U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 12:06 PM

915 posts, read 2,274,871 times

Advertisements

They have been clearing a heck of a lot of dirt (16.468 acres to be exact) in the last week on Five Forks Road between Roberts Road and Bellcross Dr. I just thought it was another subdivision, because Lord knows I've seen about 20+ go up around the Five Forks area in my 8 years here.

Anyway, driving by this morning, I was very surprised to see a sign...

New South Elementary School - Greenville County Schools

I can't find very much info at all about it on the school district website, but I would love to know the answers to the following questions:

1. Who chose the worst name ever? OK, maybe not ever, but still.
2. How big? (34% less acreage than Bells Crossing has)
3. Why there? I know we need a new elementary school in this area, but that's only 2.14 miles (crows flight) from Bells Crossing. I would have thought somewhere near Woodruff Rd/Lee Vaughn, not that I would have wanted an elementary school right on Woodruff.

Anyway, just thought I would share.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 05:52 PM

7,987 posts, read 11,986,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
They have been clearing a heck of a lot of dirt (16.468 acres to be exact) in the last week on Five Forks Road between Roberts Road and Bellcross Dr. I just thought it was another subdivision, because Lord knows I've seen about 20+ go up around the Five Forks area in my 8 years here.

Anyway, driving by this morning, I was very surprised to see a sign...

New South Elementary School - Greenville County Schools

I can't find very much info at all about it on the school district website, but I would love to know the answers to the following questions:

1. Who chose the worst name ever? OK, maybe not ever, but still.
2. How big? (34% less acreage than Bells Crossing has)
3. Why there? I know we need a new elementary school in this area, but that's only 2.14 miles (crows flight) from Bells Crossing. I would have thought somewhere near Woodruff Rd/Lee Vaughn, not that I would have wanted an elementary school right on Woodruff.

Anyway, just thought I would share.
Interesting.....seems like a very busy, high traffic area for a school.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:06 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,705,208 times
Based on the name, I'm wondering if it might be a private school...(?) Google doesn't immediately bring up anything useful.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:27 AM

915 posts, read 2,274,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Based on the name, I'm wondering if it might be a private school...(?) Google doesn't immediately bring up anything useful.
Not with the big Greenville County Schools logo on the sign.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 5,081 times
Default New Elementary School on Five Forks Road

I have quite a few concerns about this new school. One, the size of the property.....can you imagine the traffice on Five Forks in the am and pm during drop off and pick up times. This property isn't large enough to pull all the traffic off of Five Forks - there will be spillover. Next, in the 8 years I've lived here, they have built 3-4 new elementary schools, but no middle or high schools. Where are these kids going to go? Mauldin High can't handle all these kids. Finally, who named this school ??? Wouldn't Five Forks Elementary have been easier?

Old 10-15-2010, 07:43 PM

2,221 posts, read 3,419,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauratiggger View Post
I have quite a few concerns about this new school. One, the size of the property.....can you imagine the traffice on Five Forks in the am and pm during drop off and pick up times. This property isn't large enough to pull all the traffic off of Five Forks - there will be spillover. Next, in the 8 years I've lived here, they have built 3-4 new elementary schools, but no middle or high schools. Where are these kids going to go? Mauldin High can't handle all these kids. Finally, who named this school ??? Wouldn't Five Forks Elementary have been easier?

GCS will stick with their current 14 HS's for decades. with the majority of them being rebuilt in the last five years and GHS being renovated they were all built with the intention of growth obviously. although some like riverside and woodmont are now already over capacity they were all built with the other intention of being able to expand their present facilities for when the time came to witness growth they could not handle. to handle all the future 9 - 12 graders that live in the five forks area you can expect lines to be re-drawn so those kids will go to either riverside, mauldin, jl mann or hillcrest. if those kids get sent to mauldin, expect kids from mauldin to be shifted to jl mann. if those kids get sent to riverside expect kids from riverside to be shifted to eastside or greer. both eastside and greer are actually experiencing enrollment decline especially eastside. eastside since it is "trapped" between other schools is at the mercy of boundary shifts if it ever hopes to grow again. if five forks kids go to hillcrest expect everyone who lives on the south side of 385 to be sent to woodmont.

in the last 8 years ralph chandler in the fork shoals area was built. it took kids away from bryson and hillcrest ms's. now more kids from the 14 part of simpsonville can go to those schools.

and yes five forks es would have made more sense lol but its GCS remember

Old 10-16-2010, 05:59 AM

207 posts, read 522,982 times
Why does it have to be so complicated? The threat of boundary shifts makes it very hard to decide where to buy a home. I want to buy a home in a place where there is an established, good school system. But if I buy a home today in a particular area, it will not promise me my kids will go to that designated school in the coming years.

I do love it down here, but what miss about where I'm from is the straightforward school assignments. You live in a town, you go to that towns school. If it is a large town, then the town has an East and West or North and South school system. If you live in a smaller town, then the school becomes regional with the town next door. Simple, easy.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:40 AM

5,235 posts, read 8,245,048 times
The complex system probably stems back to when there used to be a real simple, easy system here: black kids went to school A and white kids went to school B.

In reading a little history of the area, this is also why there are so many private schools around. Private schools could pick who they allowed in.

Greenville: the history of the city ... - Google Books

Old 10-16-2010, 06:50 PM

66 posts, read 203,716 times
I was told that the new school would be pulling from Bells, Bethel and Bryson due to over crowding. I had also heard that it would be called Five Forks Elementary guess not. I got my info from some teachers and an assistant principal.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:55 PM

66 posts, read 203,716 times
I also agree about the traffic it's going to be horrible. I feel sorry for the people who live on that road Like Harrison Cove the noise and traffic ugh!! So glad we didn't buy a house there, we lived near a school once not fun!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area