Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2010, 09:40 PM

42 posts, read 105,694 times

Advertisements

Hi. Greenville just came up as a possible relocation for my husband's job.

My main concern is schools. We have had a horrible experience these last couple years and I desperately want to make the right choices.

I have a gifted child that will be entering 9th grade next year. She is primarily interested in liberal arts type classes. English, Literature, History are her best subjects. She is also a competitive swimmer. So I need a high school with advanced classes, AP or IB and a good swim team.

My second child has mild aspergers and is my "little engineer" type. He is brillaint, but that does not necessarily transfer to success in school. He is an A/B student and is in 5th grade. He excels in math but struggles some in Language Arts. I would love a math, science, technology type school fro him where he could excel in his area, but have found that most of these types of schools require high achievers in ALL areas and he could not handle advanced language arts type classes. Additionally, I am afraid that he is getting behind in math (compared to other schools) because of this horrendous school system we are in now. I am working with him to move him forward. He is currently interested in becomming an architect - but of course he is only 10! It does fit his skills, interests and personality!

One thing I have found (since we have been searching for over a year) is that many of the programs require you to be a resident and apply -- sometimes as early as December of the previous year in order to get in. As someone moving to the area, that wouldn't be an option for us.

Additionally -- because of the trauma both kids have experienced the last couple of years -- we are moving over the summer, but moving schools again is not a good option for either of them.

Can anyone give advice on schools for my circumstances or of people to contact?

Also, I have taught middle school language arts in the past in Florida and although I have not been teaching for the last 3 years, I would like to return next year. Are schools hiring in this area?

I am willing to live wherever would be the best school situation. We are currently living in a fairly rural area and I hate it. I like neighborhoods with architectureal itnerest, but would take cookie cutter houses in order to be close to shopping, restaurants, and culture.

Honestly, I lived just north of Palm Beach and loved it. I reluctantly moved away, and my preference would be to move back. But, we must go where the jobs are, so my main goal is providing a good education for my children. This would be somewhere that I would want to stay until both children graduate.

I have never even been to Greenville, and we will be making a trip to visit, but my husband must let his job know immediately if he is interested. Right now I only have the internet to go on.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 03:57 PM

511 posts, read 1,522,301 times
Have you looked at www.greatschools.net. It is really hard for me to say since my children are grown but my grandchildren go to Anderson District 1 and everyone raves about them. Check out schools in the Augusta Rd. area as well. We do have the Governor's School for Art also. I am sure others will post as well. I have a friend that has a gifted child and she went to a magnet school for years but decided to go to Greenville High for her last 4 years. She is extremely smart as well. Good luck with your search.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:05 PM

42 posts, read 105,694 times
Thanks! I have looked at greatschools.net, but have found that personal experience trumps these rating systems. Also, what is important to people varies, so I try to find people with similar experiences and expectations as mine.

I wil check out Anderson and Greenville though. Thanks!

Old 10-23-2010, 03:03 PM

68 posts, read 132,395 times
Look at St. Joes, once again one of the top 50 catholic schools i the US. If your daughter is a competitive swimmer look at YSSC at the middle tyger YMCA in Duncan. High school swimming is not as big here as it is up north, season is short. YSSC has some good talent

Old 10-23-2010, 05:19 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,962 times
I live in Gower Estates and this area has one of the most competitive, neighborhood swim teams in Greenville County. Check out Gower Swim Team.

As for an elementary school with a slant towards math/engineering, look into the AJ Whittenberg Elementary School of Engineering - brand new school. It's known as the most advanced elementary school in Greenville County and very close to the downtown area. For a middle school, check out Hughes Academy of Science and Technology (although this school has received some mixed reviews from the parents I talk to).

Old 10-24-2010, 08:15 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,848,274 times
I coach high school swimming in the GCS. I also teach at a high school in GCS. Instead of gearing you towards my school / program haha i'll recommend a few options for your daughter.

Greenville Senior High - they offer a magnet program that includes social sciences, social justice, law and finance. good diverse school with a lot of athletic financial backing. their girls swim team finished 2nd in the state this fall at the Class AAA State Meet. Definitely a good swim program.

JL Mann - their magnet program is math and science related so she may not be as interested but JL Mann's girls swim program is #1 in the state. they won the Class AAAA State Meet finishing #1.

Riverside - has no specific academic focus but is still a good school and has an excellent swim program.

Now the SAIL programs that are being mentioned here are very good and competitive but SAIL is shorter than the SCHSL season and SAIL teams only compete in Greenville County. Not exactly a stepping stone to collegiate swimming the same way competitive high school varsity swimming is.

You may want to get your daughter involved in Team Greenville. I have a few female swimmers from my team involved in it and they swim all year round and it pays off BIG TIME!!!!

Do not use greatschools.net. greatschools.net is a website for parents who don't want to do accurate legit research. the numbers are usually old (not updated) and are sometimes even completely incorrect.

Go to 2009 State of South Carolina Education Accountability Act Report Cards - South Carolina Department of Education (http://ed.sc.gov/topics/researchandstats/schoolreportcard/2009/ - broken link)

the above website will take you to every school's 2009 state report card. 2010 have not been released yet. once you see state report cards then i'd call the principal and schedule a tour. schools and guidance depts are always willing to provide this service to a prospective student.

i'm sending all of this in a PM to you and if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:17 AM

anderson 1 does not offer high school swimming (since that is something the poster mentioned for her daughter). the only schools in anderson county that do swimming are TL Hanna and Westside but they are anderson district 5.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:20 AM

i failed to mention after re-reading your post that Greenville High and JL Mann do not offer IB diplomas. they offer AP and IB courses but not enough to offer the IB diploma.

schools that offer that IB diploma are Southside, Woodmont and 2 other schools that escape me. Greer High School might. Southside does not have swimming and Greer's program is below average. your daughter if she is decent would be the star.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area