Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 05:23 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times

Advertisements

I know there have been threads about this but none too recently,, We are considering a job offer from LM . We live in Corpus Christi which could be worse than SOFL. My Husband is from Europe and, like he was here, is worried about layoffs, they will do that suddenly in the EU so it really sticks with him .. How often do they do this in Greenville?? he's a licensed A&P aviation mechanic( 23 years ) ,, so he works on all of it ( anything that flies) LM is really pursuing him and I was just wondering . We are in out late 40's and dont want to move around too much anymore if we dont have too and it is a long way from here to there .....

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 05:52 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
LM in Greenville is kind of under the microscope at the moment due to reported work quality issues. With that said, they also just got part of a new work contract, so things can't be that bad there. Like any other similar company, their workload (hence, need for workers) ebbs & flows with the contracts they're awarded.

However, Stevens Aviation might be another employment opportunity. They have maintenance facilities at 2 Greenville area airports (GSP & GYH). If business aviation picks up with the economy, they could need more workers as well.

Good luck!

Old 10-28-2010, 06:52 AM

Yeah ,, thats kind of how it is here too ,, plus there is bad management at this NAS here and they just lost a big contract .. no layoffs but pay cuts here .. LM is ofering to FLY him out there to take the practical assesment he did the theory over the phone .. I have never had a company offer to fly him anywhere except for an assignment .. we have a bit of time to think about this ,, all opinions help alot .

Old 10-28-2010, 08:04 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,182 times
I understand your concern......unfortunately we can all give you our opinion on this forum but no one can give you a guarantee that your husband wont be laid off after moving to Greenville.

I was working for Pfizer (worlds largest pharmaceutical company) in the corporate headquarters in NYC......I too was heavily pursued, they had a position in their South Carolina location that they were having a hard time filling......they flew me down from NYC on a Friday morning, by the time I got back on the plane that afternoon to return home to NYC they had already emailed me a job offer.....that following Monday I accepted. The job came with a nice office, corporate American Express card and was allowed to keep the same NYC salary plus a few thousand dollar salary increase upon acceptance of the position. With SC's much cheaper then NYC cost of living a no brainer right?? Wrong! Two years after moving to SC they begin laying off.......well you guessed it, for the salary they were paying me they knew they could hire 3-4 people....I was laid off along with quite a few other people. These companies in SC have a tendancy to pursue candidates from higher paying states when they are having a hard time filling a position locally......then sometimes they begin looking for ways to save the company some money and decide that the out of state person is costing them too much money.

Moral of the story.....if you decide to move to Greenville you will be taking a chance with no guarantees. My best advice for you would be if your husband is offered the job and decides to accept it do not rush into buying a home when you get there......spend the first few years just renting an apartment.....give yourself a chance to see how things are going to work out......and if things do not work out then all you have to do is pack up and move without the headaches of selling a home. BTW, forgot to mention that I still own a house in Greenville that sits empty until I come for visits.....so now I am paying the property taxes and mortgage on a house that I do not live in everyday......could not sell it in this bad recession.

Good luck...

Old 10-28-2010, 09:14 AM

Thanks NY ,,, no we never buy for that very reason ,, he is a contractor and this would be direct which would be a relief if it works ,, even at 3$'s less than he is paid now . We sold our last house 5 years ago ,you are sooo right ,,,, after 23 years of responsible home ownership and breaking even on the sales,, the freedom for us is priceless,Some of us in the family show horses as well so that is an added issue but again well worth the freedom if you have to leave , we are also considering going home to europe.The contract here ,, which coincidently is my hometown is about to end anyway so we are at a crossroads ... opinions,, ,,,, hmm ,, I should have said points of view,, thats what I really meant to say

Old 10-28-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Moral of the story.....if you decide to move to Greenville you will be taking a chance with no guarantees.
Very true.... For any move to any city.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:18 PM

506 posts, read 1,222,655 times
I can't speak for LM in Greenville (I didn't even know LM was here) but I used to work near Lockheed Martin in Orlando and knew a bunch of people that worked there, and it was constant layoffs and then rehires, over and over again. Usually the people would get laid off, come to work at the place I worked, then leave later to go back to work for LM for more money.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:46 PM

Geez,, after this we may just go on back to the EU ,, we got burned really bad 2 years ago when we HAD to leave here( Corpus Christi) ....again NAS changed contractors ,, this one would only take American born citizens ,, so even though my husband is extremely legal and licensed in his field with a sec clearance we still had to go . That was after he trained his replacement of course. Anyway we ended up in OKC at a large aviation depot and it just went to he%% in a handbasket immediately. His co workers went to the top and complained and they brought us back here after 6 nightmarish months with $250 left in our pocket and three weeks to payday ,,, they just didnt have the work they promised him in OKC.. This company is now leaving .. I just do NOT want to go through what we did in OK thats all . We've got a few other options, I just wanted to check the odds of this working out .

Old 10-28-2010, 03:29 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,014 times
Quote:
I was working for Pfizer (worlds largest pharmaceutical company) in the corporate headquarters in NYC......I too was heavily pursued, they had a position in their South Carolina location that they were having a hard time filling......they flew me down from NYC on a Friday morning, by the time I got back on the plane that afternoon to return home to NYC they had already emailed me a job offer.....that following Monday I accepted. The job came with a nice office, corporate American Express card and was allowed to keep the same NYC salary plus a few thousand dollar salary increase upon acceptance of the position. With SC's much cheaper then NYC cost of living a no brainer right?? Wrong! Two years after moving to SC they begin laying off.......well you guessed it, for the salary they were paying me they knew they could hire 3-4 people....I was laid off along with quite a few other people. These companies in SC have a tendancy to pursue candidates from higher paying states when they are having a hard time filling a position locally......then sometimes they begin looking for ways to save the company some money and decide that the out of state person is costing them too much money.
Um, I believe the company you are referring to has its corporate headquarters in NYC. At least that's what you told us in the first line of your post!

Any pathetic attempt to criticize South Carolina or Greenville will do, obviously.

Quote:
Moral of the story.....if you decide to move to Greenville you will be taking a chance with no guarantees. My best advice for you would be if your husband is offered the job and decides to accept it do not rush into buying a home when you get there......spend the first few years just renting an apartment.....give yourself a chance to see how things are going to work out......and if things do not work out then all you have to do is pack up and move without the headaches of selling a home. BTW, forgot to mention that I still own a house in Greenville that sits empty until I come for visits.....so now I am paying the property taxes and mortgage on a house that I do not live in everyday......could not sell it in this bad recession.
The same can be said when moving to NYC and New York state. The same is true everywhere, actually. Do you really think everyone else here is that stupid?

Old 10-28-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
Geez,, after this we may just go on back to the EU ,, we got burned really bad 2 years ago when we HAD to leave here( Corpus Christi) ....again NAS changed contractors ,, this one would only take American born citizens ,, so even though my husband is extremely legal and licensed in his field with a sec clearance we still had to go . That was after he trained his replacement of course. Anyway we ended up in OKC at a large aviation depot and it just went to he%% in a handbasket immediately. His co workers went to the top and complained and they brought us back here after 6 nightmarish months with $250 left in our pocket and three weeks to payday ,,, they just didnt have the work they promised him in OKC.. This company is now leaving .. I just do NOT want to go through what we did in OK thats all . We've got a few other options, I just wanted to check the odds of this working out .
I DEFINITELY feel for you guys, but unfortunately, it seems that's just the way that particular industry works. We'd love to be able to welcome you guys as new neighbors, but you've got to do what you feel is best for your household.

Best of luck, and let us know if you have any more area-related questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area