Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 01:24 PM

14 posts, read 53,171 times

Advertisements

Without getting into specifics about moving, we are debating a move to the Western Carolinas. Looking through what is drivable for work Spartanburg, Greer, and Arden (south Asheville, NC) are what look to be the three best locations.

Used the Best Buy trick to pick the locations. (My thoughts are if there is not a best buy within a quick distance, I don't want to live there because of the size of the town if it is there, although I haven't walked in to one in probably 2 years)

Anyway, which area seems to be the best? We are 31 (husband) and 29 (wife) with a 1 year old and planning on a second sometime. We like to be convienent to stores, restaurants, etc, but not in a downtown area. We are the type that walk our dog almost every night and are out of the bar scene, but still like to be able to go that one or two times a year.

We are planning a trip this weekend to check out the areas as the initial visit. Just wondering what the thoughts were from others. We are both home grown North Carolinians. Distances to parents are about the same from all and about the same from our current location in Wilmington.

And yes we will miss the beach dearly, so near by boatable lakes could earn points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 03:01 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times
Why is Greenville not in the mix? Greenville is arguably the best of the locations you mention in the Western Carolinas (although there will be numerous opinions on this). There is no Best Buy in Greer. The only Best Buy locations in the Upstate are Greenville, Anderson, and Spartanburg. Yes, there is one in Arden, NC.

I can also see that you are averse to a "downtown area". Have you visited Greenville's downtown area? It's fantastic and family friendly. In fact, many newcomers choose to be as close to downtown Greenville as possible. Of course, Falls Park is the focal point of the entire Greenville area (if not the Upstate). If you love to walk dogs, Cleveland Park (with the new dog park, "Canine Corner") and the Swamp Rabbit Trail (http://greenvillerec.com/parks/swamp-rabbit - broken link) are ideal. Both areas very close to downtown Greenville.

Please note that Charleston (with it's surrounding beaches of Kiawah Island/resort and Folly Beach) are a little over 3 and 1/2 hours away. Additionally, some of the most pristine lakes in the country are less than an hour west: Lakes Keowee and Jocasse.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:27 PM

344 posts, read 815,960 times
Most definitely Greer/Greenville. We moved from Greer to Spartanburg 2 years ago so that my husband could be closer to his base in Charlotte, NC. I can not wait to get out of here. The Greenville area is so much better, hands down. The crime in Spartanburg is terrible. We live in a very nice neighborhood (Converse Heights), and the neighborhood itself is safe, but we are surrounded by bank robberies, drive by shootings, etc. There are bad areas in Greenville, but they are generally in one or two specific areas. In Spartanburg the bad areas are all mixed in, so you're never too far from a not so nice area.

Aside from that, you just have a lot more options in the Greenville/Greer area. Sure, Spartanburg has all the major chain stores and fast food restaurants, but that's about where it ends. Your dining choices in Greenville are endless. All you need to do is drive through both areas. Greenville just has a cleaner, newer feel. Their downtown is AMAZING, great parks, great zoo, top notch medical care- I could go on and on.

Take it from some one who has lived in Greenville, Greer, and Spartanburg, the Greenville area is hands down the better choice. We are out of Spartanburg as soon as feasibly possible for our family.

As fas as lakes drfranklin is right- Keowee and Jocassee are beautiful. We are actually camping with 2 other families at Jocassee this weekend.

Good luck on your choice!

Old 10-12-2010, 05:40 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
If weather is a factor, then you might consider Arden. The South Asheville area has some of the best weather on the East Coast, with 4 distinctive seasons. Although you will get more snow than if you lived in Greenville, the cooler summers (by as much as 10 to 15 degrees) might make up for it. Plus, in Arden, you get beautiful mountain views when you drive around.

Arden has some lovely neighborhoods where you can find those mountain views. It is not too far into eclectic Asheville should you wish for a night out.

Asheville area does not have the lakes--but you can still get there within a reasonable amount of time.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:49 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times
I see this may turn into a Greenville (Upstate) vs. Asheville decision. As one who had job opportunities in both Greenville and Asheville (Hendersonville) - I ultimately decided on Greenville (please see my recent post in the Asheville sub-forum regarding my decision). Of course, I'd rather live in Greenville and have easy access to Western North Carolina.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:18 PM

6 posts, read 10,922 times
How about Boiling Springs? It's just north of the city of Spartanburg with easy access to I-26 and I-85, and is convenient to many stores and restaurants. I don't know too much about the area, but I understand there are many nice, new neighborhoods there. Another plus is Boiling Springs' close proximity to Lake Bowen, which is a popular lake for boating. You might also consider living on the lake, depending on your budget. I would recommend checking out the area, for sure.

