Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 08:23 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,182,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
in Rochester where i'm originally from
Heck with the darn bagels, I miss Buckmans on the Ridge (now closed), Don & Bobs, Abbotts (though there is a great frozen custard place in Asheville)

Seriously guys, bagels are REALLY easy to make. I can't cook worth a darn, but I make pretty darn good bagels. I only use whole wheat in mine. None of the crap commercially made bagels have. Here's MY everything bagels, yummmmm!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 10:04 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Heck with the darn bagels, I miss Buckmans on the Ridge (now closed), Don & Bobs, Abbotts (though there is a great frozen custard place in Asheville)

Seriously guys, bagels are REALLY easy to make. I can't cook worth a darn, but I make pretty darn good bagels. I only use whole wheat in mine. None of the crap commercially made bagels have. Here's MY everything bagels, yummmmm!

fyi there is a hot dog cart at mcbee and main downtown that sells zweigles!

Old 10-14-2010, 10:19 AM

899 posts, read 2,287,991 times
Is Carolina Bagels still in the Bi-Lo Shopping Center on E. North and Pleasantburg? That was on par with places like Greenfields and Brueggers. Haven't been by there in a while.

There used to be a bagel shop on Woodruff Rd. called Budka's I think, never went there but it's been gone for a while.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:22 AM

899 posts, read 2,287,991 times
Quote:

Wow, those look amazing! You made those?

I have actually been thinking about trying to make my own bagels...I am just worried that they wouldn't turn out nearly as good as bagel shop bagels.

How do you make em? Got a recipe?

You've made me hungry!

Old 10-14-2010, 02:37 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,182,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator82 View Post
Wow, those look amazing! You made those?

I have actually been thinking about trying to make my own bagels...I am just worried that they wouldn't turn out nearly as good as bagel shop bagels.

How do you make em? Got a recipe?

You've made me hungry!
Yes, I made those! Actually, you may find out you like your own bagels better than the ones made at a shop. Again, I make mine out of whole wheat flour, I use half regular whole wheat and half white whole wheat, so there's definitely a difference in not only flavor, of course, than the ones you'll buy made with white flour, but also, these have more "substance" due to the fiber in the grain.

I'll P/M you either tonight or tomorrow with my recipe.

Trust me, if I can make bagels, anyone can make bagels! Hmmm, maybe I should hold a bagel making class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
fyi there is a hot dog cart at mcbee and main downtown that sells zweigles!
White hots? The only way I would eat hot dogs is when my Grandfather cooked them out on the charcoal grill down at the Lake (in Hilton) You're the second person in 2 days I've seen mention they're from Rochester. My entire family is from there, but I am not, though I spent many a summer there - it's been years since I was there. Any place around here like Savastano's?? Use to be a wonderful bakery that had the best cheese danish, any good bakeries around here that are good when you have a hankering for good cheese danish. Not ones made with the gloppy mess that comes in a plastic bucket they drop in the middle, REAL homemade cheese danish!

Old 10-14-2010, 03:00 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,942 times
Quote:
Yes, I made those! Actually, you may find out you like your own bagels better than the ones made at a shop. Again, I make mine out of whole wheat flour, I use half regular whole wheat and half white whole wheat, so there's definitely a difference in not only flavor, of course, than the ones you'll buy made with white flour, but also, these have more "substance" due to the fiber in the grain.

I'll P/M you either tonight or tomorrow with my recipe.

Trust me, if I can make bagels, anyone can make bagels! Hmmm, maybe I should hold a bagel making class.

White hots? The only way I would eat hot dogs is when my Grandfather cooked them out on the charcoal grill down at the Lake (in Hilton) You're the second person in 2 days I've seen mention they're from Rochester. My entire family is from there, but I am not, though I spent many a summer there - it's been years since I was there. Any place around here like Savastano's?? Use to be a wonderful bakery that had the best cheese danish, any good bakeries around here that are good when you have a hankering for good cheese danish. Not ones made with the gloppy mess that comes in a plastic bucket they drop in the middle, REAL homemade cheese danish!
MMM Savastanos, no I can't say there is, although I have heard good things about strossners. oh and yes, White hots

Old 10-14-2010, 08:37 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,469,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
For bagels, I have to go with Greenfields....they have the best lox.
I love lox! Have only had lox at Bruegger's, and it was good. I want to try Greenfields now!

Old 10-14-2010, 08:50 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,860,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I love lox! Have only had lox at Bruegger's, and it was good. I want to try Greenfields now!
Years ago in Seattle, a sweet lady at a deli we were in took time and gave me tips on how to build the perfect lox bagel. Spread the creamcheese first, THEN put the capers on the cream cheese and sort of mash them into the cream cheese....holds them in place.....then add the onion and lox on top, close. I had always put the capers on the lox and they rolled off. Simple things. I think of that woman everytime I have a bagel with lox.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:56 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,469,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Years ago in Seattle, a sweet lady at a deli we were in took time and gave me tips on how to build the perfect lox bagel. Spread the creamcheese first, THEN put the capers on the cream cheese and sort of mash them into the cream cheese....holds them in place.....then add the onion and lox on top, close. I had always put the capers on the lox and they rolled off. Simple things. I think of that woman everytime I have a bagel with lox.

I hate it when the capers fall off, so this is great advice!

Old 10-15-2010, 05:07 AM

1,886 posts, read 3,448,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator82 View Post
Is Carolina Bagels still in the Bi-Lo Shopping Center on E. North and Pleasantburg? That was on par with places like Greenfields and Brueggers. Haven't been by there in a while.

There used to be a bagel shop on Woodruff Rd. called Budka's I think, never went there but it's been gone for a while.
Carolina Bagels is still open, far as I know. It's over by Bob Jones U.

Far as Zweigle's hot dogs are concerned, I gather the guy who owns the cart downtown might become the distributor for all of SC, and Bi-Lo is supposed to be the store to get them. It just takes a while for things like this to happen. There's one really good all-beef hot dog they sell at Bi-Lo, but I can't remember the name of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area