Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 08:55 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times

Advertisements

Just saw this article on the best high schools in the US: America's Best High Schools: The List - Newsweek

Of the 16 SC schools that made the list, 10 are in the GSA area!

Southside, Governors School, Woodruff, Mann, Wade Hampton, Eastside, Greenville, Riverside, Mauldin, and Spartanburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 06:39 AM

207 posts, read 555,794 times
that's great news!

Old 06-17-2010, 09:59 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,660,771 times
I agree. Great news! You know, normally these lists seem bogus, but I tend to agree with this one. They must have done some of the research correctly.

I once was the captain of my high school quiz bowl team. (and I went to one of those schools on the list). Those schools on the list are the ones I would have dreaded facing in quiz bowl competition. I always thought that was somewhat related to how good the school was.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:05 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,847,696 times
don't let the list fool you. southside while it offers MANY AP and IB tests to multiple kids, the schools state wide report card is awful. i think the most recent data shows southside with a graduation rate of 50%. of the 200 9th graders who enter southside right now 100 of those will graduate.

now with all that being said I think its great the schools offer their kids so many college placement chances. as someone who grew up in ohio we never had IB at any school and when it came to AP courses the list was limited and you had to pay for the test yourself.

in greenville county someone else foots the testing bill which is great. a kid could earn college credit essentially for free.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
don't let the list fool you. southside while it offers MANY AP and IB tests to multiple kids, the schools state wide report card is awful. i think the most recent data shows southside with a graduation rate of 50%. of the 200 9th graders who enter southside right now 100 of those will graduate.

now with all that being said I think its great the schools offer their kids so many college placement chances. as someone who grew up in ohio we never had IB at any school and when it came to AP courses the list was limited and you had to pay for the test yourself.

in greenville county someone else foots the testing bill which is great. a kid could earn college credit essentially for free.
I figured as much. Southside was at the top of the NW list (but based on my research way down our list), and Riverside and Mauldin (at the top of our list) were quite a ways down the NW list.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I figured as much. Southside was at the top of the NW list (but based on my research way down our list), and Riverside and Mauldin (at the top of our list) were quite a ways down the NW list.

i'm a teacher in greenville county and always chuckle when i see those NW rankings. i know the school i teach at, one year the administration created an entirely new AP course and pushed as many as 150 kids into it, even those that had no business being anywhere near an AP course just so their ranking in NW would go up. The new AP course had a HORRIBLE passage rate and in most cases left kids with an F on their report card. don't get me wrong i'm a firm believer in increasing rigor in school courses and getting kids to take tougher courses but don't do it so you can appease a magazine ranking.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:06 PM

Mauldin and Riverside are actually what I would classify as 2 of the 3 best schools in the state not just GCS. JL Mann has lagged some academically but is still good. Every year the South Carolina Athletic Directors Association releases a detailed ranking of the best high school athletic programs state wide based on overall performance. The last few years Riverside and JL Mann have dominated their classification athletically as a whole and Mauldin this past year saw a tremendous jump in athletic achievement to go along with their academic achievement.

the only strike against Mauldin is that for some time now they've had gang related issues and racial tension. ask any GC Sheriffs Officer and they'll confirm this. I believe some of those issues have now been contained as this past school year I heard little to no incidents involving either. if they got rid of the problem, kudos to them then.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:16 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,660,771 times
Quote:
Mauldin and Riverside are actually what I would classify as 2 of the 3 best schools in the state not just GCS. JL Mann has lagged some academically but is still good. Every year the South Carolina Athletic Directors Association releases a detailed ranking of the best high school athletic programs state wide based on overall performance. The last few years Riverside and JL Mann have dominated their classification athletically as a whole and Mauldin this past year saw a tremendous jump in athletic achievement to go along with their academic achievement.

the only strike against Mauldin is that for some time now they've had gang related issues and racial tension. ask any GC Sheriffs Officer and they'll confirm this. I believe some of those issues have now been contained as this past school year I heard little to no incidents involving either. if they got rid of the problem, kudos to them then.
Wow. Thanks for your post. Good information!

Old 06-22-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:

Thanks here as well. We're coming up next month to spend a week getting a feel for day to day living, and exploring the East and South ends of town (Greer, Mauldin, Five Forks, etc). We'll be making our decision on where to live based on this trip, high schools being our primary focal point.

We like the Mauldin / Five Forks area for the proximity to downtown and Woodruff Rd. I'll have to do a bit more research on this issue and see what I can find. We are most likely going to visit Riverside High, Mauldin High, and The Fine Arts Center while we are there, so I'll bring it up.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:40 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Thanks here as well. We're coming up next month to spend a week getting a feel for day to day living, and exploring the East and South ends of town (Greer, Mauldin, Five Forks, etc). We'll be making our decision on where to live based on this trip, high schools being our primary focal point.

We like the Mauldin / Five Forks area for the proximity to downtown and Woodruff Rd. I'll have to do a bit more research on this issue and see what I can find. We are most likely going to visit Riverside High, Mauldin High, and The Fine Arts Center while we are there, so I'll bring it up.
I believe the schools are closed Fridays through summer so make sure you go another day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area