Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 03:33 PM

14 posts, read 29,271 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are interested in relocating to South Carolina. I am originally from Pennsylvania, but currently reside in Reno, NV. I had to relocate for work, but cannot stand it here. Too dry. Too windy. Too congested. And too brown! We both have visited South Carolina on a number of occasions and absolutely loved the weather, the people, and the culture. We have wanted to move there ever since, and currently have the motivation to really commit to looking and determining how we can make this happen.

We have narrowed down our choices to Florence and Greenville. I am familiar with some of the larger companies in Florence, but have been unable to find anything on some of the big businesses in Greenville. Can anyone name a few that may be of interest? I worked for a pharmaceutical company in the past, and now work as a Product Manager in the Marketing Dept. of a medical device company. I don't know if that helps - but I would be looking for something similar, as far as sales or marketing is concerned.

It is my understanding that Florence has:

Roche Carolina
Smurfit Stone Container
QVC (Distribution Center)
Honda
McLeod Regional Health
GE/Healthcare
ESAB
Sunoco

A similar breakdown of some of what Greenville has to offer would be wonderful!

Any thoughts on Greenville vs. Florence?

Thank you so much everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 04:15 PM

27 posts, read 80,527 times
Nutra Manufacturing, Inc.
.....plus
Greenville Jobs - Greenville SC South Carolina Jobs & Employment

Old 06-14-2010, 04:15 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,506,192 times
Some of the larger employers in Greenville and its metro area would include BMW (mostly hired as temps, then a select few are given permanent status); GE, whose Energy division is based here, and they also have a jet engine turbine plant here as well; Fluor Engineering, who have a corporate campus here and Greenville Hospital System (multiple campuses in the area). I'm sure others will chime in with other employers.

What are your backgrounds and experience? As always, the job market depends on your skills & experience, and the need for them locally.

As far as Florence vs Greenville, I don't think there's much of a comparison where quality of life is concerned. Greenville and the Upstate have so many recreational, cultural, and historic opportunities that it's almost not a fair comparison. Florence's proximity to Myrtle Beach is a plus, but I haven't been impressed when driving thru the city. We hope you choose the Upstate, and good luck!

Old 06-14-2010, 05:56 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,756,220 times
You want a job in Greenville? Take a number and get in line.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:48 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,506,192 times
Lordy, the sour grapes do linger on!

Old 06-14-2010, 07:34 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,756,220 times
Enough of the drama... trying to find a job is not a beauty contest. It's a necessity of life.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:13 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,569,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
Enough of the drama... trying to find a job is not a beauty contest. It's a necessity of life.
And, that has to do with what, when talking about the largest employers between two metros? No one asked if they're hiring, just looking for an industry comparison.

We can all agree that someone should land a job before moving anywhere.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:13 PM

11,690 posts, read 24,696,119 times
Quote:
You don't need a job. All you need is Obama.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
of course finding a job is a necessity of life, but quality of life encompasses a lot more than just where you work. which is why i asked the people of greenville to share their opinions with me. you can find a job anywhere, doing almost anything if you try hard enough. but who wants to work at a place they don't like, and maybe in an area that might not be the best for for them or their family. i am sorry you are having such a hard time in the job market. but things will get better and the right opportunity will come along.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:40 AM

thank you to those who have replied with some suggestions! i am excited to learn more about the area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area