Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 12:07 PM

288 posts, read 949,085 times

Advertisements

I know several Canadians here on work visas. You can get a license with a work visa, as long as you have all the appropriate documentation. And you'll probably have to go to a specific DMV in order to obtain the license. When my husband was still on his work visa, he had to go to the DMV over near White Horse Road.

One thing that's very easy to do in America... drive a car. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 08:50 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,538 times
Default more rights for non-Americans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelcat View Post
I know several Canadians here on work visas. You can get a license with a work visa......
And that is wrong, wrong, WRONG!

Old 11-26-2010, 08:30 AM

288 posts, read 949,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
And that is wrong, wrong, WRONG!
My husband had an H1 status and he certainly had a license. As do all the Michelin employes I've met who are here on temporary assignments. Albeit, all of these folks have obtained social security numbers. I think it is much harder to get a license without that. Perhaps you'd care to elaborate with more information. There are a million types of work visas and resident statuses. I only know about the ones I've had personal involvement with.

Here is the direct quote from the SC DMV
"All persons authorized by the U.S. Department of Justice, the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service, or the U.S. Department of State to live, work, or study in the United States on a temporary or permanent basis will be eligible to apply for a beginner's permit, driver's license or identification card."

As I don't like to just put info out there without backing it up or giving folks a way to do their own research, here is a link the SC DMV page listing the requirements. Just scroll down to the section "International Customers Who are Not US Citizens."

SCDMV Online: Accepted Forms of Identification (http://www.scdmvonline.com/DLidentity.aspx#NonUSCitizen - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area