Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 11:15 AM

25 posts, read 64,432 times

Advertisements

My Husband recently accepted a position in South Carolina and I am terrified that my children ages 11, 9 and 7 will be discriminated against. We are of Mexican descent and presently live in a neighborhood that is more diverse than an international buffet (which I love). We have stressed to our children that it is NOT your nationality or the color of your skin that determines how you see, speak or act towards people; I believe my children understand that and they do see all people as equal. What do I do when I move into a neighborhood where my children may be judged and discriminated against because of their hispanic name or olive skin. I have three great, respectful, honest, smart, loving children that I pray don't have to face discrimination. Is my guidance enough to make them understand that they are special for who they are. Am I jumping the gun? Is my fear misplaced? I have to be honest, some of the posts that I have read make me want to turn around and tell my husband I'm not going!!! Or do I take a chance, take this wonderful opportunity my husband has been offered and take the leap of faith. I don't care if I am not accepted, I have developed quite a thick skin. But to an 11 girl who is looking for nothing more than acceptance, am I making a huge mistake? Somebody please tell me that Greenville is more than a city of biggets that are going to run me and my family out of town. Right now I'm feeling that this move may be a big mistake. I guess I'm just looking for a sign. I'd hate to get there and find out that we made the wrong move and my children are the ones who have paid the price. HEEEEEEELLLLLLPPP!!!!!

Old 04-01-2008, 11:21 AM

548 posts, read 1,980,111 times
where did you get the idea about Greenville? I haven't seen any posts on here, except from outsiders, which would make you think you'd be run out of town. I don't see why your daughter would have any more problem in school than any other child anywhere else.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:29 AM

I should also add that in my neighborhood we have or had families from France, England, India, Mexico, Yankees, Southern born and probably some I've missed. This idea that Greenville or Greater Greenville is a bunch of racists ready to string people up or run them out of town is crazy.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:48 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
I agree with Janrey. I have children that are of mixed decent and they don't feel the way you're describing and neither do I being a dark american. Greenville has the highest concentration of hispanics in the state if I'm not mistaken. Do some research. Don't assume everything and everyone in the south is backwards.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:17 PM

94 posts, read 377,940 times
Well, I can only speak for myself but it matters not to me what nationality, color or ethnic group someone is but how they behave and live as neighbors is more important to me.

I would not want gangs, drug dealers, those who are disrespectful of other's property, etc. around me, and I would imagine most people would not. That's much more important to me and my family!

Susan

Old 04-01-2008, 02:58 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,380,209 times
Hi Izzy20!

Greenville is literally loaded with hispanic transplants. I cannot imagine any school or organization around town that would not provide adequate and equal opportunity for people of all ethnicities. If anything, Greenville will likely surprise you by being quite advanced in its international diversity.

Don't be discouraged.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:16 PM

642 posts, read 2,088,843 times
We have tons of hispanic people here. You are not going to get discriminated anymore here then you would any where. Come on down to white horse rd it is like a little mexico. Im sure you will fit in just fine.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:07 PM

22 posts, read 93,957 times
Hi Izzy20,

The company I work for moved me to Greenville from Mexico 8 years ago...
Me, my wife and kids have had a great time in the upstate.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:40 PM

354 posts, read 1,077,866 times
Hi Izzy20!
I feel and understand your panic. I'm going through a similar process of deciding where to move my family. I'm not Mexican but I am Canadian and a Roman Catholic. In a prodominently Protestant area I was concerned I would be treated like an outcast.

I know there are no guarantees this won't happen when/if we decide to take the job however, I am coming to realize that people on this forum are only speaking from their own experience when they speak about the negative things in Greenville or the South in general.

We hear a lot of those "horror" stories when you live outside of any place. Somtimes they are true, but sometimes when you live there you have a totally different experience.

I'll tell you what I've come to realize after researching Greenville for almost a year now. For the most part........It seems to me, most of these Southerners really are nice people. It's unfortunate, but because of the past and the labels that were attached to the racism aspect of the area........it's understandable that you are worried.
I don't think you will find this to be an overall problem in Greenville. It appears to me like a city that is very alive with culture and open to new people. I wouldn't think that companies like Michelin, GE, BMW, Lockheed Martin, etc would open huge offices in "redneck" or "hicktowns".

I'm sure you will be fine.......Just like me!

Old 04-01-2008, 07:47 PM

To Acadian,

There are numerous Catholics in the area. Yes, you'll get some Baptists who think Catholics are heretics but mostly they won't say anything. Don't worry about it as you'll most likely get involved with those in your parish. As to being Canadian, not an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area