Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 08:27 AM

4 posts, read 8,581 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to Greenville. We fell in love with the city after one visit. He has a phone interview with Diverisified Electronics next week.

We also chose Greenville as our kids are spread out around the country, Illinois, Indiana, Texas and Florida, and thought this would be a fairly centralized area.

Any Rochester NY transplants out in the Greenville area? I would love any feed back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 09:14 AM

306 posts, read 689,368 times
I know of quite a few families from all over NY including Rochester, Syracuse, Buffalo, we are from LI. With the exception of 1 family, everyone loves it here and are happy they made the move. The 1 family I mentioned are just unhappy people and I believe they would find fault in anywhere they lived. You could sell your snowblower and shovel, so what else do you need to know…. : )

Old 10-27-2010, 09:40 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,839,501 times
Hi my wife and I relocated here from Rochester about 3 years ago. What would you like to know? I can tell you we love it here.

If you are worried about being a yankee in the south, don't. I honestly have never once felt discriminated against, there are tons of NY and it seems like Michigan transplants down here in the local area. I actually just joined a meet-up group called "yankees down south" which is going to meet at local restaurants once a monthish just to kind of network and meet new friends,(the group was just started but already has like over 70 members) but I have tons of native friends as well.
Do I miss anything? not really, my NY friends and family mostly, and some select foods(garbage plates, abbotts custard etc.)
Negatives? hmm...well greenville is a smaller city, and some ppl complain outside of downtown its super rural, sprawl etc. but I don't really feel that way. If I want big city Atlanta and Charlotte are 2 hrs away! I live in Easley and enjoy the fact that I live a little out of the way but close enough to downtown to be there in 20 minutes.
I've never had a problem finding a job and we moved here for my wife's job, so that's never been an issue, some folks have complained about the job market here, but I'm sure it depends on your field.
How long was your visit? my wife and I spent a week here our first time so we really got a feel for the area, I think that is important so you make sure it is right for you.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to PM me or post here and I'll reply the best I can, good luck to you!

Old 10-27-2010, 09:44 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
My entire family is from there, parents born and raised, though I'm not, but do miss going there, along with Buckmans (may they RIP) Abbotts (but there's a great frozen custard place in Asheville!) and Don & Bob - oh, can't forget Wegmans!!!! Browns Berry Farm, if anyone knows that off the parkway.

I know of at least 2 other Rochestarians that have piped in on this board, NOODLEKNOWLES and HOWARDROARKE, and I'm sure there are others. I'm sure you'll get others to chime in.

Last edited by Eldemila; 10-27-2010 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: Oops, NOODLEKNOWLES got here before my post!

Old 10-27-2010, 11:30 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,467,794 times
It's interesting to see people list things they miss when moving to a new area. I live outside the South now, in one of the most desirable places in the U.S., and I don't think it compares to Greenville at all. It's nice and has its advantages, but I miss a lot about Greenville and can't wait to get back.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:49 PM

45 posts, read 81,238 times
Hi! This is my first post, actually, although I'm a longtime lurker on this board. But I decided to go ahead and register in order to reply to your post. I grew up in one of the villages on the west side of Rochester, and my parents and extended family still live there. Most of my mother's family lives in the city, used to work at Kodak, etc. To give you an idea of where I'm coming from, I have also lived and worked in the Hampton Roads-area of VA, as well as the Boston area. Having lived in these various, very different places, here are my thoughts on Greenville after 3 years here...

Pros:
Cost of living is great. I am able to be a stay-at-home mom here, which wouldn't have been feasible in many other areas. Compared to the property taxes my parents pay, Greenville is much less expensive.

Downtown is charming, and we love how many outdoor (often free) activities are offered throughout the year. Lots of good restaurants (Although many are a bit overpriced for dinner, in my opinion. Even in Boston, we found dining out to be on average must less expensive.)

People are very friendly. While I do get the occasional "Yankee" comment it is almost always in jest, and there are lots of other Northerners in the area. Depending on your experience in Rochester, Greenville may or may not seem diverse to you. It is definitely more diverse than my small village hometown! But, having moved here from Boston, where I was good friends with people from literally all over the globe and attended a church where people from over 40 different countries also attended, it does not feel particularly diverse to me

Weather is very nice, although summertime will be a big adjustment. Spring is spectacular here, as is Fall, and winter is very mild compared to Rochester, you will laugh at people's reactions to the slightest chance of snow here. Summer is extremely muggy and hot compared to Rochester, and although people say it is cooler here than at the coast because we are close to the mountains, it still feels very uncomfortable to me during July and August.

