Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 12:40 AM

910 posts, read 2,293,592 times

Advertisements

Hi, after nearly 2 years of research I will be able to visit at last and I'm hoping this visit will be the definitive one, I really need a (lasting) change real bad! I'll only spend a couple of days there as I will be meeting with a friend in Charlotte, NC to spend July 4th there and then head back to FL but I need ideas about what to see and do during those 2 days that won't cost much (or free if possible!) and will give me a general view of the area. Also, any tips about making the most of those 2 days will be greatly appreciated!

I'll also would love to meet anyone from here who have been so kind to reply to my posts, it would be great to start making friends right away so don't be shy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 05:42 PM

7 posts, read 10,586 times
Everybody visits Falls Park downtown--it's nice and it's free. The parking can be a problem, or at least it was when I used to go there a lot, a few years ago. Best time: in the middle of a work day. Best shoes: good walking shoes. There are a lot of other things to see downtown too. Or, if you're a hiker, Paris Mountain State Park is nice--$2 per person.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:08 PM

180 posts, read 341,648 times
are you moving here?

Old 06-21-2010, 12:32 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,099,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
Hi, after nearly 2 years of research I will be able to visit at last and I'm hoping this visit will be the definitive one, I really need a (lasting) change real bad! I'll only spend a couple of days there as I will be meeting with a friend in Charlotte, NC to spend July 4th there and then head back to FL but I need ideas about what to see and do during those 2 days that won't cost much (or free if possible!) and will give me a general view of the area. Also, any tips about making the most of those 2 days will be greatly appreciated!

I'll also would love to meet anyone from here who have been so kind to reply to my posts, it would be great to start making friends right away so don't be shy!

If possible, can you and your friend spend the 4th here in downtown? It's one of the most awesome 4th of July events that I've ever been too.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingisfun View Post
Everybody visits Falls Park downtown--it's nice and it's free. The parking can be a problem, or at least it was when I used to go there a lot, a few years ago. Best time: in the middle of a work day. Best shoes: good walking shoes. There are a lot of other things to see downtown too. Or, if you're a hiker, Paris Mountain State Park is nice--$2 per person.
Great suggestions, thanks! From the start of my search Falls Park became a "must" so I'll be there! I'd "heard" of Paris Mountain but did not have it on my list yet but now I do, I love nature and walking so thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillymiller123 View Post
are you moving here?
The purpose of my visit is to see what my first impression tells me, so far "on paper" Gvl seems just like the place for me so I'm hoping this little visit will confirm this for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
If possible, can you and your friend spend the 4th here in downtown? It's one of the most awesome 4th of July events that I've ever been too.
I'm sure she can't because she's meeting a couple of her children in Charlotte, NC and since I thought I wouldn't have enough to do in Gvl I asked her if I could join them, but since she's really just a new friend and I've wondered if I just may be "in the way" despite of her protests to the contrary, I don't really have to go there if I can occupy myself enough... So PLEASE don't hold back and tell me all about it, I'd actually been wondering about a fireworks display and stuff like that, fun traditional things I have not participated in for years but used to be a big deal when my kids were young (nostalgic...).

Old 06-21-2010, 03:59 PM

180 posts, read 341,648 times
ok, thats great, greenville is really nice, hope you enjoy it!

Old 06-22-2010, 11:24 AM

Thanks Sillymiller but what about a suggestion?

I have to confess I'm disappointed at the response to this thread, 164 views and I only got TWO suggestions...?! I've been reading for so long about the "wonderful" friendliness of people in Gvl so, frankly, I expected more than this... No offense to anyone in particular but I'm beginning to wonder if it's all superficial (as I read here once...) or if it is that many of the "transplants" who are at this forum just like being at the receiving end but are not used yet to "doing as Romans when in Rome"...

I sure hope people will really decide to come out of their shells and comfort zones to continue the tradition rather than leave me wondering if those who are reluctanct to encourage more people to move there are right in their fear that in no time some of the very things that made the area attractive might disappear... However, although sometimes I can a bit outspoken (as you can see here...), I can assure you all that I'm very friendly and helpful (and I do not bite ), I'm actually hoping to contribute positively to my future new community in all the ways I can, so come on, dont' just read my posts, try to prove me wrong as I'm already wondering if I should go on to Greensboro, NC after all which was my first choice back in '08...

Old 06-22-2010, 12:32 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Sorry for the late response. Here are some of my suggestions:

BMW Zentrum
Greenville Zoo
Children's Museum
Greenville Drive
Downtown
Greenville County Museum of Art
Upcountry History Museum
Furman University's campus
Swamp Rabbit trail
Paris Mountain State Park
Bob Jones Art Gallery
Shoeless Joe Jackson Museum
Pavilion ice skating rink
Roper Mountain Science Center
One of the area's three waterparks

You can find more here: http://www.greenvillecvb.com/

Old 06-22-2010, 04:44 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post

I'm just seeing your post for the first time. There is a lot to do in Greenville. You could spend a nice long weekend in the downtown area alone. To get your bearings, know that the Reedy River separates City Center from the West End.

To start, visit Falls Park. This beautiful urban is phenomenal. The pedestrian bridge that overlooks the Reedy River falls has become an icon for the city. Go during the day and again at night; you'll get a totally different feel (and both are great!).

You can decide from here whether you want to go North (to City Center) or South (to explore the West End historic district). I recommend walking, as you will get a feel for the way city leaders have paid close attention to the pedestrian scale. I don't know if you are a detail person, but if you are then you will surely notice the small things that make Greenville great - manhole covers with the city logo on them, colorful flowers planted, well-placed public art, consistent wayfinder signage, etc. These sorts of things really set Greenville apart even more.

The Greenville County Museum of Art is very good. Any of the performing arts venues (such as Peace Center, Greenville Little Theater, Warehouse Theatre) are excellent. Catch a Broadway performance if you can. I would also check out Art Crossing, a nice stretch of local artists' shops along the banks of the Reedy River.

I know you don't want to spend much money, but you should consider checking out one of the downtown area's many food options. You will find everything from one of America's best restaurants (Rick Erwin's West End Grille) to other highly touted restaurants (High Cotton, Soby's, Ristorante Bergamo) to moderately-priced options (Trio, Lazy Goat, Pomegranate) to more inexpensive places (Chicora Alley, Mojito's, Bertoli's). If you are craving a certain kind of food, you are likely to find it there.

Also, since you probably want to move to the area, drive through some of the suburbs. Keep in mind that they are suburbs, so they might feel more generic. They will also vary with regard to amenities, proximity to where you want to be, etc. Keep that in mind as you explore. Regardless of your price range of house, I am confident you can find something you like.

Best of luck with your visit! Let us know if we can help as you continue to plan your trip.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:13 PM

G-man430 & Greenville:

Yes!!! These are the types of responses I'd been hoping for and it's good to "hear" from people whose nicknames I've been seeing in this forum from the start (but I'm still hoping Skyliner will pop his head around here soon too...). Thank you both very much for restoring my faith in the "Greenville Spirit"
, I was really beginning to feel a bit bummed! I was panicking a bit because I realized today I only have little over a week left to plan and didn't really have much to go by yet.

Greenville:

I loved your suggestion of walking through the historic district, that's exactly the kind of thing I'd love to do, and, yes!, I like details as those you just mentioned , how's the parking around that area? Where do you think it would be best for me to park to go on on foot for a stretch?

I'll have to print these responses so I don't forget a thing and although I'm just going to be a renter of something small and modest as opposed to buying a house, I'll do a few searches here so I can write down names of areas I've read about before, both the nice ones as well as those to avoid.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area