U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2010, 10:06 AM

11 posts, read 20,769 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to the spartanburg area next week because of a work. We are moving to an area off of John Dodd rd. which is north west of the 85 and 26 intersection. The Schools are Doorman and Fairview. Please give me some information about the area. This was a spur of the moment situation but i think in the long run it will be a great decision.
Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 01:55 PM

301 posts, read 740,164 times
Fairview? Do you mean Fairforest?

Dorman is a really great school but it is one of the largest schools in the state.

But for pros and cons... it really depends on what you want or need. What type of information are you seeking? There are a lot of different directions that one could go in regards to more information about Spartanburg.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:06 AM

Well just in general what the area is like, proximity to shopping and stuff to do. This area is off of John dodd rd and new cut rd, does anyone know that are? I have heard some good things and some really bad things about the city in general, just give me your take on the area. I could not move to greenville because it was too far away from work, i have to stay within a certain distance. So with that being said Spartanburg was the next biggest city.

Thanks

Old 08-01-2010, 02:10 PM

892 posts, read 2,048,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls143 View Post
Well just in general what the area is like, proximity to shopping and stuff to do. This area is off of John dodd rd and new cut rd, does anyone know that are? I have heard some good things and some really bad things about the city in general, just give me your take on the area. I could not move to greenville because it was too far away from work, i have to stay within a certain distance. So with that being said Spartanburg was the next biggest city.

Thanks
The area you are moving to around the intersection of John Dodd and New Cut is a area very well-located in the county. It's a more suburban/rural area (there are some nice subdivisions in that area). It's very close to Inman which is a small town with a nice downtown area and several grocery stores, etc. You won't be too far from the Westgate Mall and some of the major shopping and dining in Spartanburg--just a few miles down New Cut to I-26 East and a few exits down to the westside of Spartanburg. Not too much further to downtown Spartanburg from there. You'll also be close to Greer which is going the other way towards Greenville--just take John Dodd Rd. down into Lyman (another small town) and hop on Wade Hampton Blvd.

Anyway, I think you'll find that you will be convenient to lots of stuff. Dorman is a great school too, but I didn't think that part of the county you are describing is zoned for Dorman.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll love the area!

Old 08-02-2010, 03:55 PM

30 posts, read 45,554 times
Glad to have you here. Fairforest is the name and a new school at that!

Old 08-04-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GladToBeInSpartanburg View Post
Glad to have you here. Fairforest is the name and a new school at that!
Fairforest isn't that new. My aunt retired teaching from there about seven or eight years ago and she had already been teaching there for something like 20 or 30 years. Or did they recently build a new school building? I don't really keep up with district 6...

Dorman is in a relatively new school building. I believe that it opened about eight years ago? I only remember because my cousin was a freshman in the first year that they had the new campus.

The westside is a nice area with lots of shopping and a couple of restaurants (plus all of your fast-food.) The mall is there as well as the Dorman Center (which is a shopping center where Dorman High School used to be.) And if you're a book-reader or a musician, you have Barnes And Noble as well as Music And Arts over there.

Oh, and there's a nice movie theater: Spartan 16. Stadium seating. I think the ticket prices there are actually cheaper than at Carmike on the east side.

I say the con is the traffic... but it probably isn't as bad as Greenville. The eastside is a lot easier to get around, but has less, so it's a trade.

Inman is a nice quaint town, but I'd say that their downtown is dead and has been for some time. (Landrum's is by far more alive.) They do have some cool events though, such as the Harvest Festival.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:26 PM

17 posts, read 48,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls143 View Post
My family is moving to the spartanburg area next week because of a work. We are moving to an area off of John Dodd rd. which is north west of the 85 and 26 intersection. The Schools are Doorman and Fairview. Please give me some information about the area. This was a spur of the moment situation but i think in the long run it will be a great decision.
Thanks
You will enjoy your new town.

Dorman / Fairforest are awesome schools. Teachers are exceptional.

But one of the best and most important qualities I can name quickly is law enforcement. The sherif in Spartanburg is the best..Chuck Wright.
He hates crime,I mean hates it!! And he is sympathetic toward victims.
The deputies there are professional and courteous. And you are moving less than 12 miles from their big office on Howard Street !

Spartanburg County is NOT the town you want to live in if you are a criminal. AND I feel the same way about our sheriff and his team in Greenville. Both towns are better because of their law enforcement.

No, I am not affiliated in any way with law enforcement. It was my thoughts and I wrote them !

USAC

Old 08-04-2010, 01:58 PM

30 posts, read 45,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogax3Girl View Post
Fairforest isn't that new. My aunt retired teaching from there about seven or eight years ago and she had already been teaching there for something like 20 or 30 years. Or did they recently build a new school building? I don't really keep up with district 6...

Dorman is in a relatively new school building. I believe that it opened about eight years ago? I only remember because my cousin was a freshman in the first year that they had the new campus.

The westside is a nice area with lots of shopping and a couple of restaurants (plus all of your fast-food.) The mall is there as well as the Dorman Center (which is a shopping center where Dorman High School used to be.) And if you're a book-reader or a musician, you have Barnes And Noble as well as Music And Arts over there.

Oh, and there's a nice movie theater: Spartan 16. Stadium seating. I think the ticket prices there are actually cheaper than at Carmike on the east side.

I say the con is the traffic... but it probably isn't as bad as Greenville. The eastside is a lot easier to get around, but has less, so it's a trade.

Inman is a nice quaint town, but I'd say that their downtown is dead and has been for some time. (Landrum's is by far more alive.) They do have some cool events though, such as the Harvest Festival.
Fairforest Elementary has been around for years BUT its in a NEW building. It was built several miles away from the old school where your aunt taught.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:43 AM

My aunt taught at Fairforest Middle School. I assumed that the op was talking about the MS, since they also referred to Dorman...

But they're all decent schools.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:41 AM

Thank you all for your great advice. I am looking forward to my relocation and am finding as time goes on what a great part of the country this is. And coming from south Florida I am so happy i have found where all of the nice people live!! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area