Lots of outdoor activities for the enthusiast. Living so close to the mountains is very nice for the occasional day-trip. And the views of the mountains as you are driving around town are lovely. However, having lived a block from the ocean during part of my time in Virginia, I don't feel like Greenville is particularly close to the beach. The lakes down here are nice, although obviously much smaller than Ontario.

Cons:
Probably the biggest drawback for us has been the difficulty in making friends. Yes, people here are friendlier than in the North, but we have found that it is difficult to really get to know people in Greenville and strike up deeper friendships. Although Greenville is technically a city, it is still a small city (much smaller than Rochester), and I sometimes think it feels more like a very large small town. Most people we have met seem to have either grown up here, gone to Furman or Clemson, etc., and are therefore already well-connected and have their own circles of friends. I know that this hasn't been the case of many people on this forum, but it has been our experience.

Groceries. Yes, Publix is very nice, but it just doesn't compare to Wegmans. Also, I have noticed when visiting my parents that groceries here in Greenville are definitely more expensive. Also, I really miss the abundance of farmer's markets in the Rochester area. There is a very nice market held here on Saturday mornings, but nothing like the large public market in Rochester, and I have found very few local farmer's markets that are open throughout the week (as is the case on the west side of Rochester).

I am a history buff, and always wish that there were a bit more history-related things to do in the area. The other places I've lived have definitely had more of that. Maybe this doesn't matter at all to other people, but I really miss it.

Outside of downtown, Greenville is, in my opinion, a bit ugly. Lots of strip malls, enormous billboards, etc. Think Route 104 in Greece. And downtown, which as I said previously is lovely, can seem a bit "whitewashed." There is a lot of poverty in this area, but you wouldn't know it to be in downtown Greenville. While I appreciate that the city has worked so hard to make downtown a family-friendly area, Main Street also doesn't reflect the reality of life in the rest of the city. Also, I don't know how Greenville's crime rate compares to Rochester's, but I do have to say that it seems rather high here for a city of this size. I live within the city limits, and while I love my home, I feel less safe walking and driving around here than I did in the city of Boston.

Well, there is probably more, and I'll post again if I think of something. Sorry that this is so long, I got a bit carried away. Really, Greenville is a very nice place, with a good quality of life for many people. Best of luck in your decision!

Old 10-27-2010, 12:58 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,176 times
We've been here for 2 years, after living in Columbia for a year. So, 3 years away from Rochester. We love it here, and feel we made the right choice for our family (we have 2 young kids). Wife spent some years growing up in Columbia, so it wasn't too much of a stretch for her, and I fell in love with this place when we first checked it out.

Here's a thread where some of us ex-pats chimed in:

//www.city-data.com/forum/green...l#post16216262

We've met many, and I mean many, folks from the Finger Lakes region since moving to here, and it seems we meet people from Rochester on Main St., downtown Greenville, every time we're there. It helps there's a guy from Wayne Cty. who owns a Zweigle's cart on Main, plus he's at the ball games, so Rochester folks tend to gravitate towards the cart and congregate. He'll even sell 6 packs of dogs if he has a lot of them.

The culture shock part for me was coming here as a harried, stressed-out Rochesterian who couldn't stand the political gridlock, taxes, weather, and zero, long-term economic growth in that area, and having to adjust my outlook on life accordingly. Greenville has been a breath of fresh air. Despite all the negatives a lot of folks harp on (mainly economic, and there are some valid points to be made), this area thrived before the downturn, and is poised for long-term growth. The region has over $2B in economic development coming down the pike, in fact I think most of the recently announced projects are underway. To say I've never seen anything like this in my life would be an understatement.

Feel free to ask questions, here, and PM me.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:23 PM
LCM

77 posts, read 185,314 times
As another transplant from upstate New York, I agree with most everything said so far. The property taxes and weather are HUGE pros. The only real drawback is no Wegmans. Oh, how I miss Wegs. But we do have a Trader Joe's now. That helps :-)

Old 10-28-2010, 09:07 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
For those who miss Don and Bobs or Abbotts - take a drive up to Asheville to CinToms Frozen Custard on Sweeten Creek Road - nicest guy owns it and has great custard. His Wiscolina Pie (an original recipe) is delish (if he has it) with a scoop of vanilla. Check for hours, their short in the winter time

CinTom's Frozen Custard

If you have kids, they'll love it - there's game tables, toys, place is really cute. If Tom is there, he'll don a jesters hat - and make the Knight in Shining Armor "talk" to the kids - my nieces LOVE going when they visit the Carolinas!

