Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 10:49 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times

Advertisements

Greenvilleonline is a poorly designed website IMO. I doubt if they get that many hits in the first place.

Since Gannett owns the paper, they have done a nice job with the paid version of USA Today. It's very slick and easy to read...it looks like an exact copy of the regular paper. This could be where The Greenville News is heading. But you can still get a lot of free info from the regular usatoday.com site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 12:23 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,467,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leggo View Post
sorry greenvilleonline dot com --- I won't pay to check the news. I'll go to wyff dot com for FREE!

I think it is going to be a mistake on their part.
I don't think they have a choice. We're seeing the slow and painful death of newspapers. The Greenville News, as well as almost every other newspaper, has seen a sharp decline in the number of people who subscribe to its print version. People are going online for their information now. Will these sites provide enough information to justify a paid subscription? Most probably won't, but what choice do they have with subscriptions on the decline and advertisers backing out?

Old 06-24-2010, 12:44 PM

26 posts, read 40,663 times
Soon there will be an alternative free website for Greenville and the surrounding areas covering events, entertainment, the music scene, restaurants, outdoors and a forum.

Stay tuned.................

Greenville Free Press

Old 06-24-2010, 03:30 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
I check out greenvilleonline.com a couple of times a day. Bummer. I won't subscribe.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:36 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
What in the world is the Greenville News? I thought it was called the Greenville SNOOZE.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:25 PM

910 posts, read 2,292,328 times
Oh, that smacks... and it's not going to work, guaranteed! This is the first time I hear of paid online subscriptions for newspapers, even in some underdeveloped countries there are FREE real newspapers and online ones, that's what the ads are for. Although when I'm online I hardly ever see pop-ups as I use a blocker, I also hardly ever see any ads when I use my desktop which has Fedora (Linux) instead of Windows, I got so spoiled that when I got my netbook I was kind of shocked about all the ads I saw.

This reminds me of the time Hotmail decided to limit storage space and then offered paid storage... people moved in DROVES to other e-mail providers and very soon Hotmail offered much more storage space than before for free.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:21 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
NOTHING on the greenville online website explaining how this will work and how much.
I gathered from the news last night you need to physically get the paper to get the online.
I don't want to deal with all that newsprint and it really is a waste.
Guess I, too, will go for WYFF4.
The news media have gone downhill over the past decade; it is not like there is much to miss.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:14 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leggo View Post
sorry greenvilleonline dot com --- i won't pay to check the news. I'll go to wyff dot com for free!

I think it is going to be a mistake on their part.
+1

Old 06-27-2010, 01:03 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,137,125 times
My home subscription to the GN ran out back in Feb.. I got a renewal subscription in the mail with a price of $280.00 I believe it was. We decided that was way too much for the paper so we trashed it. The paper kept coming. I got a call in early March offering me the paper for $85.00 for a year. I was driving down the road and could not give her credit card info so I just said No Thank You. The paper kept coming. In April I got another call asking if I did not want to renew my subscription for $85. I said sure let me give you my credit card info. When she totaled it up there was an extra $20 charge. I asked about that and she said that was for the papers I recieved without a subscription. I told her to cancel the order, I did not wish to deal with them any more. The next day the paper stopped. I then got a letter in the mail telling me that my account was going to be turned over to a collection agency for the $20 or so I owned when they delivered the paper without a subscription. I called and told them I had a new address for them to deal with. It was my attorney and he would be glad to talk with them about their billing practices. No more bills and no more Greenville News.
Wonder what will go in the Greenville News building when they go out of business.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:06 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
My home subscription to the GN ran out back in Feb.. I got a renewal subscription in the mail with a price of $280.00 I believe it was. We decided that was way too much for the paper so we trashed it. The paper kept coming. I got a call in early March offering me the paper for $85.00 for a year. I was driving down the road and could not give her credit card info so I just said No Thank You. The paper kept coming. In April I got another call asking if I did not want to renew my subscription for $85. I said sure let me give you my credit card info. When she totaled it up there was an extra $20 charge. I asked about that and she said that was for the papers I recieved without a subscription. I told her to cancel the order, I did not wish to deal with them any more. The next day the paper stopped. I then got a letter in the mail telling me that my account was going to be turned over to a collection agency for the $20 or so I owned when they delivered the paper without a subscription. I called and told them I had a new address for them to deal with. It was my attorney and he would be glad to talk with them about their billing practices. No more bills and no more Greenville News. Wonder what will go in the Greenville News building when they go out of business.
That's awesome dude. I don't have a subscription to the G-News and never will. It's a horrible newspaper. The Greenville Journal and WYFF which are FREE are much better in my opinion. My dad has a subscription to the G-News. I'll just use his account to get on their website beginning July 1st.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area