Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 10:02 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,406 times

Advertisements

I already knew a couple of facts that were posted in a recent article, but I didn't realize just how bad off it was.

Apparently we are lossing about 2,500 travel lanes a year with almost 1,000 bridges in very poor condition. We also are in the top five for most miles with like the third lowest in associated taxes. It also stated we need to spend about 450 million more a year just to bring the roads to a passing grade ( C ) and then keep spending at that same level ( 700 million ) just to maintain roads at that.

I was wondering what your ideas about fixing the situation might be. Currently it seems our politicans are trying to ignore it until the system goes bust and I think someone even very stupidly said giving it money wasn't the solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 10:08 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,788,725 times
I support raising the state gas tax by 5-10 cents myself to help fix the problem.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:09 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
Raise the gas tax by one penny. Not sure what that will bring but something needs to be done and fast or we will not be bringing new business to the state.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I support raising the state gas tax by 5-10 cents myself to help fix the problem.
I don't see that happening as previous efforts have failed.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:13 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Agree. It's really the only solution besides possibly creating toll roads or fast pass lanes on interstates.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
Agree. It's really the only solution besides possibly creating toll roads or fast pass lanes on interstates.
We already have a toll road in the Upstate that isn't pulling it's own weight.

If the gas tax is increased those that use the roads the most will be footing the bill; that seems fair to me. How many gallons do you suppose this state uses per year? Anybody know how to get that information?

Old 05-27-2012, 11:38 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
We already have a toll road in the Upstate that isn't pulling it's own weight.

If the gas tax is increased those that use the roads the most will be footing the bill; that seems fair to me. How many gallons do you suppose this state uses per year? Anybody know how to get that information?
What about adding lanes that can only be accessed if you pay an extra fee. They could use something like the palmetto pass. Just add an extra lane to 85 or 385. It would be pretty sweet.

Though I think the gas tax should be raised as well.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:02 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,406 times
There's two problems I see with the gas tax and raising it.

1) the gas taxes are only partially used for fixing the roads, I think that's part of the reason trying to raise it failed.
2) one (and due to our lack of progress distant day) day people will be using public transportation and also gas may not be used at all.

Perhaps the best thing at this time is to set more of gas tax revenues aside to the roads and raise it a few cents since each cent equals tens of millions or even hundreds of millions and possibly find a way to tax passed on miles driven.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:20 AM

745 posts, read 2,233,003 times
Gas tax is the fairest. You're using the highway; you should pay for its upkeep. Tolls only collect money on certain roads, but all of the roads need maintenance. Plus, tolls are a nuisance for tourists and others that don't have a pass. SC gas taxes are relatively low; a few more cents wouldn't hurt that much.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:43 AM

192 posts, read 429,467 times
**Warning: Sarcasm follows**

But if we raise our gas tax, what will all those people in North Carolina do? They won't be able to slide across the state line and fill up with our cheap gas and then slide back home!

**End of Sarcasm**
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area