Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:01 AM

49 posts, read 102,927 times

Advertisements

I hear a lot about Southerners calling Northerners Yankees. Just wondering if that applies to Canadians as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 09:03 AM

182 posts, read 350,812 times
We just ignore Canadians.

Really, though, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I grew up in Ohio, and have lived in SC for 18 years. I've been called a Yankee, a Buckeye, and other regional names, all in fun, never once in a negative sense. Does it happen? Sure, but those who do it in a negative connotation are likely ignorant themselves and not worth the bother.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:06 AM

HAHA! Works for me

Old 07-27-2010, 09:25 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times
Anybudy that don't talk Suthern is a Yankee (or a Furriner!).

Don't even worry about something that trivial - "the more, the merrier"!

Old 07-27-2010, 10:41 AM

696 posts, read 1,335,467 times
As a twist, my wife is from Michigan and I call her Canadian quite often, but never Yankee.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:10 PM

301 posts, read 804,429 times
Eh. It's kind of a fine line at to what is a yankee.

I always hate when I speak to people from other areas of the world such as England and they call me a yankee. I'm from South Carolina and am most definitely not a yankee, but other people outside of the US call us all yankees which makes no sense to me.

However, simply because you're from the North and most people see very little difference in Canada/US, you'd probably be able to consider yourself a yankee if you wanted to. I don't even think your dialect really distinguishes you, simply because the southern dialect(s) are so much different from the Northern US one anyways.

But no one honestly cares. In my family, if we talk about yankees, it's mostly just us joking about how they're new to our culture and don't understand the whole waving/thank you/yes ma'am/yes sir type of thing.

And to point out how thin that line is... I've met people from Maryland/Virginia who consider themselves to be southern, but I've always been under the impression while living here that they're northerners/yankees.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:14 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
the archetype of the "Yankee" is someone from a big city in the northeast who wouldn't shut up if his/her life depended on it. someone who thinks their local customs should apply here, too.

so it really doesn't matter where you're from; if you give people the impression that you're from a big city, and you're here to "run the show" and tell these hicks how to do it, then you'll be a yankee.

Last edited by le roi; 07-27-2010 at 12:28 PM..

Old 07-27-2010, 12:20 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
Just be polite and considerate; don't say "In Canada, we . . . .(fill in the blank), and try to assimilate to local customs. You'll be fine. It's the ones who come in and try to take over that offend.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:31 PM

288 posts, read 949,085 times
My husband is Canadian (from Nova Scotia). In my experience as a SC native, Canadians aren't considered "Yankees." They don't seem to be perceived the same way as other "northerners." Canada seems so far away to most southerners that being from there automatically makes my husband interesting. It's a plus at parties. :-) A lot of people are amazed that it doesn't snow all the time and that there are beaches. No kidding. There are lots of Canadians in Greenville due to Michelin. Most love it here. In fact, we have a friend from Newfoundland who can't wait to retire here.

I think the other poster is right. It's more a personality thing. Maybe a big city thing. Canadians in general are pretty open-minded and friendly. Live and let live. Most don't have that brash, in-your-face stereotype that we've come to associate with "Yankees."

Old 07-27-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelcat View Post
My husband is Canadian (from Nova Scotia). In my experience as a SC native, Canadians aren't considered "Yankees." They don't seem to be perceived the same way as other "northerners." Canada seems so far away to most southerners that being from there automatically makes my husband interesting. It's a plus at parties. :-) A lot of people are amazed that it doesn't snow all the time and that there are beaches. No kidding. There are lots of Canadians in Greenville due to Michelin. Most love it here. In fact, we have a friend from Newfoundland who can't wait to retire here.

I think the other poster is right. It's more a personality thing. Maybe a big city thing. Canadians in general are pretty open-minded and friendly. Live and let live. Most don't have that brash, in-your-face stereotype that we've come to associate with "Yankees."
You are so right, people here do seem to be very interested in hearing about Canada. I am often asked about the weather and our health care. Plus people love to point out the "accent." I have been warned that the mantra here is "We don't care how you do it up north," so I try my best to keep my comparisons to myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area