You may also want to consider the westside of Spartanburg. Basically just west of that Best Buy location you searched for. The westside is also close to both interstates, is a very safe area, and has great schools (for your 1 year-old, eventually). I would say that the store and restaurant selection (including a large mall) is even better than Boiling Springs. I've lived on the westside for 20 years, and love the area. Many good neighborhoods, plus everything previously mentioned. Good luck on your search!

Old 10-13-2010, 06:42 AM

958 posts, read 2,620,500 times
I lived in S. Asheville for about 5 years. Found a job in Spartanburg about 3 years ago and commuted from S. Asheville for about a year, until school was out and then we moved to Boiling Springs. We don't miss much about Asheville outside of the cooler weather, between Spartanburg and Greenville we have about everything we had up there, at lower costs. Cost of living is definitely lower down here, especially the home prices, and gasoline. We still go up to Asheville a few times a year for concerts, etc.,

Old 10-13-2010, 12:37 PM

182 posts, read 350,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitMom77 View Post
Most definitely Greer/Greenville. We moved from Greer to Spartanburg 2 years ago so that my husband could be closer to his base in Charlotte, NC. I can not wait to get out of here. The Greenville area is so much better, hands down. The crime in Spartanburg is terrible. We live in a very nice neighborhood (Converse Heights), and the neighborhood itself is safe, but we are surrounded by bank robberies, drive by shootings, etc. There are bad areas in Greenville, but they are generally in one or two specific areas. In Spartanburg the bad areas are all mixed in, so you're never too far from a not so nice area.

Aside from that, you just have a lot more options in the Greenville/Greer area. Sure, Spartanburg has all the major chain stores and fast food restaurants, but that's about where it ends. Your dining choices in Greenville are endless. All you need to do is drive through both areas. Greenville just has a cleaner, newer feel. Their downtown is AMAZING, great parks, great zoo, top notch medical care- I could go on and on.

Take it from some one who has lived in Greenville, Greer, and Spartanburg, the Greenville area is hands down the better choice. We are out of Spartanburg as soon as feasibly possible for our family.

As fas as lakes drfranklin is right- Keowee and Jocassee are beautiful. We are actually camping with 2 other families at Jocassee this weekend.

Good luck on your choice!
I'd tend to disagree with your assessment on Spartanburg, and we live in the SAME neighborhood (though I have no clue who you are). I've lived in Converse Heights for almost 14 years and have never felt unsafe. Obviously you have a different opinion, which is fine...I just wanted to make clear that there are OTHER opinions on the same area! I'd guess yo've had a personal encounter that taints your opinion, but maybe not. Different strokes for different folks.

Let me know when your house goes on the market - I'm thinking about upsizing as my family grows, but I WANT to stay in Converse Heights! PM me...

Old 10-13-2010, 08:44 PM

344 posts, read 815,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopShotter View Post
I'd tend to disagree with your assessment on Spartanburg, and we live in the SAME neighborhood (though I have no clue who you are). I've lived in Converse Heights for almost 14 years and have never felt unsafe. Obviously you have a different opinion, which is fine...I just wanted to make clear that there are OTHER opinions on the same area! I'd guess yo've had a personal encounter that taints your opinion, but maybe not. Different strokes for different folks.

Let me know when your house goes on the market - I'm thinking about upsizing as my family grows, but I WANT to stay in Converse Heights! PM me...
I've never felt unsafe in our neighborhood (Converse Heights), and if I HAD to stay in Spartanburg, we would stay in this neighborhood. My opinion is about Spartanburg in general. Converse Heights itself is AWESOME. My neighbors are amazing, there are tons of kids, etc. If I could pick up this neighborhood and move it to Greenville, I would.

I know there are people who love Spartanburg, and who have a different opinion than me. I think it's all about what you're looking for. As far as crime, the statistics speak for themselves. We have met many great friends here, and while I do love Converse Heights, I don't love Spartanburg. To each his own, though. That's why it's good to drive around, check places out, and get many opinions.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:20 AM

6 posts, read 10,922 times
As far as crime statistics go, Spartanburg does have a slightly higher crime rate than Greenville. The crime rate is actually quite high in both cities compared to state & national averages. However, in both cities there are a mix of high crime areas and very safe areas. Check out these stats:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Pretty similar, right? Both have some really good areas, and really bad areas. Actually, the stats show that Spartanburg has a slightly safer Center City area than Greenville (though both rank poorly). Perception doesn't always equal reality.

Last edited by Yac; 10-22-2010 at 04:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area