Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 01:51 PM

506 posts, read 1,222,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Only if you work at the bootstrap factory.

It's that sad acceptance of poor employee treatment that has slowly killed the working class in this country. I've worked at a few manufacturing places as a full-time temp, and experienced firsthand how disposible workers are in an environment of high -unemployment, low education and low pay.

Good on BMW for offering benefits and higher pay, but realize they are certainly an exception. How do you think their German employees would react to having South Carolina style labor laws imposed on them?
Last I checked, this was a thread about BMW, so who cares what other manufacturing companies do? The point is made at how BMW treats their employees, how other manufacturing firms do is really irrelevant to the discussion.

Also there is no relevance to how BMW has to operate in Germany vs how they have to operate in SC, so I'm not sure why this was even brought up.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:41 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,240 times
Anyone know how many of the 8,000 jobs at BMW-Spartanburg are temporary? How many are full-fledged employees?

Old 10-06-2010, 04:55 PM

98 posts, read 253,557 times
I see most of you people like to argue. This forum gives you an outlet for which you can speak. In real life you are weak and probably overweight. In the real world you probably shy away from confrontation. I simply tried to give some insight into being temporary at BMW. I told you people I worked there. Why would I lie? I have nothing against BMW. They provided a nice living for my family for ten years. I don't care if you have toured the plant. They don't show you everything for a reason.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:03 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,998,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellagrace View Post
BMW may hire 20 or so people every 4 years or so. That is to just keep people interested in employment there. I worked there for ten years and left. I was a permenant associate. All ten years were spent on B shift from 8 at night to 6:40 am. My best advice to anyone who wants employment there is to keep looking for permenant work. I now work for another up and coming company in the upstate. BMW helped me get my foot in the door, I'm sure of that. All said and done I'm glad I left. Expect to get laid off with little to no notice when volume drops. Good Luck, hope this helps in your decisions.
I love it when they boast of '600' jobs coming to -----.

Big whoop: GM laid off twice the total number of ALL workers employed by foreign auto makers in a single round, in 2008.

And lets look at the wonders being Germany's 'Little China' in the US has done for the Greenville and Spartanburg metros unemployment rates:

http://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm

267. Greenville-Mauldin-Easley, SC Metropolitan Statistical Area 10.3%

319. Spartanburg, SC Metropolitan Statistical Area 12.0%

The reality is last month alone, US manufacturers- GE, Dell, Cat., created 450,000 jobs in China.

That is 'our' recovery.

Last edited by Geechie North; 10-06-2010 at 05:13 PM..

Old 10-06-2010, 05:13 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,782,966 times
If you don't like the way free trade laws work, contact your local state senator and complain. Whining on the forum isn't going to solve the problem.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:13 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,374,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellagrace View Post
I see most of you people like to argue. This forum gives you an outlet for which you can speak. In real life you are weak and probably overweight. In the real world you probably shy away from confrontation. I simply tried to give some insight into being temporary at BMW. I told you people I worked there. Why would I lie? I have nothing against BMW. They provided a nice living for my family for ten years. I don't care if you have toured the plant. They don't show you everything for a reason.
By hurling such unwarranted personal insults toward people you have never met, the credibility of your thread-specific comments, regardless of how true they may actually be, has been damaged. It is no different than someone broadly labelling everyone who opposes the policies of the current POTUS a "racist".

Old 10-06-2010, 05:19 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,998,059 times
That is counting upon the pleasant fiction that the US is still a democracy; it's not- it is a plutonomy.

Even CitiGroup acknowledges this.

The 6 corporations which control both political parties- the US Gov't- care less about what the people (70% of whom are anti-free trade) think:

They own the decision makers.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:20 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,374,908 times
Regarding the weak U.S. economy, obviously liberal politicians are not the answer for recovery.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:21 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,782,966 times
I see this thread has officially gone off a cliff. Contacting a moderator now to have it closed so no further damage is done.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:24 PM

98 posts, read 253,557 times
I think you need to go back and read the previous threads. I was basically called a liar by people who know zero about the situation. That tarnishes my credibility. As usual you people want to gang up on someone. And I don't have to know anyone to make a profile of some of the people on here. I can look and see how many posts and how many threads they have. This tells me that more than likely they spend alot of time inactive and in front of a computer. So gang up, I'm ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area