel. Both are a bit pricey, but very nice and have excellent restauants on site.

There is a hotel on Battleground Ave, [SIZE=3]Battleground Inn[/SIZE]‎, which is also centrally loacted and should be considerably cheaper, but not of the same cakiber as the first two.

There are several in downtown Greensboro, including the [SIZE=3]Greensboro Marriott Downtown[/SIZE]‎

There are several hotels and motels near the airport, but in general I would avoid them, except for the [SIZE=3]Embassy Suites Hotel Greensboro-Airport[/SIZE]‎.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:18 AM

101 posts, read 357,108 times
There are lots of newer motels in the West Wendover area right off I-40 that would be family oriented & safe. LaQuinta is one of them, it says on yahoo maps that they're located at 1201 Lanada Road. Plus there's a bunch of restaurants located in that area, too.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:32 PM

Thanks for the feedback. We don't have to be in the heart of the city or downtown. We will also be driving in, so airport proximity isn't a necessity if that makes a difference. Lookinf for affordable also. Less spent on a room, leaves more money to have fun right? I had read on another post about avoiding the east side of the city. I thought O'henry and Battleground was near there? Or is that East Battleground? Is there a difference?

Old 03-07-2010, 04:53 PM

201 posts, read 593,967 times
I think there is a new hotel in Kernersville which isn't far from G'Boro and is a nice area.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:02 PM

61 posts, read 165,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djenk4 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. We don't have to be in the heart of the city or downtown. We will also be driving in, so airport proximity isn't a necessity if that makes a difference. Lookinf for affordable also. Less spent on a room, leaves more money to have fun right? I had read on another post about avoiding the east side of the city. I thought O'henry and Battleground was near there? Or is that East Battleground? Is there a difference?
Which way are you coming from? If you're coming from the West (on East 40) I would recommend the area directly off of Highway 68. There are numerous more affordable hotels out there (Courtyard by Marriott, Fairfield Inn, Holiday Inn, etc. etc.).

If you want to be closer near the center of Greensboro, I would second the previous recommendation for hotels in the West Wendover area. Many many hotels, from Hyatt Place to La Quinta, etc. etc.

If you're looking to save $$$, I would definitely avoid the hotels mentioned in the first reply, specifically the OHenry and Proximity Hotels. They are both very nice (AAA 4 Diamond each I believe) but you could end up spending $200+ a night.

The downtown Marriott generally has reasonable rates and was recently renovated. You might have to pay for parking in their deck though.

Good luck. And welcome!

Old 03-22-2010, 07:36 PM

Coming from the Hampton Roads, VA area in about two weeks. Really excited! So, coming from the east and down 85.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:05 PM

61 posts, read 165,451 times
Quote:
Coming from the Hampton Roads, VA area in about two weeks. Really excited! So, coming from the east and down 85.
In that case, if you haven't picked a hotel yet, I would again recommend the Wendover area hotels. Many to choose from and you can get there right from Interstate 40 (Exit 214).

Old 03-23-2010, 07:45 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Quote:
Battleground is a north/south artery and Elm/Eugene St, which runs north/south as well, is the east/west dividing line. The areas recommended by previous posters are on the west side.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:58 PM

Thanks guys, I think we decided on the West Wendover area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point