Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 06:28 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times

Advertisements

Yeah, i'm having a problem: Experiencing problems? We're here to help | greenvilleonline.com | The Greenville News

It's telling me to pay $9.95 per month for online news content that mostly has photo galleries and ads. Why in the world would I pay that kind of money to see photo galleries of Downtown Alive and Main Street Fridays? I don't care about seeing pics of drunk people downtown. I doubt anybody else does either. If you want people to buy your paper, give them real news not stupid photo galleries as one of the top three stories on your website. The money from ad and subscriber revenue will come pouring in then.

Oh and I can get the same news content on WYFF or WSPA's website for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 06:46 AM

288 posts, read 948,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
Not if he does not pay for an online subscription as well. It is not going to be a package deal. They had the price structure listed the other day.
Perhaps they have decided to be lenient to avoid backlash from current subscribers. Or there is some technical glitch. But I only get the Sunday paper (just renewed it for a year for around $80) and I was able to set up a web account as a subscriber, no problem. It's a good thing. No way I'd pay for that site. Only thing I can't get elsewhere, as G-Man said, is 8 million user submitted photos. It's sad really. I worked for the G News a looooong time ago. Back when there was good writing and reporting.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:36 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,467,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelcat View Post
Perhaps they have decided to be lenient to avoid backlash from current subscribers. Or there is some technical glitch. But I only get the Sunday paper (just renewed it for a year for around $80) and I was able to set up a web account as a subscriber, no problem. It's a good thing. No way I'd pay for that site. Only thing I can't get elsewhere, as G-Man said, is 8 million user submitted photos. It's sad really. I worked for the G News a looooong time ago. Back when there was good writing and reporting.
I don't see the value either. Maybe the print edition is better, but based on the online content the Greenville News consists the following:

-a few stories about car accidents
-a couple of stories about arrests and criminal trials
-a very rare report about a company relocating here
-some Clemson and South Carolina sports stories
-tons of pictures submitted by users
-a limited number of AP stories written by someone else at another paper

As revenues have decreased, I am sure the GNews has had to cut staff and eliminate some stories. But if you had to choose only a few things to cover, why choose the mix above? I understand the Clemson and USC stuff, but an accident on I-385 that slowed down traffic for 10 minutes isn't a news story. It certainly isn't worthy of the front page of the website. Give me some national news and current events. What happened to the stock market? What progress is being made on the oil spill in the gulf? What are President Obama's approval ratings?

I see very little original reporting. Little to no investigative journalism. Almost no in-depth opinion pieces. Based on our newspaper, you would think that our metro area was much less than it truly is. It's really sad.

What I don't think they realize is that I can get almost everything they cover - and more - with only a few clicks of my mouse. Clemson news? I go to a site dedicated 100% to Clemson sports (which is free) and get much more current and in-depth news. I can go to Greenville Journal, GSA Business, and WYFF and read about business happenings (which are all free).

As I said before, my hope is that the Greenville News goes out of business so that their building's prime location can be used for something much better and more attractive.

[/end rant]

Old 07-02-2010, 09:06 AM

6 posts, read 11,836 times
Very disappointing for the sole reason that I obviously wasted 6 years studying economics. Sheesh, I always thought that when u are hemorrhaging money you should LOWER your your fees and demands from the consumer. I guess I'm just not as well-informed as Steven Brandt and Beth Padgett. I kinda knew I was in the wilderness when I could see that I could have both home deliver and an online subscription to the Wall Street Journal for about a third of what the News wanted. The News mixed and confused their editorials and "news" so well that it is sad the Gannett will have to find Brandt a fourth publication to ruin. He is, after all, a Gannett man through and through and Padgett is just so witty and intellectual, I'll miss her telling me via the legislature how I should live my life. It's such a shame that those incredible intellectuals are no longer available to those of us that so need their guidance and wisdom. Hopefully Padgett and Jeannie Brooks willl start a 401(c3) so they can impart their life guidance brilliance without charge.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:55 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,818 times
I happened to pick up a copy of yesterday's Greenville News and found an article about fireworks safety which told people to put butter on skin burns. THIS IS AN INCREDIBLY BAD IDEA. The salt in the butter will make it hurt a lot, and it can cause infections. I learned this back in fifth grade health class. I have to question whether the writer of the article did any research whatsoever.

I was going to go online to the article and comment on this but for some reason, logging into their website on Firefox causes an infinite redirect and I can never get to the article.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:54 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
I happened to pick up a copy of yesterday's Greenville News and found an article about fireworks safety which told people to put butter on skin burns. THIS IS AN INCREDIBLY BAD IDEA. The salt in the butter will make it hurt a lot, and it can cause infections. I learned this back in fifth grade health class. I have to question whether the writer of the article did any research whatsoever.

I was going to go online to the article and comment on this but for some reason, logging into their website on Firefox causes an infinite redirect and I can never get to the article.
WOW totally amazing. I find epsom salts works great on burns.

I use firefox and don't have any problem. If you have adblock you have to disable it on Gvonline.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:02 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,756,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post

You do realize this is unsalted butter, right?

Old 07-05-2010, 08:39 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
I realize that what is unsalted butter? 99% of the butter in people's houses has salt in it. The article did not specify salted or unsalted butter. And, regardless of whether it has salt, it will still promote infection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael VanRooyen, professor of emergency medicine at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
Butter was thought to coat the burn, but it can cause infection and create an environment for bacterial growth.
http://www.rd.com/living-healthy/7-f...icle14315.html

Old 07-05-2010, 09:22 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
and further, the quoted individuals in the article were not identified as MD's.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:45 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
I had heard for years that the butter thing was an old wives tale, and that you should never use it (although I never actually did any research of my own).

This article suggests the same, and quotes an MD from the Shriner's Burn Hospital.

Dangerous Home Remedies You Should Not Try
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area