Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 06:05 AM

49 posts, read 102,915 times

Advertisements

Twelve more days and my husband and I will officially call Greenville home!!! Because I am Canadian, I had to call around and get a new U.S. insurance company. Well...I called Geico. We don't get Geico here, but we do see the commercials every five minutes.

When the guy gave me the price for the same coverage I currently have I almost hit the floor!

In Canada, I pay over $3000 a year for 2 cars and we are preferred drivers, over 25 with no accidents or tickets! Geico is only going to cost me $918 a year! I can't get over it!!!! I also saved huge on my home insurance.

Now, I can honestly say "I saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico!"

I love SC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 06:39 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
We cut ours in half when we moved here from Chicago. If you're on a fixed income this is the place to be.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:43 AM

I wonder why it's so much less? Hmmm...

I am used to paying around $257 a month for the car and $84 for our house...Instead, now I can just pay the whole year up front and not worry about a payment. I love it!!!

Old 08-20-2010, 06:59 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,542,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamajama View Post
Twelve more days and my husband and I will officially call Greenville home!!! Because I am Canadian, I had to call around and get a new U.S. insurance company. Well...I called Geico. We don't get Geico here, but we do see the commercials every five minutes.

When the guy gave me the price for the same coverage I currently have I almost hit the floor!

In Canada, I pay over $3000 a year for 2 cars and we are preferred drivers, over 25 with no accidents or tickets! Geico is only going to cost me $918 a year! I can't get over it!!!! I also saved huge on my home insurance.

Now, I can honestly say "I saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico!"

I love SC!
How on earth can mere mortals afford to drive in Canada? Wow... I know the major cities have really good mass transit, but GEEZ!

Old 08-20-2010, 07:14 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamajama View Post
I wonder why it's so much less? Hmmm...

I am used to paying around $257 a month for the car and $84 for our house...Instead, now I can just pay the whole year up front and not worry about a payment. I love it!!!
That's even expensive for FL! We pay just over 300 a month, but that's with a 17 year old driver on our policy.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:17 AM

306 posts, read 689,519 times
I have had Allstate for 25 years. Our car insurance was cut 1/3rd and our homeowners went to less than half just from moving from Long Island NY to here. Don't even get me started on the Property Taxes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, I can't resist...I went from paying almost $10,000. a year to $900. a year for the same size property/house. I LOVE it here!

Old 08-20-2010, 10:14 AM

672 posts, read 1,417,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
We cut ours in half when we moved here from Chicago. If you're on a fixed income this is the place to be.
It's funny you say that, because we moved from Peoria and ours shot up 40%, with the same policy from the same company (State Farm). I went over to Allstate and now pay about the same. It's odd the way prices fluctuate like that.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
How on earth can mere mortals afford to drive in Canada? Wow... I know the major cities have really good mass transit, but GEEZ!
You crack me up... I am not sure how we afford it, we just do. Our property taxes here are also close to $3000 a year and even with all these expenses and sales tax etc....we have still managed to live relatively comfortable and we are by no means well off. I also priced out cable in SC vs Ontario and we will also be saving $30 a month.

I think the biggest shocker of moving to SC will be how much money we can save. And as a show of gratitude for our current decrease in expenses, I think I'll find a local charity to support. Gotta give to receive......

Old 08-22-2010, 09:47 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
We saved a ton on our car insurance with State Farm when we moved here from California, also huge savings on property taxes, registering the cars, sales tax, etc. Of course the biggest savings is on our home itself - about 1/4 the price for 2 X the home and 10 X the lot size.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:11 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrocker View Post
It's funny you say that, because we moved from Peoria and ours shot up 40%, with the same policy from the same company (State Farm). I went over to Allstate and now pay about the same. It's odd the way prices fluctuate like that.
I would expect Peoria to have lower rates than Chicago any day of the week; but 40% more here? Maybe you need to shop around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area