Old 11-01-2010, 04:47 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribe Pride View Post
Hi! This is my first post, actually, although I'm a longtime lurker on this board. But I decided to go ahead and register in order to reply to your post. I grew up in one of the villages on the west side of Rochester, and my parents and extended family still live there. Most of my mother's family lives in the city, used to work at Kodak, etc. To give you an idea of where I'm coming from, I have also lived and worked in the Hampton Roads-area of VA, as well as the Boston area. Having lived in these various, very different places, here are my thoughts on Greenville after 3 years here...

Pros:
Cost of living is great. I am able to be a stay-at-home mom here, which wouldn't have been feasible in many other areas. Compared to the property taxes my parents pay, Greenville is much less expensive.

Downtown is charming, and we love how many outdoor (often free) activities are offered throughout the year. Lots of good restaurants (Although many are a bit overpriced for dinner, in my opinion. Even in Boston, we found dining out to be on average must less expensive.)

People are very friendly. While I do get the occasional "Yankee" comment it is almost always in jest, and there are lots of other Northerners in the area. Depending on your experience in Rochester, Greenville may or may not seem diverse to you. It is definitely more diverse than my small village hometown! But, having moved here from Boston, where I was good friends with people from literally all over the globe and attended a church where people from over 40 different countries also attended, it does not feel particularly diverse to me

Weather is very nice, although summertime will be a big adjustment. Spring is spectacular here, as is Fall, and winter is very mild compared to Rochester, you will laugh at people's reactions to the slightest chance of snow here. Summer is extremely muggy and hot compared to Rochester, and although people say it is cooler here than at the coast because we are close to the mountains, it still feels very uncomfortable to me during July and August.

Lots of outdoor activities for the enthusiast. Living so close to the mountains is very nice for the occasional day-trip. And the views of the mountains as you are driving around town are lovely. However, having lived a block from the ocean during part of my time in Virginia, I don't feel like Greenville is particularly close to the beach. The lakes down here are nice, although obviously much smaller than Ontario.

Cons:
Probably the biggest drawback for us has been the difficulty in making friends. Yes, people here are friendlier than in the North, but we have found that it is difficult to really get to know people in Greenville and strike up deeper friendships. Although Greenville is technically a city, it is still a small city (much smaller than Rochester), and I sometimes think it feels more like a very large small town. Most people we have met seem to have either grown up here, gone to Furman or Clemson, etc., and are therefore already well-connected and have their own circles of friends. I know that this hasn't been the case of many people on this forum, but it has been our experience.

Groceries. Yes, Publix is very nice, but it just doesn't compare to Wegmans. Also, I have noticed when visiting my parents that groceries here in Greenville are definitely more expensive. Also, I really miss the abundance of farmer's markets in the Rochester area. There is a very nice market held here on Saturday mornings, but nothing like the large public market in Rochester, and I have found very few local farmer's markets that are open throughout the week (as is the case on the west side of Rochester).

I am a history buff, and always wish that there were a bit more history-related things to do in the area. The other places I've lived have definitely had more of that. Maybe this doesn't matter at all to other people, but I really miss it.

Outside of downtown, Greenville is, in my opinion, a bit ugly. Lots of strip malls, enormous billboards, etc. Think Route 104 in Greece. And downtown, which as I said previously is lovely, can seem a bit "whitewashed." There is a lot of poverty in this area, but you wouldn't know it to be in downtown Greenville. While I appreciate that the city has worked so hard to make downtown a family-friendly area, Main Street also doesn't reflect the reality of life in the rest of the city. Also, I don't know how Greenville's crime rate compares to Rochester's, but I do have to say that it seems rather high here for a city of this size. I live within the city limits, and while I love my home, I feel less safe walking and driving around here than I did in the city of Boston.

Well, there is probably more, and I'll post again if I think of something. Sorry that this is so long, I got a bit carried away. Really, Greenville is a very nice place, with a good quality of life for many people. Best of luck in your decision!
Excellent, thoughtful post. You and I have a similar take on this area, with some similar experiences as well (i.e. friendships and Clemson/Furman cliques, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area