Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 10:17 AM
JJM JJM started this thread

61 posts, read 236,609 times

Advertisements

I would really appreciate hearing about anyone's experience with home builders in the Greensboro/High Point area. We are considering D.R. Horton, Windsor Homes, or K. Harvorkian (sp.?). Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with them and any other recommedations? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 07:27 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,631,063 times
We went with Pierce Homes. We were looking for a ranch and also a place that did not look like a "cookie cutter" development. We found ours in Graham. We lived in South Florida when it was being built so we had a home inspector come in before the pre-drywall walk through. He inspected on a Monday and the walk-through was that Friday. He found a few problems and when we forwarded his email to Pierce, all of the problems were taken care of before we got here. He also told us it was a very well constructed home. My husband was an inspector in Florida so when we walked through, he was very pleased. Sure we have had a few things that needed and still need to be taken care of. But they take care of it very quickly and no questions asked.

We have also come to believe because of our own experience in Florida and from other people we have talked to that the biggest asset is the Superintendent in charge. If he knows his job and is on the ball, that makes the biggest difference. He can't oversee everyone all the time, but that is why things are under warranty for a year.

We also went to other developments built by Pierce and talked to the homeowners who were out and about when we went through. They were all happy and happy with Pierce.

We also liked the K Hov's. We just happend to find the right house in the right place at the right time. As it was, this development was not on our list to check out. We had other Pierce areas we were going to check out and drove by here on our way to another one.

Good luck. Also try and talk to people who live in the homes built by whatever developer you are looking at. And if you are lucky to find someone in the same development, that is even better.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:15 PM

2 posts, read 7,272 times
I do not have any experience with the builders mentioned, but would recommend to stay away from Otey construction. Moderator cut: no consumer complaints permitted

Last edited by autumngal; 08-07-2008 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: unsubstantiated allegations

Old 06-25-2008, 02:44 PM

799 posts, read 3,216,143 times
So far from looking around I like the look of many of the K. Hovnanian homes and sites ok. I would recommend you stay way from Old South Home builders. Their "new" homes have siding coming off already and unlevel/unplub woodwork! I was amazed to see that low quality of work with my own eyes! Good luck in your search, and please let us know here what else you find out, ok? Thanks!

Old 06-27-2008, 09:01 AM

2 posts, read 9,646 times
Pinkbell
HI I agree with the writer that went with Pierce homes their great. We did finally go with Eastwood homes there from the triad area also and just like Pierce Homes there excellent.They stand behind there product and I had them checked out thru bbb& consumer affairs, their record is good.I would go between the two,Eastwood or Pierce homes. At the time,we went with Eastwood becasue of the great incentive that was going on and all the extra they gave along with the incentive. It's been a year and were very happy with our home. Good luck

Old 06-30-2008, 09:57 AM

525 posts, read 2,115,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeg4sushi View Post
So far from looking around I like the look of many of the K. Hovnanian homes and sites ok. I would recommend you stay way from Old South Home builders. Their "new" homes have siding coming off already and unlevel/unplub woodwork! I was amazed to see that low quality of work with my own eyes! Good luck in your search, and please let us know here what else you find out, ok? Thanks!
The builders you mentioned are all better than Old South. They just slap em up and go. Wise advice.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourhometriad View Post
The builders you mentioned are all better than Old South. They just slap em up and go. Wise advice.
Yes! And I did I mention I was able to see this all from sitting in my CAR? I didn't even bother getting out.

I toured, for this poster too, some Windsor homes. I looked at the Glen Meadow (Meadow Glen) subdivison and I really liked it. The model home was nice and the details were nice. I liked this community because it really felt like it was in its own little world, a pocket if you will, different from the surrounding area. The seller also told me the houses they build from now on will also include sod. This I think is important since the heat can be so harsh, on the clay soil. It's really not meant for sun exposure unless you intend of making a brick factory. :P

But, if you want, feel free to check them out. I will be taking my husband there this week for him to see....

Good luck in your search everyone!

Old 08-06-2008, 10:03 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,631,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
We went with Pierce Homes. We were looking for a ranch and also a place that did not look like a "cookie cutter" development. We found ours in Graham. We lived in South Florida when it was being built so we had a home inspector come in before the pre-drywall walk through. He inspected on a Monday and the walk-through was that Friday. He found a few problems and when we forwarded his email to Pierce, all of the problems were taken care of before we got here. He also told us it was a very well constructed home. My husband was an inspector in Florida so when we walked through, he was very pleased. Sure we have had a few things that needed and still need to be taken care of. But they take care of it very quickly and no questions asked.

We have also come to believe because of our own experience in Florida and from other people we have talked to that the biggest asset is the Superintendent in charge. If he knows his job and is on the ball, that makes the biggest difference. He can't oversee everyone all the time, but that is why things are under warranty for a year.

We also went to other developments built by Pierce and talked to the homeowners who were out and about when we went through. They were all happy and happy with Pierce.

We also liked the K Hov's. We just happend to find the right house in the right place at the right time. As it was, this development was not on our list to check out. We had other Pierce areas we were going to check out and drove by here on our way to another one.

Good luck. Also try and talk to people who live in the homes built by whatever developer you are looking at. And if you are lucky to find someone in the same development, that is even better.
Well, it appears Pierce Homes is going out of business. A shame because they built quality homes but being a small builder in these times hurt them.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:02 PM

That's a bummer! Their homes were nice looking. But I guess it's not a surprise, and we may see more of that. In the Triad area, applications for new building home permits were down 45% from 2007! Lots of new home builders are offering crazy incentives on some of the existing inventory.

Well, I guess on the bright side, the slowdown is going to have people really thinking clearly about what land and areas to build on, instead of making communities next to enormous electricity poles, flood zones and 70mph highways.

I wonder how the energy efficient homes and such builders are faring? What were they called..."Energy Star"?

Old 08-08-2008, 08:01 AM

7 posts, read 18,771 times
What about McCar Homes in High Point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point