Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 07:15 AM

111 posts, read 326,040 times

Advertisements

We'll be in Asheboro for a few days, probably will go to the zoo everyday. What else should we check out? We're a family with 2 kids, 2 and 4.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 08:34 AM

583 posts, read 2,802,534 times
If the weather is nice...
City of Asheboro, North Carolina | Home of the North Carolina Zoo (http://www.ci.asheboro.nc.us/visitors/sculpture.html - broken link)

And while you're out and about the downtown area, you might spot a fun local shop to visit too.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
The Asheboro Zoo is a beautiful Safari Zoo meaning the animals are kept in
spacious natural habitat. Bring lots of bottle water & food to picnic. When your
on the African check out the 4D theater its a treat to experience and a good
air condition place to cool off

A place I would recommend to eat is
Hibachi Grill & Supreme Buffet
large Asian Buffet but also has Pizza & fried Chicken.

Its at the top of Asheboro Mall parking lot

have fun;
N.C. Aviation Museum
Transportation museum; Military museum

Richland Creek Canopy Tours
Richlands Creek Zipline Canopy Tour is a great place to visit in Asheboro NC.
It is only about five minutes from the zoo. It provides a thrill for visitors of all age

Old 03-23-2010, 10:22 AM

111 posts, read 326,040 times
Great- we'll check into the city sculpture and Aviation museum definitely. The Zipline tour idea scares me! But my husband might try it. Did you try it?

We LOVE the zoo and go almost every other weekend but it is over an hour and a half drive both ways- so we decided to just go and stay in Asheboro for a few days to be near the zoo for our mini-vacation. Thanks for the suggestions! Other suggestions welcome of course How far a drive away is Uwharrie, and is it worth going with 2 kids (2 and 4) that can't really hike?

Old 03-23-2010, 11:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Uwharrie Mountains, some of the oldest in North America.

Uwharrie NF Recreation Guide (http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/uwharrie/index.htm - broken link)

good idea and not bad at all rather close to Asheboro
36 minute
789 NC hwy. 24/27 East Troy, NC 27371-9332 - Google Maps

I never been but I want to this year

Old 03-23-2010, 11:54 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,156,229 times
I'm not intimately familiar with the local Asheboro scene, but here are a few additional suggestions for the surrounding area:

Town Creek Indian Mound- About 25 miles south of Asheboro

Seagrove potteries

Emerald Pointe water park -- about 25 minutes north of Asheboro

Pisgah Covered Bridge

Edit to add: I forgot to mention there was a nice article last month's Our State magazine about revitalization in downtown Asheboro. Seems like a nice place.

Last edited by arbyunc; 03-23-2010 at 12:06 PM..

Old 03-24-2010, 07:06 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,526,967 times
Definitely go to Seagrove and visit a few potteries. You might even find, especially if it's on a weekday, a potter who'd be willing to demo for your kids, and even let them play in some clay. The NC Pottery Center would be a good starting point. Sid Luck is a fifth generation potter, used to be a public school teacher, and is very approachable. There are way too many other to list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point