Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 03:44 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,816,368 times

Advertisements

anyone been there yet? i'm tempted to drive down and check it out now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 11:22 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,805,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
anyone been there yet? i'm tempted to drive down and check it out now...
Checked out Trappe Door on Saturday evening with my partner. It gets high marks from me. My mini review below:

Atmosphere:
Near perfect. It is very much an authentic European cellar style restaurant. Low wooden ceiling (you know you are in a basement / cellar and it screams "cozy").....arched brick walls, low lighting, lots of wood (some architectural wooden pieces from older buildings used creatively). Other than the wood, a deep red is the only color used. The beer menu takes this shade of red to the next level with an embossed red unbound leather (soft) cover.

Drink:
100% Belgian beers, being a Belgian restaurant. Beer prices range from 7.00 to 15.00 each. An exceptional selection! Tried 4 various brands....loved them all. The beer and drink menu is a distinct menu separate from food.
On the liquor side, they actually have Absinthe.

Food:
The menu is authentically Belgian. They have one complete page of the menu devoted to Moules Frites. I tried the white & bleu....FABULOUS! I used the bread to get the last little bit of soup after I had finished the mussels. A choice of 8 or 9 mayos for the frites. My only slight complaint....the frites were not as cripsy or golden brown as the ones I've had in Europe.

People:
A great mix! It was nice to chat with the lesbian couple beside us and there were a couple of tables of gay men. There were families with kids. Young singles. Asian, hispanic, white, you name it. A good scene overall.

I'd love to know if there is another Belgian restaurant anywhere in SC....certainly not in Columbia where wings and pizza are the norm, and doubtful there is one in Charleston. I'm not sure there is a Belgian restaurant in many larger southern cities. Trappe Door is definitely a great place and a welcomed addition to Greenville.....it well help to push Greenville's solid foodie scene to a higher level.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:45 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,565,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post

I'd love to know if there is another Belgian restaurant anywhere in SC....certainly not in Columbia where wings and pizza are the norm, and doubtful there is one in Charleston. I'm not sure there is a Belgian restaurant in many larger southern cities. Trappe Door is definitely a great place and a welcomed addition to Greenville.....it well help to push Greenville's solid foodie scene to a higher level.
I'm not sure, but there is definitely no other city in South Carolina has the kind of European influence that Greenville does. I can't wait to try this place out!

Old 04-11-2011, 04:14 PM

144 posts, read 294,282 times
I was there in Saturday night as well. I enjoyed it but we were with about 9 people and nobody knew what they wanted the waitress was just not familiar enough with the beer list or the menu.

I give it a A+ on atmosphere and this will probably be a place I end up hanging out in a good bit late.

I would have to give it a c for food. I had the cheese plate, and Fish and chips. The Cheese plate was woefully unoriginal and a pretty mundane cheese selection on it and overall not much to it.
The Fish and chips tasted okay, and I am not one to complain abut not have huge portions. But this was really bad and puny. Everyone else at the table was just so so on the food. The food itself is not that expensive, however about the cheapest beer on the menu is 8 bucks so that bill can pile up fast.

I love the feel of the place but if I really want high end pub food I think Nose dive has Trappe Door beat hands down.

Its not a Belgian bar but Addy's dutch cafe is perhaps one of greenvilles oldest and best bars. It truly has the feel of a Euro pub, and the food there is great as well. If you have never been you should, it has been forgotten among all the new places that have opened but if you want a euro feel to your bar then you cannot forget about Addy.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttown View Post
I was there in Saturday night as well. I enjoyed it but we were with about 9 people and nobody knew what they wanted the waitress was just not familiar enough with the beer list or the menu.
Tip for your next visit.
They have a "cicerone" (beer sommelier) on staff. He came over and chatted with us at length about the beer selection. Great guy. Just moved here from New York, by way of San Fran and LA. Knows his stuff.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:07 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,487,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttown View Post
Its not a Belgian bar but Addy's dutch cafe is perhaps one of greenvilles oldest and best bars. It truly has the feel of a Euro pub, and the food there is great as well. If you have never been you should, it has been forgotten among all the new places that have opened but if you want a euro feel to your bar then you cannot forget about Addy.
A complete and total classic for sure! Love their goulash, schnitzel, etc.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:49 AM

24 posts, read 45,613 times
I went with some friends for a belated birthday celebration on Saturday. We loved the extensive beer list... so many options. Pages and pages of options of high-quality beer, organized by type. If you're disappointed by the short list of beers on the online menu, just tell yourself that the online menu lies, and there are plenty more delicious beers to drink. Their drink selections aren't exclusively Belgian, but most are in the Belgian style. There were a number of American breweries on tap that night, and I spotted Unibroue brewery in the beer list, too. Our waiter was pretty familiar with the drinks, which was especially nice because the draft choices had pretty much all changed since the list on the menu had been printed.

The moule frites were fantastic... I had the Spanish and my friend had the Provencal, and they were both delicious and came with a large portion of shellfish and plenty of bread to sop up the liquid. The fries were pretty good, although it turns out I'm not much for mayonnaise on my fries. Perhaps I'll try some different flavors of mayo next time, since there are plenty of flavors to choose from. The portions on the fish & chips were surprising compared to the other dishes ordered at our table. It came with only two small pieces of fish. And I do mean small... I've seen bigger fast food chicken strips. Still, that's my only complaint. Well, I wish there was a little more lighting. I realize it's supposed to atmospheric, but we seemed to be a particularly dark spot that made menu reading hard.

We'll definitely be going back, but I'm not sure if the Trappe Door will be my top choice or not. Guess I'll have to drag myself to Nosedive and Addy's several times to make a well thought out decision.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:16 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,487,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanime View Post
Guess I'll have to drag myself to Nosedive and Addy's several times to make a well thought out decision.
That's the way to make such an important decision!

Old 04-12-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanime View Post
Guess I'll have to drag myself to Nosedive and Addy's several times to make a well thought out decision.
Addy's will ALWAYS be a regular spot for me. Love Addy's. I just love that Trappe Door brings another dimension.

Many nights when my partner and I go out, we hit three or so places.....drinks and appetizers at one, drinks and soup at two, drinks and entree at three. Spread the love around so to speak!

Old 04-12-2011, 02:28 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,449,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Addy's will ALWAYS be a regular spot for me. Love Addy's. I just love that Trappe Door brings another dimension.

Many nights when my partner and I go out, we hit three or so places.....drinks and appetizers at one, drinks and soup at two, drinks and entree at three. Spread the love around so to speak!
Love how you guys have drinks at all three though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area